rec ipes

(49 Posts)
apaintedveil Tue 14-May-13 19:56:11

This is a support thread for people in AS/NT relationships: these are our tentative recipes for success. If you are looking for something else, please look elsewhere. thanks

apaintedveil Fri 10-Jan-14 12:34:39

"The only thing l find that helps is having a stable support network that can help you see that you are sane and wonderful, coping or not with your husband. It is unlikely your husband will be able to show anything but anger. Loving someone with AS has been one of the hardest things l have ever done. l was chatting to my mum once about the meanings of the anniversary, early ones are paper, cotton, wood, l asked my mum (who is married to an AS) what we 'get' on our 25th anniversary and she said canonization. Never a truer word spoken."

apaintedveil Fri 10-Jan-14 12:32:35

"Tried to get him to take notice of me once, a l-o-o-o-g time ago now. Dressed up to the nines, new skimpy clothes, hair and makeup. He walked into the kitchen, looked at me, walked straight past me and sat on the bar stool. I put the kettle on while he surveyed the room. "That's odd." He said. "I've just noticed …" he began. Hoo flipping rah! At last! The effort has paid off!

… "the skirting board in the corner by the cooker is definitely deeper than it is by the window". Seriously.

apaintedveil Fri 10-Jan-14 12:31:14

"I once went on an assertiveness course which was Revelatory. They said,

Remain courteous at all times
Repeat, often in the same language the following
" yes, I can see that is how it is/ appears to you. But it is different for me. I want/need x. "
And don't give up."

apaintedveil Fri 10-Jan-14 10:27:57

"There has been no upset or disappointment at Christmas, because my expectations were completely non-existent. That makes it easier in some ways, but scares me that in a few years I will forget how to have emotions. I'm not "allowed" to have disappointment, anger, resentment because that unsettles the "house"

Being annoyed that he has left the freezer open three times in the last couple of months, meaning that all the carefully planned bulk meals I've cooked because i didn't have time and was too knackered to cook when i got home from a job that was making me ill all had to go in the bin

That he regularly boils the kettle without any water in, which blows it up

That he lets the dog destroy £20 cushions, several at a time because he can't do two things at once, i.e. watch Sky Sports News and stop the dog from chewing the cushions (in the same room)

I could go on, but you all know how it is anyway.

I bore myself sometimes. I cannot believe there is a world out there where someone would find me even slightly attractive. Running a lovely home, with two lovely children and trying my absolute fucking best every day isn't enough.

Meanwhile, he reaps the benefit from appearing outwardly acceptable, whilst contributing nothing."

apaintedveil Fri 13-Dec-13 19:35:30

"I know what you are saying about choosing the old fashioned gender roles. It is not what I imagined would be my life when I first got together with DH and I had a great career at first. But,it just didn't work. I would have had a complete physical and mental breakdown. So, for the last 17 years I have done a very part time job and managed everything at home. This sounds like a familiar situation for most families,but we know that having an AS partner is a very particular kind of stress and makes things even harder.

When I first stepped down from my job I felt huge relief. I know exactly what you are saying about cushions and stuff. For my DH the house is invisible. Really invisible. There is no point whatsoever mentioning anything at all to him about the house,garden, or food. So, given that I had to do all that anyway I felt relieved that I had the time to get it done. It seemed efficient and reassuring.

But, the other day we were out with another couple ( obviously rare and awkward) and the man said how much he enjoyed the fact that his partner wasn't working at that time. He enjoyed the fact that they could spend the weekend relaxing rather than getting stuff done. He enjoyed having nice meals, DIY being done.He said he was happy that she was less stressed and that he was grateful she did all this. The thing about being a stay at home partner of an AS is that he will NEVER say that to you. My DH never once came home and said 'oh, you've painted the hall, that looks good!' or, that pruned hedge looks much better/dinner smells nice etc.etc. in fact he actively believes that all of these things are unnecessary and trivial.

