Do you live in a bohemian household?

(214 Posts)
mousiemousie Wed 08-Nov-06 18:29:53

What are its characteristics if so?

what a strange question?!!

misdee Wed 08-Nov-06 18:32:30

eh?

i love i na mad house. honestky its crazy here lol.

JoolsToo Wed 08-Nov-06 18:33:17

Twiglett is a Bohemian

southeastastra Wed 08-Nov-06 18:33:26

no boho's so last year

schneebly Wed 08-Nov-06 18:36:35

I am vaguely bohemian and married to someone who is vaguely chav!

lulumama Wed 08-Nov-06 18:36:42

we are shabby chic........

Blu Wed 08-Nov-06 18:37:20

Yes!
I would say so.

mousiemousie Wed 08-Nov-06 18:38:45

Come on Blu, you are the first to admit...can you put your finger on the elements of a bohemian h/hold?

SherlockLGJ Wed 08-Nov-06 18:39:56

It's a very tidy household, my cleaner is back. YaY

poppynboo Wed 08-Nov-06 18:40:02

Why - has someone said your is?

The dictionary says

1. Native of Bohemia
2. Same as CZECH
3. one who lives in an unconventional way

COOL!

Not sure if I qualify

TheHighwayCod Wed 08-Nov-06 18:40:24

twiglett ha a bohemian attitude to molluscum

poppynboo Wed 08-Nov-06 18:41:32

your is?

Can't spell, apologies

Sobernow Wed 08-Nov-06 18:42:27

There's area of Hastings called Bohemia - is that what you mean?

noddyholder Wed 08-Nov-06 18:44:09

We are def not average in our ways but who is?We are seen as a bit loony by some of our friends which surprised us as we thought they were nuts!My mum says we are but she is new money social climber so most people are to her

mousiemousie Wed 08-Nov-06 18:44:49

I think one of the qualifications is that the fly lady is anathema and cleaning is pretty unimportant. This appeals to me.

Sobernow Wed 08-Nov-06 18:45:38

Oh, well in that case, yes I do.

lulumama Wed 08-Nov-06 18:45:39

think there is a difference between a bohemian and a dirty household!

FrannyonFire Wed 08-Nov-06 18:46:05

Do you think

"Do you live in a dirty household?" might have been more to the point then mousie?

FrannyonFire Wed 08-Nov-06 18:46:24

LOL cross posts lulu

Miaou Wed 08-Nov-06 18:47:15

ooooooooh yes remember the molluscum palaver!

I guess we might be bohemian. Or maybe just opt-outers!

poppynboo Wed 08-Nov-06 18:48:16

need to ask Collins - its there dictionary.

Wouldn't have imagined Hastings as bohemian?

Like the idea of shabby chic though.

From the outside my place looks like a very respectably 3 bed detached - inside beautiful but mismatched furniture and very visual. Pictures and artwork everywhere, cats louging around, unusal light fittings and interesting objet d'art.

?????????

noddyholder Wed 08-Nov-06 18:48:43

Didn't realise it implied dirty!In that case NO

poppynboo Wed 08-Nov-06 18:49:03

done it again - their, not there

mousiemousie Wed 08-Nov-06 18:49:08

From Wiki:
The term carries a connotation of arcane enlightenment (the opposite of 'Philistines'), and also carries a less frequently intended, pejorative connotation of carelessness about personal hygiene and marital orthodoxy. Bohemians were often associated with drug use, alcoholism, and simple living.

“ The term 'bohemian' has come to be very commonly accepted in our day as the description of a certain kind of literary gypsy, no matter in what language he speaks, or what city he inhabits .... A bohemian is simply an artist or littérateur who, consciously or unconsciously, secedes from conventionality in life and in art. „
—Westminster Review, 1862[1]

The term has become associated with various artistic or academic communities and is used as a generalized adjective describing such people, environs, or situations: bohemian' (boho - informal) is defined in The American College Dictionary as "a person with artistic or intellectual tendencies, who lives and acts with no regard for conventional rules of behavior."

Many prominent European and American literary figures of the last 150 years belonged to the bohemian counterculture, and any comprehensive 'list of bohemians' would be tediously long. Bohemianism has been approved of by some bourgeois writers such as Honoré de Balzac, but most conservative cultural critics do not condone bohemian lifestyles. Ironically enough, bohemianism by definition can only exist within a framework of conservative values.

Noted New York Times columnist David Brooks (journalist) contends that much of the cultural ethos of upper-class Americans is Bohemian-derived, coining the paradoxical term "Bourgeois Bohemians" or "Bobos."[2]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now