How do I get out of my Talk Talk contract?

(8 Posts)
fionathepink Fri 19-Apr-13 19:58:16

Our Talk Talk service is appalling. We are 3 months into a new contract after moving house and we have been without internet more often than with it; at one point for an entire month. Currently, our internet keeps cutting out.

I work from home so I need the internet to work at all times so I can do my job. Basically, to give us the service we pay for.

Talk Talk customer service are useless. They have us do umpteen tests each time then try charge £50 to come have a look at equipment and phone line. The last time they told us to buy new hardware, which we did, then said it was the router at fault but were not willing to replace it until we had the engineer come out the check the line, which would cost £50. Then when they said there was a 6 week plus wait and we tried to cancel, the internet miraculously fixed itself, no issue with the router.

Can we get released from our contract having had all these problems and an ongoing interruption of a pretty crappy internet service anyway? Is that a break in the contract?

Casmama Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:55

I would write to them and ask them to release you from the contract, say that you are so fed up that you are considering writing to ofcom and see what they say.

Casmama Fri 19-Apr-13 20:02:52

Should have said I'm certainly no expert and someone else may give better advice.
this may help.

fionathepink Fri 19-Apr-13 21:18:00

We tried to cancel the contract before during the month of no internet but were told we would have to pay various fees that worked out so expensive. And I resented paying them more money for nothing. Just wondering if anyone else got out of a broadband contract.

Seriously, never ever use talk talk.

Ledkr Fri 19-Apr-13 21:29:05

This exact thing happened to us and we got nowhere with it. I've been told its their shit routers.
I got out ASAP but I'd recommend speaking to trading standards.
One day I asked for the complaints dept and was put through but it rang until It cut out. I rang back and guy told me there was no such dept and said I was lying as I hadn't phoned then that day at all.
I thought my head would blow off with rage.

fionathepink Sun 21-Apr-13 00:17:16

Honestly, it's not asking too much to want the service that you pay for. I will try trading standards and see where that gets me. We've had various broadband companies over the years but nothing rates as bad as Talk Talk for total lack of any actual internet.

PallyAli Tue 28-May-13 20:32:18

I was moving out of home to live with my partner. I was paying £39 monthly for phone & fibre optic broadband (ripped off at a vulnerable moment)! I was in an 18 month contract which was only due to run out may 2014. He had a really good deal with sky which he wanted to keep but talk talk wanted to charge me £300 to get out of the contract when I moved. I felt like i was bring bribed even though it was in the contract. I agreed to pay it but on a monthly basis as I couldn't afford the full outlay but they then offered me a £16 monthly contract for 12 months!! It's worked out better for me and I feel as though I have managed to beat them slightly by complaining and saying I would leave them & meaning it! Hope this helps!

rainbowslollipops Sat 01-Jun-13 22:20:51

I moved to sky from them & had to pay £60 disconnection fee plus £10 a month till the end of what would have been the contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now