So,my reservation about being a stay home partner to an AS is not to do with feminism (well maybe a bit) but that you are doing a job which will never be noticed,acknowledged or appreciated. This lack of appreciation will also be picked up by your children. Right now I feel like an idiot servant."

apaintedveil Fri 13-Dec-13 19:30:45

"Anyway, I am focusing on all the stuff he CAN do and does brilliantly. I'm also giving him more space for his hobbies that make him feel more confident. I'm remembering that he is bringing home the bacon in a stressful job that he doesn't always like but puts up with for our security. I'm remembering that being around people all day is really hard for him so not to expect conversation in the evening, and do my chatting to my ladies in the day. This all sounds a bit 'Surrendered Wife' and I'm kind of horrified in one way, but in another, my husband is a bit like a child, literally, and I would not want to hurt him as he is quite vulnerable, but I can't expect everything from him. "

apaintedveil Fri 13-Dec-13 19:29:11

“I often find, when dh and I have moved poles apart, that if I can find a chink of compassion for him, I nurture it and use that as positive strength to approach him and show him reassurance and support. It is amazing that when I can be feeling so in need of those things myself, that using any residue of compassion and selflessness has amazing results - he relaxes and sees me as his friend not his enemy, his attitude to me softens and lines of proper communication open up again.

It might be that his fear and confusion are disenabling him to reach out for help and support from you, turning into blame and confrontation instead.

Once again, it is us who has to be the strong and mature one.”

“You will have to accept that if you go into this relationship for the long term, you may be able to alter things at the margins, I do believe one can train one's Aspie a bit, but not deep down. The release, negotiation and resolution that comes with speech for NT people and women especially, is the opposite for many men and many people with AS.”

“I had a ball, saw lots of friends who were all delighted to see me, listened to great music, really had a fantastic time. Just fantasised about how great it would have been to share it with someone. I felt like an excited teenager who hasn't got a boyfriend ... enjoying the buzz, but alone.
So, living with an AS partner is inhibiting us from being who we truly are.”
“I wish I could have gone to a 'safe house' this evening. I wonder if we might be able to offer that to each other? I so need some respite now and then. Would be very happy to offer the same.”

“My DP will occasionally ask me how my day has been. But tunes out if my reply lasts longer than 10 seconds. However, I am expected to listen to about 15 minutes monologue of how his day has been, including blow by blow accounts of what people have said. Most of it is extremely boring but he has no filter on what might interest someone else, so I get a download! He is always quick to tell me that I am boring him though......”
“Someone up thread talked about co-dependency - I googled it and while I'm not absolutely clear what behaviours denote co-dependancy or not, I really am wondering about the dynamic between AS and NT and whether our behaviours condone each others.

For instance, my dh "gets away" with being, apparently, a lazy arse by sitting in bed with his laptop and a cup of tea while I make supper having worked a long physically arduous day. Or, this scenario could be seen as me "enabling" his behaviour because I do not make him aware of the imbalance of input nor do I illustrate the imbalance through my actions, ie NOT cooking supper.

Some years ago my homeopath told me that my dc were railing against me with bad and challenging behaviour because they saw how badly their dad was treating me and yet I was doing nothing about it. In other words I was condoning his behaviour.

I suppose it comes down to training our Aspies. I find it hard often to find the right time to bring up an issue with dh. The truth is, his perception is that he does all the work and no one else lifts a finger, or cares, or understands, or appreciates what he does. He would be incredulous if I told him how unfair and self-centered his behaviour was. And he would be angry because he would see my pov as unjustified.”

“As for sharing, well my dh is adamant that "we" (me and him, the dc and him, me and the dc and him) should do stuff together. But as I have said before and as has been discussed here recently, he decides and organises and then announces, no debate. If it is tasks that need doing, he is dreadful to work with; bad tempered, bossy, ungrateful, disrespectful, impatient, aggressive, uncommunicative (apart from barking orders). I simply avoid any shared jobs, therefore very little gets done around the house now, and the dc likewise, give him a very wide berth when tasks are in the offing.

He is a contrary individual; wanting to share but not having the social skills to make that a pleasant and rewarding experience, and wanting simplicity and minimalism in his life and environment and yet actually being a hoarder, messy and disorganised - just two examples.”
“The lack of sharing..never considered this but its so true, there is no way he will work alongside me, gardening, finances or housework.He has to do it solo and if I try to get involved, perhaps helping in a different part of the garden he will react negatively.We didn't have such issues until we purchased a house together.Previously each of us had our own house and becoming 'we' has been a massive issue.

