Disastrous driving test ��

(14 Posts)
Cheeka Fri 21-Dec-12 21:17:03

Had my first ever driving test today and it was just... Awful..SIX majors and 6 minors. Examiner had to brake for me, grab the wheel to steer away from parked cars, work the gear for me as I panicked at a roundabout..list goes on. Thoroughly shaken. It was a bit silly of me to sit the test as I was so obviously not ready - My tuition was in the form of intensive lessons over 2 weeks. I had some great lessons where I drove fine but then the next time some ropey ones... I didn't really expect to pass first time but I was hoping to have a decent run at it and come away with a close pass and valuable experience. But this nightmare test was horrendous and terrifying and has really put me off!it doesn't help that the pressure was on as I'm 6 months pregnant with twins...my plan now is to resume lessons after the twins are born but I'm really doubting my abilities now. Has anyone experienced the test from hell?

Pootles2010 Fri 21-Dec-12 21:21:54

Ah you poor thing! Is it just the two weeks you've had? In which case, it's hardly surprising. They are worse than useless. Honestly it's not you at all. Find yourself a decent instructor, start again when your twins are here. You will get there, promise. Chin up!wink

dontcallmehon Fri 21-Dec-12 21:21:58

I took 5 tests before I passed mine. On my 4th, when I was already a capable driver, I got a dangerous fault because I lost it and went to turn right where there was no right turn shock. It was because I knew I had already failed on reverse round a corner, so I went slightly mental! Been driving six months now with no probs!

It took me a long time to be ready though (think 2 years, not 2 weeks) and if you're getting 6 majors I think you need to stop putting pressure on yourself to pass quickly and take your time. You will get there!

kilmuir Fri 21-Dec-12 21:24:57

think maybe you were wrongly advised to go in for the test.

I had lessons for 4 years (on and off) and failed it 5 times. I had at least 3 marks for dangerous on each of them. The examiner had to grab the wheel and use the emergency brakes more than once. This was 16 years ago and I've never had an accident since I passed.

Cheeka Fri 21-Dec-12 21:35:35

Yeah, I was definitely not ready. Kind of my fault because I booked the test to be where my mum lives and so I came down (from London) for a week in October for intensive lessons then booked the test for December where I just spent the previous week doing the 2nd set of intensive. As I'm typing this, it seems like madness!!blush I guess I wanted to get a good run at it before the craziness of looking after two new babies (and toddler).oh well, still cringing from the sheer awfulness of the test. On the bright side, at least the examiner didn't abort the test. Did u know they make u walk back if they do that?!?so my instructor tells me.thanks for your kind messages. Trying to put it behind me now..

Cheeka Fri 21-Dec-12 21:38:55

Unnamed-your post made me feel heaps better!!i'll never forget the shock of feeling the examiners grab the steering wheel [shudder]..

LadyKinbote Fri 21-Dec-12 21:42:53

I've done worse on a test but can't give details as I will out myself! But trust me, it could be worse... blush

MrsJingleBells74 Fri 21-Dec-12 21:44:24

On my first test I crashed the car into a roundabout barrier& knocked half the front bumper off blush

I didn't take a test again for about 4 years after that.

Finally on the 6th attempt at the age of 29 I passed.

SweetMingePie Fri 21-Dec-12 21:49:18

I failed my first test before I even left the test centre blush

Seriously though, these intense courses are no good, you'd be better off doing 1/2 hours a few times a week and going outie a relatives car as well if you can.

Good luck!

orangepudding Fri 21-Dec-12 21:50:06

My first test was terrible. Examiner had to break for a pedestrian on a roundabout and two other stupid major faults too. Second wasn't much better. I was a totally different driver in my tests.
Passed third time because the examiner put me at ease.
I really recommend you put itbehind you rebook as soon as you can carry on with lessons. If you can do it during lessons you can pass your test eventually! Good luck!

Cheeka Fri 21-Dec-12 21:58:30

Wow, Mrs Jingle bells!grin

Yes, I think It is better to learn little and often. It also makes sense to learn in my neighbourhood - if/when I pass, I will be hoping to drive around in London not in my mum's town....

diddlediddledumpling Fri 21-Dec-12 22:12:41

I failed twice years ago and gave just started learning again. Rather than an intensive course, I'm doing three 1 hour lessons each week. I feel confident about passing my test in January, but more importantly I'm getting my nerves under control, since really that's what I failed on before. By the time I take my test, I'll only have been learning for 2 months, so it is doable.

dontcallmehon Fri 21-Dec-12 22:17:27

I think the advantage of taking your lessons over a longer period is that by the time you pass you have driven in different weather conditions and at different times, plus you come across a variety of different traffic scenarios you may have to handle for real when you are driving solo. I think it is much safer to do it that way, as you are not just looking to pass your test, but to be a competent driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now