Life's little disappointments?

(273 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Mon 21-Apr-14 18:43:19

Today I had a Krispy Kreme donut for the first time. Bleurgh. £1.25 of mediocre-ness. I thought it would be a little slice of heaven.

Also disappointing:
Lukewarm baths when you know that no amount of adding hot water will make it hot enough
The cherry blossom tree in the front garden refusing to blossom with the rest of the street
Not fitting into your pre-baby clothes despite being back to your pre-baby weight (stupid widened hips!)
When you order a curry or sticky toffee pudding and it has the nerve to contain raisins.

Any more?

Stubborncow Tue 21-Oct-14 17:29:38

Going to have a browse on a website at pretty things only to find the pictures won't load...

MyrtleDove Mon 05-May-14 16:31:40

Auntie I hate ketchup so I never eat my sausages and burgers with it! I have mayo and/or mustard and/or bbq sauce. However, it is standard for bbqs so would provide it for my guests.

OnlyLovers Mon 05-May-14 14:48:22

Innermagic, that's more of a major panic than a little disappointment!

AuntieMaggie Mon 05-May-14 13:29:57

Agree with so many on here...

But to add to the no gravy with the roast one... going to a BBQ at someone's house and they don't have ketchup not even the horrible cheap stuff! How can you eat sausages and burgers without ketchup?

ZingWatermelon Mon 05-May-14 12:51:27

when you need a big poo and not quite all of it comes out.
just doesn't feel right and not satisfactory enough

Innermagic Mon 05-May-14 12:19:04

Sitting on toilet about to do your business only to realise there's no toilet paper
Driving all the way home from town then realise you've let you m&s lunch sitting in shopping bag bit of the self checkout

Snatchoo Mon 05-May-14 11:09:43

When you realised you forgot to put your very expensive face cream on again.

Snatchoo Mon 05-May-14 11:04:20

Putting lovely line dried linens onto your bed only to realise a) the blood stain hasn't quite come out*; and b) you can't sleep naked tonight.

*blood due to period not murder. Ditto why I have to wear clothes in bed.

lurkingfromhome Mon 05-May-14 09:05:45

As others have said, eggs are a minefield of potential disappointment:

poached eggs: when the yolk has set hard, leaving you with no runny deliciousness for your eggs benedict.

fried eggs: hard yolk, or (much much worse): when the white hasn't quite cooked properly so you end up with a bit of jelly-like white in the middle of your friend breakfast. Boak.

boiled eggs: hard yolk so nothing to dip your soldiers into.

Lara2 Mon 05-May-14 08:41:51

Getting out of the shower and realising you've left the towel on the bedroom radiator, so you have to shiver and drip your way back to the bedroom because it's stupid o'clock in the morning and you are the only one awake.

TSSDNCOP Sun 04-May-14 09:38:26

Being invited out for Sunday lunch. And finding a roast is not on the menu.

People buying Christmas presents that are off-list.

That feeling when you drive away from the hotel at the end of a really fabulous holiday.

unlucky83 Sat 03-May-14 18:13:03

Supermarket beef after being used to nice stuff from the butcher...
Butcher is more expensive so we eat less meat but what we have is worth eating...
Stuck for dinner and there was some braising steak in the reduced section at ASDA (it wasn't 'value' it was extra fine or whatever asda's version is)
Thought not had beef pie for ages - I'll make that. Went to all the trouble of making it, homemade pastry the lot, mouth watery at the impending yumminess - and it was just 'meh' - beef was totally tasteless in comparison...wish I'd not bothered - or made the effort to go to the butcher after I'd had the inspiration...

Xenadog Sat 03-May-14 17:50:25

Telling the cashier in the supermarket that he has scanned your loaf through at full price and not the reduced one. He then rescans the reduced price in and only when you get home do you realise you have been charged both the full price and reduced price making the loaf more expensive than had you bought it at full price anyway!

ZingWatermelon Sat 03-May-14 15:34:58

grin @ contaminated!

watch out for toxic raisins!wink

DrCoconut Sat 03-May-14 15:31:51

Am with the raisins. Why is so much otherwise nice food contaminated with them? But not the hard egg yolks. I have to cook eggs really well, runniness is bleurgh.

ZingWatermelon Sat 03-May-14 15:20:58

Myrtle

gravy - yuck! I'm with him on that.
I do have an excuse of not being English though!grin

CheeryName Sat 03-May-14 14:59:43

Getting a flat tyre which knackers up your day and costs £££££.

Getting that sorted then DC making utter drama out of simple homework.

Hiding from stroppy DC in the garden and forgetting to bring a drink.

Grrrrr.

MyrtleDove Sat 03-May-14 14:53:06

Bogey best friend's husband doesn't like gravy and doesn't have it with a roast dinner or anything else. Very weird.

I might be weird too as I love a veggie pizza grin

bragmatic Sat 03-May-14 14:47:37

All your comfy undies are in the wash and you're down to that silly g-string you bought to wear under that silly dress.

mumsbe Sat 03-May-14 14:45:41

Planned days out to fun places and the kids throw a tantrum all day!
Booking your well needed hair appointment and your hair ends up looking worse
going to your favourite restaurant on a special occasion to find the usual chef is off and the food is awful
you find the most perfect jeans and buy them and when you try to find them again they are discontinued!

Bogeyface Sat 03-May-14 00:31:33

grin Cheers Zing, I think I may need large counselling with double cheese grin

lavenderhoney Fri 02-May-14 22:44:26

" Fuck off, Sarah" made me laugh the mostsmile that happens to me a lot, and I keep a smile on my face and say " great! She sounds lovely..."

Tesco have moved everything in my local store. The whole store has been changed round. Everyone there including the staff are so bloody fed up with it. If its not broken, why fix it?

And yes, I did try the online ordering only the delivery driver forgot all my dairy products so he had to come back at the end of his shift. Which was no good to me as I had to wait in all day for another delivery and dd wanted milk. Which, the tesco customer service said " was not their problem" thanks!

ZingWatermelon Fri 02-May-14 21:54:27

Bogey

that veg pizza must have been traumatic for you.thanks

If you want to talk to someone qualified in pizza related incidents and experiences the helpline number is 0-800-DOMINOS

wink grin

Bogeyface Fri 02-May-14 20:08:08

Vegetable pizza.

Or more specifically, being invited round to a friends for a girlie night with wine and pizza only to be presented with some peppered, corgetted, brocolli'd monstrosity.

I love veggies, dont get me wrong. With a roast dinner I will have no meat and double veg. My favourite meal is cauli and brocolli cheese. I love veg.

But not on pizza, its as wrong as low fat chips and alcohol free wine!

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 02-May-14 20:06:26

Defo agree on the sweet corn hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now