There are positives in the relationship but counselling has helped me to see that I won't be able to get my needs met.The choice is accept it or walk.”
“My husband is going through a hard/exciting time at work and (amazingly) told me about it (a bit) and we discussed it. I could feel that I was jealous that he gets to do something exciting, but I tried to think about whether I could put that aside to be a support to him. And I think I can. Although I need stuff for me too.

For the first time I am starting to understand that I can draw on traditional roles to help me in finding my way with this. I realise this makes me sound like a fundamentalist but I am truly not. If I need to be more like a traditional wife (or executive secretary as Tony Atwood calls it) then there are things that wives traditionally do - and these things are to help them cope with a pretty unrewarding job.

So I'm practicing looking nice, not for my husband but to make myself feel better. I am spending a little more on getting my hair done. I am doing this because it makes me feel a little bit better - not because I think it is 'important'. I'm trying to make the house look nicer because no one else cares about that and I am sick of feeling resentful about being the only one who cares - so I'm just getting on and doing it because that is the job. I'm having lunch with friends midweek because weekends are like work for me with the kids and my husband.”

Tink37 Sat 16-Nov-13 20:57:53

Apaintedevil you have described in detail exactly the way my husband is and behaves on a frequent basis.
I too, hate arguing infront of the children as they are becoming more and more aware of the unrest. I catch my daughter, who is 7, looking at me after we've been arguing as if to say 'are you ok mummy?' and it really upsets me that they are having to witness it all, but at the same time I don't want them to grow up thinking that this is normal and that this is how you let someone speak to you!
It is incredibly challenging, living with someone who I now suspect has AS and finding this thread and all similar on here has been a lifeline for me recently. Just knowing that there are other people out there in very similar situations and that it's not always my fault that this isn't done, that isn't done, and if it is, its not done correctly!
It does feel like I have a third child a lot of the time.

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:20:54

"Of course, I forgot to mention the endless negativity! Apparently, it's only worth commenting on something if it's wrong."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:19:59

"In terms of affection...there is some, but my heart isn't in it anymore. In the beginning, I was openly expressing it all the time, and wondering why it was falling into a vacuum."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:18:43

"My dh polishes his halo any time he puts himself out, for instance cooks a meal, when it's something I do every day, day in day out, but when he does it, we all have to heap praise on him."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:13:26

"My shitty days are pretty much always at the weekends. My dh is away for work during the week which, and I genuinely hate feeling like this, is great. It's a time when my shoulders stop being hunched up in stress (or the anticipation of it), when my breathing becomes more natural and my jaw stops being clenched. I've actually just started noticing the impact of his presence on my physical being. Not good for one's health at all. My world has gradually got smaller and smaller. Depression and loneliness crept up on me. I have often felt lonelier with my dh beside me than I ever felt when I was actually alone. I was so gregarious, outgoing and social. I look at my life now and it's just … well, flat and feels empty."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:06:53

"My trouble is I hate rowing in front of the kids. But I also hate them to see me putting up with his constant put-downs. If they see me allowing it, it will be normal in their eyes, and will do it to their future partners. But if I fight back a bit - snap back at him, the day, weekend, holiday will be ruined by a sulk and even spikier egg shells than usual."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:05:52

"He (we) have got into a habit where he regularly either - pokes fun at, or seriously questions my choices, (in ANYTHING! music, clothes, how I work, how I do dishes, how I park, parent, do homework, ...) sometimes I can take it in good humour but I have put up with it - therefore allowing it to become an ingrained habit - where now the power balance is - 'she's totally flaky' and 'I know what I'm doing'."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:04:51

"I often don't tell him things that I would like to share with someone, as somehow everything ends up being my fault. If I am glad about something he will make me feel bad about it, if I am worried, he will make me feel like an idiot, and if I am upset with him, he gets even more upset so then it's ME who has to 'make it better' for him."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:03:12

"DH is never wrong. He has apologised to me twice, exactly twice in our marriage. And even then I knew that one time he only did it because he could see we were at deadlock, not because he realised he was in the wrong. Whereas I apologise to him several times a day."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 17:00:51

"The period running up to Christmas is challenging for us all I think. There will be lots of extra work,closer proximity to our families and for certain no help or thanks. Perhaps we should all put some effort into being prepared before the inevitable end of tether comes. Lots of sleep, exercise, cut down on alcohol,vitamins and ADs."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 16:59:46

