I need a hand to hold please - part 2

(407 Posts)
WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Mon 31-Dec-12 20:04:01

My second thread. The first is awaiting deletion due to details that were in the thread.

Basically, my brother is in intensive care with multiple stab wounds, he is stable, but critical. So he could go either way.

At the moment it doesn't feel real to me, I feel like I'm in a soap or something! It's very surreal sad

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 17-Jan-13 19:55:45

No I'm not, I haven't been since he first got there sad DP is a gritter driver and has been on call constantly since last week so we haven't been able to get there sad

My mum went and stayed for a few days this week though, she got back yesterday. I really want to go soon though, but it takes a lot of planning.

ripsishere Thu 17-Jan-13 21:51:54

Don't fret over not staying there love. Since he is improving so much, you aren't really on call anymore if that makes sense.
Go David.

canutesauntie Thu 17-Jan-13 23:45:35

I'm so glad your brother is improving. Dont worry about not being there at the moment. He's in for a long haul and will really need you once they start to let him come round from the sedation. Rest up ready for all the hospital visiting!

Sunnywithshowers Fri 18-Jan-13 00:45:25

Cunny I echo what everyone else has said about not worrying that you can't be there with him at the moment.

Big hugs to you and yours tonight, and wishes for David's continuing improvement.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Mon 21-Jan-13 08:56:12

Sorry I haven't updated for a couple of days, been very busy. This is Fridays update-
Last night he was quite awake and opened his eyes wide and seemed anxious...they talked to him for a while and put him back to sleep. His wakefulness was compromising his oxygen levels so they are keeping him asleep for now. They said its perfectly normal and he's stable.

And yesterdays update-
Things pretty much the same. His wounds have healed but stuff still in lungs, old blood n gunk etc. Heavily sedated again as when he's semi conscious it interferes with the oxygen etc. Sounds like he'll be on Ecmo a while longer yet. All normal just a question of time.

Thank you so much for your support so far everyone, I really appreciate it smile

mistlethrush Mon 21-Jan-13 09:06:51

Glad its still going well Cunny!

Sunnywithshowers Mon 21-Jan-13 09:23:41

I'm glad it's good news Cunny. smile

BitBewildered Mon 21-Jan-13 18:48:21

Thanks for the update! Thanks to your DH and his gritting colleagues too - they've been gritting like mad here all day.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Tue 22-Jan-13 09:06:49

If I can chat MIL up to have DD all day on thursday I can go to Manchester with my mum and sister smile fingers crossed she says yes!

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Wed 23-Jan-13 23:00:45

Update on David, the docs think he might have a clot on his lung sad
Ultra sound showed something in his right lung...could be fluid or a clot. They're going to put a chest drain in tomorrow and if it drains its fluid. If its a clot they will remove it in theatre.
His sedation is quite light again and he seems more settled than previously when it was light...he's not getting agitated now.

Going to visit tomorrow smile

Hi cunny, still waving when I pass hospital and thinking of him. Glad you re able to see him tomorrow.
It Is sounding positive

Cailleach Wed 23-Jan-13 23:43:18

Thanks for updating us...I was wondering how he was doing. He's a tough lad!

Sunnywithshowers Wed 23-Jan-13 23:56:40

Hi Cunny

I hope they're able to sort his lung out easily. Great news about the sedation. smile

Big hugs xxx

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 24-Jan-13 00:05:09

Cailleach he is very tough. The first week he was in hospital we were trying to work out how many cars he'd written off and simply walked away from, we ran out of fingers hmm the amount of times he's been in accidents, fallen out of trees and been beaten up is unreal. Not to mention the countless heart ops he's had!

Thank you so much everyone for your support through this.

diddl Thu 24-Jan-13 10:14:34

Sounds as if he has been through a lot-even apart from this!!

Hope he continues to improve.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 24-Jan-13 12:39:03

Just saw him briefly before he had another ultrasound and we noticed he's back on nicotine patches. My mum said 'Oh I see you're back smoking again David!' and he grimaced grin he's kind of concious, very weird.

Still thinking of you all xx

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 24-Jan-13 14:07:53

I've been with him for a while and it is heartbreaking. It's so much worse seeing him like this than when he was completely unconcious. He's lightly sedated now which means he can move a little and move his head. He was struggling and getting agitated and trying to get up. He started crying too sad I said to my mum that he looked like he needed a hug and he nodded sad

Sunnywithshowers Thu 24-Jan-13 14:13:54

Oh Cunny big hugs to you. My DB was in hospital after breaking his neck and it was terrifying when he was getting agitated.

(They sorted his neck - he walked out of there a few days later. smile)

BitBewildered Thu 24-Jan-13 15:45:01

Oh poor man, wanting a hug sad. I suppose he's too covered in tubes for one? He IS making progress though, and will be able to be bear hugged by all of you. Can he speak? Sorry if it's a stupid question. It occurs to me that he might have a tube down his throat, but I have no idea.

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 24-Jan-13 15:54:40

He's too covered in wires and tubes for a hug, the best we can do is hold his hand. He can't speak, but he can move his arms, legs and head. It's so sad seeing him so helpless and frightened like this sad

TheCunnyFuntIsAGrittersWife Thu 24-Jan-13 15:56:20

He has a tracheostomy, which means he has a hole in the front of his throat for the ventilator. So his mouth his free.

BitBewildered Thu 24-Jan-13 16:46:55

So distressing for you all. It must be awful to see him like that. I'm guessing that the lessening of his sedation is an indication that he's improving. He has come a long way since your first post!

Sunnywithshowers Sun 27-Jan-13 23:43:53

Hello Cunny I was just popping in to find out how you and David are doing? xxx

StillSlightlyCrumpled Mon 28-Jan-13 09:48:13

Hi cunny, hope goings are still going ok. What a long journey this is for you all. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now