Guess who
Pump up pig
Buckeroo
Screwball scramble
Connect 4
Perfection
Various packs of cards

Which we all play together

And the following which Dp and I play (when we have time)
monopoly
Chess
Game of life
Cludo
Go for broke
Trivial pursuit
Boogle

Can anyone recommend so more family games they need to be suitable for 3 players and preferable for 5 or over

We play a board game most nights junior party monopoly is the favourite at the moment

Pancakeflipper Mon 06-May-13 19:09:30

Mexican Train.

ChippyMinton Mon 06-May-13 19:10:27

We are currently going through a craze on Monopoly Deal courtesy of a reccy on here. It's a card version of the boardgame and is fast and cut-throat grin

ChippyMinton Mon 06-May-13 19:11:11

Ooh yes, Mexican Train is excellent.

PaperLantern Mon 06-May-13 19:13:24

Monopoly is an awful game compared to any of the games above, not much fun for whoever's losing

Trumpton Mon 06-May-13 19:40:30

Oh ! Oh! Labyrinth !. It's fab . Also comes in standard edition that is from age 8 and certainly usable for younger.

Also second vote for Dobble card game .

Gossipmonster Mon 06-May-13 19:40:43

Love Taboo and Rapidough

ChippyMinton Mon 06-May-13 20:01:55

PaperLantern - I'm talking about Monopoly Deal - try it!

KatAndKit Mon 06-May-13 20:06:13

Monopoly deal is a brilliant card game - it is so good when you just have 15 minutes or so to play a quick game. The Boggle card game is fun too

Pantah630 Mon 06-May-13 20:07:51

Rummikub is great fun, we all love it. The whole family on my side play a card game that's very similar without the manipulation.

Takver Mon 06-May-13 20:18:02

YY to Settlers, Carcassone, Bohnanza and Ticket to Ride.

There are three of us, so all our games are fine with 3, but we also like ones that play well with just 2 if one person isn't in the mood.

I'd add

Stone Age (similar 'feel' to Settlers, but a quicker easier play, dd was fine with it from about 7ish). Plays fine with 2, but can be up to 5

Dominion (fab, probably more 8-9 up though) Also fine with 2 players, can't remember max. Lots of replay value as the game varies a lot depending on setup

Pandemic - this is new to us, only played it once so far, but came very well reviewed & seems good. Its very different from any of our other games in that it is a co-operative game where you are working together to beat the game. It isn't as hippy as that sounds!

San Juan - card game based on Puerto Rico (also very popular, but I haven't played it), another good one for 2 players, and a nice quick easy play if you're feeling tired.

Have you found the boardgamegeek website?

WidowWadman Mon 06-May-13 20:23:46

Carcassonne in all its permutations. The children's version actually isn't bad either.

Munchkin

RalphGnu Mon 06-May-13 20:27:15

Sorry to crash the thread but is anyone here a Talisman fan? I'm a bit obsessed; have bought the Reaper expansion and wanting to buy another but can't decide which one. Can anyone advise?

(Nobody in rl has heard of it and look at me like this confused when I mention it.)

bulletproofgerbil Mon 06-May-13 20:28:06

Rummikub.
Not a board game but the card game Canasta. Very addictive and a good mix of strategy and luck.

RiseAndWhine Mon 06-May-13 20:31:00

Lagretto - cannot believe it has not been mentioned yet. Amazing, addictive, quick and easy.

Rummikub also ace.

chickensaladagain Mon 06-May-13 20:35:52

We like the pointless board game grin

Karoleann Mon 06-May-13 20:40:26

Ralph - I was just about to come on and recommend talisman. I still have my original (2nd edition) so about 25 year old and have bought 4th edition for ds1 7. He loves it! We played yesterday and he was desperate to play again today.
W also have the dungeon expansion which is very good. Ds2 can't manage to play by himself, but he plays with me (and it does say age 14+) on the box.
I did also buy reaper, but I'm not sure ds will like it - we may leave til he's a bit older.

Uno is big hit with my boys and would also second rat race if you can get a copy.

inia Mon 06-May-13 21:07:36

there's a junior settlers of catan which my 6 year old loves and 4 year old is just getting the hang off

onoroff Mon 06-May-13 21:10:23

bananagrams is fab but bit hard for 5 year olds, more for 8 and up i would say.

Dominion! Can be adapted easily as the kids get older. one of my favourite games alongside settlers of catan smile

onoroff Mon 06-May-13 21:26:28

Sorry to thread steal but i have always fancied Risk - what age is this suitable from please?

Schooldidi Mon 06-May-13 21:39:15

We love Risk. Dd1 has been playing since she was about 8ish I think.

Ingenious is brilliant. It says from age 8+ but it depends how well your dcs spot patterns and how logical their brains are, dd1 was playing and enjoying it from about 5+ with a little help, but I've played it at school with 15yos who need support to spot the patterns.

Pandemic is a brilliant game but in my opinion it is too complicated for five year olds. A ten year old with a good concentration span and strategic thinking skills could probably cope.

FoundAChopinLizt Mon 06-May-13 21:57:49

Carcassone but need to be 7ish to play. Can get round that by playing in teams, pairing the youngest with older players.

Monopoly city

Game of Life especially the 'pod' version-no longer in production but around in charity shops/car boots.

we have a game called Go Green which is great. The aim is to buy pigs, chickens and crops and become sustainable.
You get asked questions about the environment (multiple choice), if you get it right you can choose what crop to buy. if you get enough you can rent an allotment.
It cost £20, our DS was 8 when we bought it

Bimbledorf Mon 06-May-13 22:06:33

Balderdash. It's my favourite game ever and changes with whoever you play with. My 8 year old son and 11 year old niece love playing it and are surprisingly good at it. It's always very funny. Absolutely agree with monopoly deal too, so much better than the board game - it moves fast and is really easy to pick up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now