Life's little disappointments?

(273 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Mon 21-Apr-14 18:43:19

Today I had a Krispy Kreme donut for the first time. Bleurgh. £1.25 of mediocre-ness. I thought it would be a little slice of heaven.

Also disappointing:
Lukewarm baths when you know that no amount of adding hot water will make it hot enough
The cherry blossom tree in the front garden refusing to blossom with the rest of the street
Not fitting into your pre-baby clothes despite being back to your pre-baby weight (stupid widened hips!)
When you order a curry or sticky toffee pudding and it has the nerve to contain raisins.

Any more?

Dumplings4ever Mon 21-Apr-14 19:32:14

Snuggling on the settee in your PJs on a cold winter night only to discover the remote control is at the far side of the room.

Saving your favourite chocolate from the box until last only to discover OH has greedily sneaked it.

Settling down to watch a film only to discover you've actually seen it before.

Getting all excited when OH offers to cook Sunday lunch - only to be presented with cheese on toast.

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Mon 21-Apr-14 19:33:39

Oh yes to yhd lukewarm bath! I didn't realise until too late today and it wasn't very nice!

Lovely carvery with overdone and soggy potatoes.

TalkieToaster Mon 21-Apr-14 19:34:34

Thinking you have one more crisp left in the packet, reaching for the last one and discovering you already ate it and there are NO MORE.

soaccidentprone Mon 21-Apr-14 19:34:47

My life's little disappointments has ceased to be as frequent since ds1 left home (ie eating all the cheese, eggs, milk, cereal, bread, muffins, crumpets, chocolate, biscuits, fruit - well needs must, etc).

Ds2 made me a cup of green tea the other morning. He made de-caf hmm how the hell was that supposed to wake me up? (I am so ungratefulwink)

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Mon 21-Apr-14 19:35:13

Convincing yourself to do the 30 day shred and then not being able to find the remote control!

itsjustthursday Mon 21-Apr-14 19:35:34

Eating out or getting takeaway as a treat, only to be rubbish.
Cake almost everywhere. Usually too dry and sometimes they stick odd stuff in it.
Finding somewhere you really like and then they change (local place has just done this to me angry).
Going to someone's house for a meal, arriving hungry, and leaving hungry.
Burnt coffee, especially when you had to pay for it.
Going to get a treat you really want but they're closed or out of stock.
(Wow, these are all about food... need to find others!)
Settling in for a movie night and being thoroughly underwhelmed.
Planning a day out but end up stuck in queues, spending silly money, poor atmosphere, or just generally not fun (especially when it's because others in the party were spectacularly disorganised...).

crispyporkbelly Mon 21-Apr-14 19:38:14

Pork belly with soft crackling smile

Coveredinweetabix Mon 21-Apr-14 19:38:21

DP's alarm clock going off at 6.30 today as he'd forgotten to turn it off.
4yo DD falling out of bed or losing her cuddly or having a nightmare or something similar which requires my assistance in the middle of the night on one of the rare nights when 22mo DS sleeps through.
Ordering sticky toffee pudding and it not having raisins in it.

soaccidentprone Mon 21-Apr-14 19:39:51

Running a bath, the discovering that actually the hot water ran out 5 minutes ago and it is tepid. And you are due at work in 1 1/2 hrs is there isn't time to wait for it to heat up, and as you haven't put the switch back on the shower since the bathroom was redone just before Christmas, you can't even have a showerhmm

(This doesn't happen very often any more. See above re ds1)

tobybox Mon 21-Apr-14 19:42:25

Spending £7 on a cocktail that seems to purely consist of lime juice and ice.

Not getting an answer to a business email when you are trying to get a quote for an item...hmm do they actively not want profit?

The wi-fi losing signal. Again. And again.

Spending £££ on a product, only to find out on MN that it has shitloads of cancer-causing chemicals in it. sad

soaccidentprone Mon 21-Apr-14 19:43:15

Going in a new cafe for tea and cake and finding the cakes are all healthy ie courgette and almond cake, beetroot and chocolate etc. if I wanted vegetables I would have bought soup or a salad.

AwfulMaureen Mon 21-Apr-14 19:49:20

Ordering fish and chips in a pub only to be served with Iceland's basic frozen range. angry

Getting a curry and finding that it's just a bit meh, not quite enough something. Then finding out that everyone else's is delicious angry

Toast that doesn't have quite enough butter, but that's now too cold to melt any more should you top it up.

Yama Mon 21-Apr-14 19:53:15

Wine with an alcoholic volume of 4.25%. Undrinkable.

adv1cen33d3d Mon 21-Apr-14 19:57:23

TheRightToShoes Mon 21-Apr-14 20:01:20

my first ever slower cooker creation yesterday

OublietteBravo Mon 21-Apr-14 20:03:56

Having 4 days away from the office over Easter and then being ill so you can't enjoy the break (but being well enough to go back to work tomorrow).

Being able to eat unsuitable food that was highly desirable when you were a child, but no longer wanting to.

Being able to eat unsuitable food that was highly desirable when you were a child, but no longer wanting to.

Evidently a lot of food

YoshimiB Mon 21-Apr-14 20:10:52

DH popping to shop in the evening and coming back without any treats.

Saying you don't need a fancy present on a special occasion - and then not getting one.

namechangenumber5 Mon 21-Apr-14 20:12:45

Really building up to a lovely glass of cold sauvignon blanc, when you never really drink much, and finding it a bit tart!

AliceinSlumberland Mon 21-Apr-14 20:14:25

Looking forward to something on TV and you've got the nights mixed up.

Ordering something in a restaurant, looking forward to your meal and then they come over to say they don't have it.

Read 'my sisters keeper' and then watching the film.

The ending of Dexter.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Apr-14 20:18:46

slightly stale sandwich bread, doesn't matter how good the filling is..

Cadburys caramel eggs

Spending ages on a new recipe, and its not bad.. it's just a bit meh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now