Ever feel like you don't fit in?

(9 Posts)
Ridersofthestorm Fri 05-Apr-13 22:33:29

Aww thanks Taffeta, that was a v inspiring message! 8 different schools, my days I don't think I could cope. You must have felt like the odd one out every time you went somewhere new? I'm glad you finally feel like you do fit in that's lovely.

I always admire people who are individual too and don't just go along with everyone else but there is always the feeling of wanting to belong. I am however quite shy and people are always shocked when I tell them because I am very chatty (usually because of nerves). I hate being the centre of attention and looked at when I talk so its worse when you are a bit different.
I need to not care what people think of me, (sings very loudly but then gets embarrassed) I am who I am!!!!

Taffeta Fri 05-Apr-13 21:59:57

I have never feel like I've fitted in anywhere, until the last few years. Although I still don't really "fit in" but I think with age, I just give less of a shit and am more attracted to people that break the mould a bit, too.

I went to 8 different schools growing up, boarding school where I wasn't posh enough, comprehensive where I was too la di da , school in America where I was put with kids 3 years older so was the oddity on many levels. It made me feel like I don't fit in anywhere, but it also made me feel that I am not intimidated by anyone because of who they are, where they come from etc. When you are a square peg, you are an individual and there's a lot to be said for that. Believe in yourself, op. smile

Ridersofthestorm Fri 05-Apr-13 21:50:59

Omg replies grin
Yeah you definitely try and be something you're not, and then that just makes you unhappy. I try too hard to fit in then can't be arsed and be myself a bit more and still feel awkward.
I'm not in the legal profession, I'm in the heritage sector smile love my job tho which is good. However I constantly think I don't fit in, I hate speaking in meetings.

NumTumDeDum Fri 05-Apr-13 21:36:47

You sound like me. You wouldn't be in the legal profession would you by any chance?

AuntieBrenda Fri 05-Apr-13 21:32:17

I feel the same sometimes. I feel like I do things to fit in with others and don't do what makes me happy IYSWIM

Ridersofthestorm Fri 05-Apr-13 19:17:07

Thanks smile I wasn't too sure either I don't know how to repost to somewhere else.

Hello! I'm not sure "other subjects" has much traffic. Not sure where to recommend though.

Ridersofthestorm Fri 05-Apr-13 19:07:10

Hello!

Ridersofthestorm Fri 05-Apr-13 15:56:42

Do any of you feel like you don't fit in anywhere? I do. Maybe it's all in my head.
I come from a normal northern working class background I am not particularly clever went to a local comprehensive. I was never pushed in my life to be academic or anything like that. Although as a child I always loved learning new things particularly history. My parents just wanted me to be happy but had no other particular aspirations.
I took my a levels and wanted to go to university but had teachers who told me I wasn't good enough to get into a university that did the degree I wanted. I took a couple of years out after my a levels working in a shop which made me realise I wanted something more.
I got my degree in 2004 which I was very proud of as i was the first in my family. I have moved from my hometown (not for work but for a relationship and i miss my hometown so much) and I now work in what I would call a very middle class profession.
All the people I encounter are well spoken articulate and very clever. I just feel so inadequate next to them because I have a very distinctive accent (which I love and am very proud of btw and would never change). I just feel like I can never fit in amongst them, my humour is often different and some see my manner as quite harsh (I am not I can't help it I talk passionately about things and tend to say what I think a bit too much).
It's totally knocked my confidence as some people can't understand what I am saying and I hate how I sound next to them. I know I shouldn't feel like this but I can't help it.
I long to go home were people don't look at you because you talk different. But now I find I don't fit in back home sometimes too.
Most of my family can't talk about things I have an interest in such as history etc so I just play dumb.
I feel so alone and have no friends here. I shouldn't be feeling so sorry for myself I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone else feels like they don't fit in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now