"My dh doesn't do eye contact - a typical AS issue. However, it doesn't affect him in his work relationships because he's never physically close enough to anyone for them to notice that he's looking at their mouths. It only really becomes a problem in an intimate relationship when, over a period of time, that behaviour silently tells you that you're not being listened to or heard, what you have to say isn't important. Yet that is not what is actually happening in the AS partner's mind when he's in a conversation with you."

apaintedveil Thu 14-Nov-13 16:57:56

"One of the things we were told in diagnosis was that in 99% of NT/AS couples, the NT partner is in a 'caring' profession. Subconsciously it seems, the AS partner is drawn to a person who will 'complete' them, i.e. bring into the relationship all the aspects that they are unable to bring into it; social life/skills particularly! "

apaintedveil Fri 18-Oct-13 18:31:06

“H believes that if I have a different opinion from him, I am wrong because either I have not had the facts pointed out to me (which he does painstakingly) or that I have deliberately chosen to ignore them or am too stupid to understand. There is no space here for toleration of different views save through silence. Nor is there for a different approach to resolving it. It is competition VIA dialectic. Negotiation and laissez faire are not possible. Nor that I might already know the facts, have selected a different set or placed another interpretation on them, or have come to a different view via experience, intuition, etc.”

“My dh has that typical AS "black and white with no shades of grey" view of the world, and moved frequently before we met as he always seemed to either piss people off, or get pissed off with them. I refused to do so after we married and moved to our current house. He doesn’t get on with our neighbours on either side though, and also thinks everyone is gossiping about him, and thinks I am "disloyal" for trying to have a reasonable relationship with the people we live next door to! He also used to change jobs frequently as he would have personality clashes with his work colleagues, and he felt they were deliberately causing him problems, whereas in reality, these were normal work disagreements, which someone without AS would shrug off and get on with things. Things are a lot better now as he has had an official diagnosis made, and his current job both totally suits his personality and AS traits, and his workmates make allowances for some of his more peculiar habits.”

“I haven't been able to shake the thought that he really doesn't like me very much. This kind of exchange happens very rarely and usually if I get an unexpected sharp reply a bit of time and distance is enough to get over any feelings of upset. Just occasionally it happens when I am feeling really tired and vulnerable.

I know AS plays a large part and it is worse for him than me. The problem is that I don't feel strong enough to cope with it just now.
I realise I need to find a way to say the verbal abuse is not on. I'm sure he blames me for upsetting him & I don't know if he will be willing to take responsibility for the way he expresses (sudden) rage. I'm sure he keeps a lid on it a lot & would find it very tough to change but I can't see an alternative.

There has to be a way to disagree or get annoyed without lashing out so strongly.”

“Have told DH he cannot rely on me to nurse maid him in his old age. He went white. This hit home. For the first time.

Have also told him that if he does want me around, he has to take action. I have been unhappy too long and fail to see why I should be so for the rest of my life. If he does, I too will take action and we will see if we can work something out.”

“One thing I`ve grasped from those of you with older kids to us, is that THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE. I think part of me thought it could be fixed and we`d one day be just a regular family. Its sounds daft, but it’s like a little death. I`m not one for planning big futures, but there must have been a part of me that hoped our future would bring with more fun & spontinaity, anxiety free days/nights out, romance. Hey, I`m not in the least bit materialistic, but a birthday/christmas present would be nice .

I now know (after a major meltdown recently) that I will have to be the planner of everything for ever and ever and ever...”

“But, it's NOT fair. I have learned what DH needs. I've spent hours poring over the net, scrabbling around for information and tips and pointers about how to make it work. I have adapted my behaviour and modified my expectations.

What is he doing to understand how I am wired? How to modify his behavoiur to accommodate MY needs? How to make ME happy? Feck all, frankly.

He's smart. He CAN learn to do simple things for me – but he CHOOSES not to because these things are of no value to him.”

“Something struck me so hard though, that I have to talk about it. It was a paragraph about "family days out" where someone said that her DH plans things that interest him and expects everyone else to fall into line with him, regardless of what they actually feel or want.

That para made me cry (stoopidly). Such an accurate description of what I have now normalised after all these years, which is that I have no real say over what we do together. If he has a plan, it happens. If I have a different plan, it doesn't. There are odd exceptions for things that I stand my ground over, but the mental energy required to drive the thing through and withstand the almost-sulkiness is immense. It's not just days out either, it's holidays, houses, repairs, purchases, etc.

