How do I rid house of spiders?

(11 Posts)
u32ng Tue 23-Apr-13 03:09:17

So in 1 week I've had 3 night feeds spoiled by an unwelcome visitor - spider!! I swear the 2nd one was big enough to hug a babybel! shock

I am terrified of them. Particularly when they're on the run. The 2nd one gave me almost a panic attack & I had to scream for DH to deal with. Not ideal when you're holding a sleeping baby & DH is only an hr away from his alarm for work.

After using a box of nappies just now to nuke one, I am fed up (and nerves are frazzled!).

Anyone have any tried & tested ways of stopping them appearing without going down the pest control route (as I don't think the problem is that bad.

Fasterkillpussycat Tue 23-Apr-13 03:14:01

You can buy a plug in spider repeller thing from Amazon - not sure if it works but might be worth a go.

FadBook Tue 23-Apr-13 03:17:45

<hugs> (unMN I know)

I fucking hate spiders and I rarely use the hate word.

Conkers are apparently a natural deterrent. There are some good sprays in the Betterware that you use on your door and window frames too.

Poor you, that would be my worst nightmare if one was near me whilst holding dd

Caladria Tue 23-Apr-13 03:22:27

Get a cat?

I second the betterware Spider Stop.

I must do this house tomorrow. But its been very effective everywhere I have used it. Spray around windows and doors.

MamaMumra Tue 23-Apr-13 04:06:21

I was going to suggest a cat too - you'll never see a spider in the house again grin

WaitingForMe Tue 23-Apr-13 04:10:26

I grew up in nook filled farmhouse and used conkers as a child. My room always had fewer spiders than anywhere else so a spray with whatever spiders hate about conkers sounds a good idea.

We never have spiders now though as we have the guaranteed protection from two cats grin

u32ng Tue 23-Apr-13 12:51:09

Well having a cat sounds like the way to go, except I don't really like them (sorry!) & wouldn't have one with baby anyway.

Think I'll look into this conker spray stuff!

idlevice Tue 23-Apr-13 13:04:12

Block up any gaps they could be coming in thru around pipes etc Make sure you don't have bushes/plants around windows/doors & brush away cobwebs from external windows & doors that you open where they could get it in. I believe there is a repellent spray available on Amazon too, more "chemically" than the other one already mentioned here, which has clove in it as well I think. Or you could try normal crawling insect spray around skirting boards & door thresholds. This time of year & then again later in the year will be particularly bad. I hate the feckers too but 5yrs in Australia has slightly inured me!

Tattle Wed 03-Jul-13 18:14:52

Chestnut oil/conkers all about the house,spiders hate the smell of them.

Loopylala7 Fri 05-Jul-13 17:17:44

I have to say I love your description 'could hug a baby bell' amazing. Poor you, I hate spiders too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now