Little Italy 26

(764 Posts)
Rosa Wed 13-Mar-13 12:11:17

Siamo qui ... Ciao a tutti !

We saw Gravity. I have realized that in 1 yr I've been to the movies 6 times, and 2 movies were children ones. I used to go at least once a week shock. The good thing is that now I tend to like pretty much everything we see, given that it is such a rare occasion grin

Oh, how lovely a Bonfire Night! I still remember our last bonfire night in the UK with fondness. Did master Gio enjoyed it?

Still mild here too, and such a glorious day today.
Where's Rosa, I wonder? I hope she is not lost in IKEA land! I haven't been in ages, and now it's time to go, with all the christmassy things!

Btw, I have just discovered that Paperchase now delivers to Italy. I adore Paperchase, I need to control my instinct to buy the whole shop now.

spaghettina Tue 05-Nov-13 13:27:25

I miss Bonfire night! You've given me an idea though Giò - with all the British people who supposedly live/own holiday houses down here there might be an opportunity to organise an expat Bonfire night celebration in the future. If one was the organising type... hmm

We had a lovely walk in the woods on the 1st November, with our merry band of cousins... I am so happy that we live so near such a beautiful Parco Naturale. Then we had a walk on the beach on Sunday - too late in the day to go swimming though. Am gradually getting to appreciate all the good points about living here and trying not to think too much about the things I miss about Milan.

Franca, I am exactly the same about the cinema. Ridiculously grateful to see anything, even if it's rubbish. The last film I saw though really was rubbish - Una piccola impresa meridionale, it just seemed crammed full of cheesy southern Italian clichés - should have known!

What's Gravity like? The trailer scared the life out of me!

Rosa Tue 05-Nov-13 13:56:38

Am here .... Wished I had spent more in Ikea as we got a few things then thought how will we get them from the car ... Then dh got the boat left near the car park so we could have got Billy after all !
Cinema welllll we saw Justin il Caviliere .... beat that guys ! So far this year it has been i puffi , and another but I can't remember what it was !
Then Friday we went to the beach area and had a lovely meal . The traffic coming out was hellish but we did the back roads. Then sat Dh and dd1 went to the Terme at Abano. They went with SIL and DH said it was ok but not the best centro. Minirosa and I stayed at home. SUnday lazy day and it rained.
Well my baby is 5 today and I feel sooo old . her best friend was coming for merenda but has a febbre so we will try and spoil her. Her party is on sat and I just hope she doesn't get what her friend has as they are like glue ! I can't ask the other one as she is a JW.
Although coming to the end of the season here there is a huge sciopero planned for 13/11 going oltranza . ( Venice taxis and transport boats ) Meaning I am up the creak with a few bits of work and we will have to go to the mainland to get food if it gets that bad. Some places have their own boats like fruit and veg but not all . I agree with the reasons for striking but hell they could have waited 2 weeks !!!

Annunziata Tue 05-Nov-13 21:17:26

Happy birthday to Rosa's dd, 5 is just wonderful flowers

Could I ask you all a big favour? Could you recommend me baby books in Italian? My brother is going to bring me them over if I can tell him which ones. I would really appreciate it.

Bananagio Wed 06-Nov-13 07:58:11

5 Rosa! It seems like yesterday that minirosa made her first appearance. Happy Birthday MR and auguri to you! I love the idea of going to Ikea by boat! I want a weekend in Venice.
Spag yes get organising. We combine Halloween and Bonfire Night and so the kids dress up and we eat burnt sausages while watching fireworks. It's the one night though I don't want Rome's climate. Bonfire Night should have a wind that cuts your face and baked potatoes in foil to keep your hands warm.
Oooh Paperchase Franca, am off to have a browse.

Hello!

Spaghettina, imagine how beautiful Bonfire Night would be in a field of ulivi!
I enjoyed watching Gravity (and there is a great George Clooney, just being great at being GC at his best iyswim grin). I think it is a good movie on redemption, yes. And obviously perfectly filmed (but nowadays, which movie isn't perfectly filmed, really?)

Annunziata, this is my favourite italian publishing company for babies/toddlers: have a browse! I particularly like these ones, they aren't exactly "baby" books but so lovely!

Can't believe that Minirosa is already 5 shock! Come on, can it be possible? I remember meeting Rosa, with her lovely minirosa's bump! Happy birthday!!!!

I hope the weather holds btw, it's stunning here, and it looks like me and dh will pay Venice a visit over the weekend as we have decided to join friends on a mad tour of the Biennale!!!

Not sure redemption is the right word to describe Gravity. Not even re birth. Maybe just survival instinct? dunno.

Gio, I had to stop myself buying pretty much everything.

alexpolistigers Wed 06-Nov-13 18:35:54

Hello everyone!

How have you all been? Italy was in the news recently - strikes I think it was.

I have been busy with ds2's school - we are trying to raise money to get special educational toys and things for the special needs unit. We have made calendars and small Christmas decorations to sell, and we are holding a bakesale. This isn't something you see much in Greece (yes, it was my suggestion!) but everyone seems quite keen on it.

Franca I love cheesecake and I have to make one now! I didn't think it was something that had really taken off in Italy - I don't recall ever seeing one there. Perhaps people just waited till I'd gone before eating them!

I think the last time I went to the cinema was before I had children! How much does an average ticket cost these days in Italy?

Happy birthday to Minirosa!

