Car boot virgin - anyone got any good tips?

(15 Posts)
Balaboosta Sun 02-Jun-13 01:20:12

Watch out, we got stuff nicked. And expect a total mess at the start with everyone grabbing stuff. Anything high value accept any reasonable offer. Sort stuff into plastic boxes before you go and then just put them out when you get there, maybe. It's a hilarious day out but not a huge earner

YoniBottsBumgina Mon 20-May-13 22:36:50

Price stuff up before you go if you're new to it as it can be easy to get flustered by other sellers who barge in while you're setting up. take a pen & extra price labels though so you can change them later if you want.

RandomMess Mon 20-May-13 21:37:08

Also it can be good to get out, lock the car and come back 30 minutes later when new rows are setting up and you don't get jumped on quite as much you can also suss out how much other people are asking for similar things.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 20-May-13 21:33:26

People who rummage at the start are often sellers themselves, so don't be shocked if you see your stuff on their stall later on. Don't sell stuff for less than you wanted early on.
smile

usuallyfoundinthefastlane Mon 20-May-13 21:21:51

Thank you all for the advice. I hadn't thought about carrier bags or putting the table in last. We are only going if the forecast is dry!

I do keep thinking of other items I could take to sell, so will fill the car to the brim.

Not expecting to make a fortune, but hope to have fun on the way.

I shall let you know how I get on!

RandomMess Mon 20-May-13 19:59:42

Take as much stuff as you can, you want it filled to the brim to make the most money possible!

RandomMess Mon 20-May-13 19:58:32

Take suncream as well as a flask of a hot drink.

RandomMess Mon 20-May-13 19:57:12

Put your table in floor coverings in last because you need them out first grin

Umbrella pushchairs sell well!! Look at ebay sold for prices and remember you will get less at the car boot. People like to rummage.

Leather Mon 20-May-13 19:53:55

X post with usual and poppy there!

Leather Mon 20-May-13 19:52:11

Take plenty change and carrier bags. Put your most valuable items in the car first so they get put out last once you're finished unpacking and can keep an eye on them, people do nick stuff so you need to be on your guard!
Put young childrens toys down low (pester power!)
Take a rack if you have one to hang clothes on, makes it easier for people to browse through.
Watch out for fake bank notes, esp twenties.
Don't bother taking books unless they're children's, you won't get more than pennies for them.
Don't bother with vhs tapes either. Jewellery, phones and cameras all do well usually.
Don't expect to make a fortune and enjoy your day, it's usually quite good fun!

usualsuspect Mon 20-May-13 19:48:02

Take a clothes rail or airer to hang clothes on.

PoppyWearer Mon 20-May-13 19:47:34

Be prepared for people to approach you asking if you've got xyz as you unpack and also be prepared for them to start rummaging as you unload. Keep your wits about you and anything valuable deep inside the car, to be unloaded at the very end!

usualsuspect Mon 20-May-13 19:44:58

You need lots of change and carrier bags, toys sell well as do some clothes. Shoes are always a good seller.

You won't make a fortune but if it's as nice day its a good laugh. Be prepared for people to haggle, stick to your prices though or start with a higher price than want especially on bigger items.

namelessposter Mon 20-May-13 19:38:17

Tot up the total value of your stuff. Half it to account for what doesn't sell. Deduct your petrol money and a couple of quid for coffees and bacon sarnies. Divide the remainder by 8 (2 people times 4 hours). If it seems worth it to you, go. If not, take it all to the nearest charity shop and treat yourself to a morning in bed.

Failing that, take £20 in small change, a money belt, a pasting table and table cloth, a rug for the floor, a clear plastic cover to protect stuff if it rains, a thermos, a strong bladder, a good attitude, and lots of carrier bags. Good luck!

usuallyfoundinthefastlane Mon 20-May-13 19:24:39

My friend and I are doing our first car boot sale (as sellers) this weekend. I haven't really been to any to buy or sell and wondered if there were any seasoned car booters out there with some good tips for making a few pounds and not being hoodwinked by pros.

We are just taking our own unwanted stuff e.g. toys, clothes etc.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now