Please tell me I'm not the only one...

(14 Posts)
CurseOfCurves89 Sat 21-Sep-13 15:17:02

Who goes on a cleaning spree when they get upset.
Ever since I was a little girl, if I got worried or upset I'd start cleaning and tidying. I'm now in my twenties and I still find myself cleaning the oven and stuff at like 4am because I'm wound up about something.

Does anyone else do this? Or why I do it? grin

ICameOnTheJitney Sat 21-Sep-13 18:03:40

I don't sadly...I neglect stuff! I think what you're doing is an attempt to regain control....it makes you feel safer.

MortifiedAdams Sat 21-Sep-13 18:05:41

In a cleaner during strops and sad times too.

Sadly for the house I dont tend to get too upset or stressed so these episodes are few and far between!

Moomoomie Sat 21-Sep-13 18:06:48

I used to do that, not so much nowadays.
I think it is about trying to take control back. I was at my worst when we were going through fertility treatment.
I do still clean madly at odd times of the day and night.

Bowlersarm Sat 21-Sep-13 18:09:46

I iron. If I'm worried it consoles me, and I iron our clothes for hours. I'm not quite sure why.

CurseOfCurves89 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:50:45

Yeh that makes sense, trying regain order. Never even thought of that.
When I was little if my mum was annoyed at me I'd go and tidy my room or polish in the living room for her in the hope of getting out of the doghouse lol

WinkyWinkola Sun 22-Sep-13 22:52:57

Curse, your poor little girl self doing that.

However, I guess nowadays it's more productive than pacing a floor or staring at the ceiling in bed.

KillerOfThreads Sun 22-Sep-13 22:55:16

Sadly not, I just eat sad wish I did though!

oohdaddypig Sun 22-Sep-13 22:59:18

No, I eat chocolate.

Your coping strategy is much more productive! If only I cared enough about cleaning...

Mamagoose01 Wed 13-Nov-13 10:53:30

I was terrible for doing this when I was doing my gcse's all those yrs ago, seems to have reduced now tho lol

Hogwash Thu 21-Nov-13 12:08:34

Gosh, I wish I did!

PrincessKitKat Thu 21-Nov-13 12:18:02

Yep. I clean too.

I actually thought my DH was winding me up on purpose at one stage, so I'd tidy up and hoover hmm

ProfPlumSpeaking Thu 21-Nov-13 12:20:58

It sounds a constructive way to deal with your emotions smile I do that too, and/or go running. Doing something physical helps stop emotional pain I find.

Chopsypie Thu 21-Nov-13 12:23:00

I cook.
I was worried a few weeks ago and made a corned beef pie, shortbread, 2 loaves of bread and some brownies. I was up until 1am.

I also once made a trifle (properly, made my own custard and jelly etc) at 3am because I had an appointment with DS at the hospital about his reflux.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now