Rosa Thu 07-Nov-13 00:13:06

Wellllll Sabato pm if you want to meet Peppa Pig then come to minirosas birthday party !!!!
Where are you staying??? let me know if you need help in finding somewhere and I hope we can squeeze a coffee in. i will not tell you my thoughts in the Bienale hmm

I know that you hate the Biennale grin!!! I think Sabato I'll be locked up there ... I'll text you and I hope we can meet for coffee, with Peppa Pig smile!

We are staying somewhere remote, on an island, but can't remember where, as friend has booked!

Alex, cheesecake very popular now, at least here in Milan. Offered in many restaurants too, bear in mind that we've had a chain called California bakery for more than 12 yrs now.

Cinema tickets are around 8 euros nowadays, maybe more if movie is in 3d? Pretty sure there are some days when it's cheaper. (it used to be wednesdays)

LakeDistrictBabe Fri 08-Nov-13 20:06:44

Well got here in time to wish MiniRosa a Happy Birthday!! cake

Lots of news, just no time to write at all!

Got tired of bonfires and fireworks, especially the latter! Neighbours filled our back garden with debris and I had to pick everything up in the morning!! And some people still keeps on firing them... GRRRRRRRRR

So how's Gravity? Just saw Thor 2 the last week, I really enjoyed it!! (well with all that eye candy it was difficult not to, yet DH liked it too!)

Annunziata Fri 08-Nov-13 21:19:41

DS1 is off to see Thor tonight with the girlfriend, he was so looking forward to it.

Thank you so much Franca, Santa is going to bring some of the animal ones grin

Hope Peppa Pig went down well!

Saw the new John Lewis advert today and I am stupidly excited about Christmas. I want to make it so special.

Hi ragazze,

Rosa sorry I didn't manage to meet you for coffee,
we spent yesterday at arsenale and today at Giardini and then we dashed to the station as our train was leaving at 15.20. We really enjoyed the biennale and the British pavilion was really good!
Hope the party went well and wow what an amazing warm day yesterday!

Lake Gravity was good, I enjoyed it, not a masterpiece.

Annunziata smile

Rosa Mon 11-Nov-13 13:55:25

Glad you enjoyed it France . Party was fantastic and everything went really well. Minirosa was very happy and so were most of the children !
It is San Martino today so I should be making the biscuits so they can decorate them as they are a rip off in the shops but I really want to curl up on the sofa with a cuppa ... SO thats not going to happen!

Books mine loved the books from Giunti that were touchy feely one had a zebra on the front and another can't remember but they had animals in them. Also when a bit older the Orsetti books you sort of read the story with the child who can interact with the story telling . DD1 loved them. I wish I had known earlier as I gave a bag of books to the asilio the other week you could have had them !
Right Pasta Frolla here I come ....

I bet MInirosa had a fantastic time with peppa and the sunshine!

Have you made the biscuits? I am making my usual arrosto today.

Yes, I agree Giunti is another great publishing company for children's books!

Bananagio Tue 12-Nov-13 07:12:03

Quite fancy Gravity for the GC element. Went with dp to see Anni Felice the other week for the Kim Rossi Stuart element (shallow emoticon).
Glad the party went well Rosa, the cake looked amazing.

Oh yes, I'd like to see Anni felici for the same reason too, Gio grin

There's only 10 minutes of GC in Gravity, but it's a GC at his most GC.

Rosa Fri 15-Nov-13 09:22:39

Lovely day , wind rain aqua alta , no public transport , the taxis and transport boats are still on strike , teachers doing reduced hours..I am going back to bed !!! Hope things are better where you are !!!

Same here (no acqua alta though). Public transport in a mess because there's been a cgil manifestazione, teachers in a strike for the first school hr (but luckily both dc's teachers didn't) and heavy rain.

And dh and ds are going to see Italy vs Germany. They'll have to wrap up warm as it's offcially winter!

Annunziata Fri 15-Nov-13 14:18:40

Oh grazie mile for the Giunti link, their stuff is beautiful (and on sale grin)! That's all my nieces and nephews' presents bought now, and stuff for DD2 too!

Freezing and very damp here today.

Rosa Sat 16-Nov-13 07:31:45

The giunti stuff does last!!!!
Well strike is off ( for now) and it looks as if the rain has stopped . Dd1 came home with a note in her libretto di scuola asking me to sign for entrata in ritardo .... The avviso said that the school was on strike for the 1st hour .So am I right in thinking I should have taken her at 8.15 to see if the teacher was there , if not taken her home and brought her back an hour later????. The teachers diddn't say whether they were on strike or not .....I am being a bit English on this and have stuck the avviso overthe bit they have asked me to sign!!!!! Its a bit on principal really.
Plus it was raining horizontally and minirosa was going in at 9.

Rosa, yes, I think you were right! No need for a giustificazione if the teacher was on strike.

Rosa Wed 20-Nov-13 18:41:17

We have booked the flat for next summer !!! A chance came up to book via a privato so we booked it !!! All season !!! Will still be going to the Uk probably in July - but I will be more flexible on dates and hopefully prices as well !!so now we hope for bel tempo in June !!!
I am so behind on thinking for Christmas dh reminded me that in a months time we will be in the UK !!

That's what I call being organised! Bravi!

I, on the other hand, would like to take the family to the mountains after Christmas, but would love to go somewhere new, a small village but with good slopes, lovely hotel, with a spa... yeah right, in my DREAMS.

Rosa Wed 27-Nov-13 08:03:25

franca head over to the Dolomites as I reckon you would find somewhere there ..over the other side the places are bigger not really a village atmosphere..
Much colder here now infact its inverno . Last week aqua alta and damp this week cold and crisp much better!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now