It. Has. Always. Been. Like. That. With. Us. Always.

It is particularly acute on holiday. I cannot stand being on holiday with him. I feel so trapped and voiceless. We were with another couple. The contrast between their modus operandi and ours was very marked. They operate as a team. They ask each other things, and reminisce together. They give and take. They take each other's opinions seriously.

Of course, DH thinks all is fine with him and that it is me who is depressed, anxious, drinks too much etc etc. I am the one with issues, according to him. And it it is easy to believe him.”

“I've just had the most amazing convo on ParentLine, so supportive and useful. I've used them before and they have been without exception, patient, insightful and supportive. I had an AS/NT dilemma which normally I'd have phoned my mum or sister about but they are both unavailable at the mo. So while I thought the issue was a bit minor for a ParentLine call, 56 minutes later and a huge amount of washing of the proverbial laundry, I feel cleansed, relieved and unburdened, with a positive direction to take.”

apaintedveil Fri 23-Aug-13 16:15:45

"I have forwarded the article about AS/NT relationships to DH without comment. I introduced the idea to him about a year ago. Made brave by my shared experiences on here. He has continued to assert that this is an outrageous belief. I have held onto what my mother took from Benjamin Spock's child care book, to do everything with 'an air of cheerful certainty'.
Bolstered by what I have read on here I know that I am not crazy. Not perfect, of course, but not afraid to name the problem."

apaintedveil Fri 23-Aug-13 16:14:16

"I thought of you guys and knew that out there in web-land there are people who understand just how effing difficult it is to do any tiny wee domestic thing together, and how tempting it would be to run away."

apaintedveil Fri 23-Aug-13 16:08:08

"I agree too about the ideas that you can't say 'He made me this way'. I believe that, even though I do tick a lot of the boxes of the Cassandra syndrome, DH isn't the one who 'made me' have it. It's much more down to myself.

I prefer to think I have full responsibility in how I feel/am because then it also give me the power to change things because otherwise I am left with leaving that to DH and me having no power in my life iyswim.

What I do like about this syndrome is that it recognizes that living in an AS/NT marriage can be very stressful and can lead to some specific coping mechanisms that might not be suitable and lead to burn out. It's also a validation of what happens as well as the feeling you are part of a 'group', not just on here but in the world around us.

The issue of course is to not identify yourself as a Cassandra because then you can't get out of the patterns in the marriage and you can't improve/change your relationship."

apaintedveil Fri 23-Aug-13 15:44:10

"I WISH I didn't present myself to be hugged.. or proffer a kiss.. why do I do that? I know he doesn't want this from me! But sometimes I just NEED it.. so in the spirit of trying to lay it on the line to him, what I want and need.. sometimes I ask.. and his currently latest "no I'm too hot.."... every single bloody time... I know it's summer but obviously he is not always hot.. he just doesn't want to touch me..

And I hate that I NEED it.. (why is such a tactile person as me with an Aspie!!) and I hate that I feel hurt each and every time he rejects me. Especially when I know and understand that he mostly can't help it and DOES actually love me, presumably.. (AAOL - Aspie Acts Of Love - are still present if I look for them.) And I have Dr Marshack's voice in my head (from "Over the Edge" that some of us have read lately) telling me that if I can't stop myself feeling hurt.. can't protect myself from it.. then I have no business being in this relationship!"

apaintedveil Fri 23-Aug-13 15:35:07

"My Dh never argues but clearly feels very frustrated when my pov is different from his and I am 'getting away with it' again.

On my pov, I would love him to say what he thinks! I would much prefer to know about it so we can find a compromise, something that would work both for me and for him. Downside: I will argue my point and I know he finds that extremely difficult. What I see as a 'discussion' where we explain our pov and the reasons why, he sees it as a 'confrontation' that he can't cope with!

I can see how what your dog sitter said would apply to DH. Things that aren't of any interest to him means that he has no opinion on them. Which is perfectly fine. After all, why should we all have an opinion on things we aren't interested in/don't know about? The issue I have is when this extends to parenting/issues with the dcs/how to budget our money because I do need his pov so that we can all pull in the same direction. And truth to be told, these are also things that WILL have a big influence on him so it's only fair he is involved iyswim?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now