Feel like a terrible mum and I want to climb under a rock and never come out again.

(20 Posts)
ImRonBurgundy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:15:07

I'm off work sick today with a sickness bug but I needed some stuff from Tesco so already feeling stressed and having hot flushes etc, I ventured out with DD in her pram. Anyway I was in Tesco, which was very busy, and I completely forgot what I went for because I was flapping and trying to move out people's way etc. DD had picked up some biscuits so I went to go pay for them just to get out of there and avoid a tantrum because I don't have the energy to deal with one today. The tills were busy so I chose one with the least people and the cashier says she's closing (fair enough) so I went to another and the cashier says she's closing (slightly annoyed but still fair enough) and then I went to a final till and the cashier says she's closing. So in a huff I went to put the biscuits back after I had prised them from DD's little hands. Another customer with a trolley was coming around the corner as I was so I stopped and reversed my pram to let her past and turned around to see if anyone was behind and I pulled my pram at a funny angle and it completely tipped up with DD in it and all my belongings ending up on the floor. I picked her up with the pram and made sure she was okay and then scrambled to pick my stuff up and get out of there as soon as I could as I was completely mortified!

I feel absolutely sick to my stomach everytime I replay it and like the worst mum in the world and like everyone was judging me. Please tell me other mum's have done something so terrible before and make me feel better sad

Lizsmum Mon 19-Oct-15 14:37:48

You are a lovely mum. You just had an accident with the pram. No big deal. no one was hurt.

I have in the past shut my DD's hand in a door, run over people's feet with a buggy ... i could go on but it would be boring.

ImRonBurgundy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:52:22

Thanks you've made me feel a bit better smile x

ThisFenceIsComfy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:55:49

Ah I've done worse and when I've been in good health! You sound like a lovely mum. Get some rest flowers

Sansoora Mon 19-Oct-15 14:56:04

Try and be kinder to yourself. cake brew

And At least you took DD home. My mum left me outside the CO-OP in my pram about 57 years ago and I'd probably have been there for ages if she hadn't popped into my nan's who lived round the corner from the ship and she asked where I was.

You're doing great. Really.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 19-Oct-15 14:57:49

My oldest is 14, he still laughingly recalls the time I accidently smacked him around the head with a metal pram, the time I poked him in the eye and the time I tripped him over and grazed his knee. My other dc all have similar stories.

We have all been there and done that.

You are a lovely Mum I'm not so sure I am though grin

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 19-Oct-15 14:58:38

Pan not pram grin that would be a different story entirely

ChipInTheSugar Mon 19-Oct-15 15:01:17

I used to walk through a doorway with a sleeping baby/toddler in my arms, misjudge the extra width I needed and whack child's head on the doorframe blush

Donge13 Mon 19-Oct-15 15:01:18

I once left dd outside the body shop for ahour (I completely forgot I had her)

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 19-Oct-15 15:02:56

When DS was small, there were occassions when his pram would tip back. It didn't happen daily or even weekly, but it happened with sufficient regularity that he would kick his legs in the air and pretend to be a beetle on its back.blush My mum left my DB outside the butchers.

Honestly OP, you're not a terrible mother, you're just a normal mum like tge rest of us.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 19-Oct-15 15:03:35

You see that as being a terrible Mum. I would have laughed at myself, and hope that others would have laughed with me.

OP - are you generally coping OK? That really is a minor incident on the journey of life. Do you need some support to help you manage DD and learn to laugh these things off there'll doubtless be plenty more similar incidents to come.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 19-Oct-15 15:15:12

I left my did at her dbs school one afternoon. IT wasn't till ds said "has baby gone back to hospital"that I realised. She was fine, teachers were all squooshing her.
In the throws of sickness bug last week I systematically locked every pin on every card in my purse. Get to bed-have you got someone to look after you?

Jelly101 Mon 19-Oct-15 15:20:36

You're definitely not a bad mum! Don't feel guilty. A few weeks ago I was carrying my DS and accidentally hit his head against the door. He didn't cry or anything, but I still felt awful. My family reassured me that accidents happen and it comes with the territory of having kids. thanks

KatharineClifton Mon 19-Oct-15 15:26:36

Once my toddler fell in the fish pond. It is said that as I turned round to talk to the other toddler I knocked him in with my rucksack. I obviously don't believe it, but it would be a logical explanation grin And I obviously didn't laugh at all, oh no not me, and I didn't spend any time removing my shoes and rolling up my trousers before rescuing said child - that would make me the most awful parent!

ImRonBurgundy Mon 19-Oct-15 15:27:51

Thank you ladies, you have made me feel loads better and made me laugh grin.

MrsLeighHalfpenny - yes I'm coping fine thank you smile just a crap day

sparklesnpearls Mon 19-Oct-15 15:31:56

My DD was four months old and in her pram outside greggs, I put the brake on and went inside. A big gust of wind was that strong it blew the pram upside down and DD came out into the hood because if forgot to strap her in shock.

She was fine but I wasn't!

ImRonBurgundy Mon 19-Oct-15 15:35:06

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis - unfortunately not, just me and DD. She's trying to look after me though bless her, by stroking me and saying 'oh no' when I have my head in the loo and bringing me her blanket grin

Ahh, I did that mis-judging the door-frame thing with babe in arms - I think more than once ChipIn Again, glad it's not just me
I think I did similar when I had a bump with desks and tables - but you hope they're better protected then don't you?
Hope you're feeling better soon Ron flowers

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 19-Oct-15 16:15:43

Oh bless her little cotton socks. Well you don't need me to tell you that all rules are out of window in such circumstances. She can have things on a plate for tea, get the TV on and snuggle. Hope you feel better soon.

ImRonBurgundy Mon 19-Oct-15 16:25:14

Thank you JugglingFromHereToThere smile

Thank you Ohwhatfuckeryisthis, we are snuggled on the couch in our pyjamas for the rest of the day/evening smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now