Please help me find a really nice whiskey to buy DH

(38 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 11-Dec-12 20:45:05

He's just started drinking it again after years of sticking to wine and so i thought I'd get him a really nice one for christmas. But I don't know one whiskey from the other so I need help please.

TIA

Floralnomad Tue 11-Dec-12 20:47:13

My BIL likes Bushmills.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 11-Dec-12 20:48:19

Jameson (Irish)

ajandjjmum Tue 11-Dec-12 20:48:51

Don't know whether this will appeal - and it's a blend rather than a single malt, but Famous Grouse do personally printed labels which are fun.

So it could say on the label - 'The Famous McKenzie's DH'.

BeaWheesht Tue 11-Dec-12 20:50:16

Famous grouse is vile IMO - sorry.

Is it malt whisky he likes? Any ideas of what kind he's liked before? Budget?

Pancakeflipper Tue 11-Dec-12 20:51:02

Bruichladdich.

It's an Islay single malt and divine. A real treat.

FriedSprout Tue 11-Dec-12 20:51:21

My dh likes Laphroiag, and Lagavulin, not sure I spelt those correctly though.

My dad likes single malt. I've bought him loads over the years and the only one he didn't like was Laphraoig - sp? He likes Jura, Glenfidditch and Glenmarangie amongst others - no idea how to spell any of them though.

ViperInTheManger Tue 11-Dec-12 20:56:47

DH likes Highland Park. I hate it all so have no idea. I usually go into Booths (northern equivalent of Waitrose) and ask their advice then buy anything they suggest.

beansmum Tue 11-Dec-12 20:58:47

Highland Park. Or go to a whisky shop and ask.

nocake Tue 11-Dec-12 21:04:08

Don't even consider anything that isn't a single malt. If you really want something special get in touch with Cadenheads (google them. They have a shop in Covent Garden and do mail order). They bottle single casks at cask strength so each bottling is a limited edition. If you know what your DH is drinking now they will be able to recommend something of a similar style.

I will warn you that a bottle won't be cheap. Expect to pay upwards of £50 but it's worth it.

thirdfromleft Tue 11-Dec-12 21:07:20

I recently discovered Glenrothes at a Scottish wedding. It's very smooth and easy to drink.

Caladria Tue 11-Dec-12 21:08:43

Tallisker 18 is lovely.

Waswondering Tue 11-Dec-12 21:09:00

Dh particularly likes Glenmorangie (dark orange bottle). Around £35. HTH

suburbophobe Tue 11-Dec-12 21:10:06

Bushmills, definately. The oldest whisky distillery in the world...

You can get the "norm", Black Bush or the green label (16 years old?).

Aint cheap tho. But it's the best, in my view..

But each to their own grin

mckenzie Tue 11-Dec-12 21:11:45

thank you very much everybody. I'm going to get him a voucher for a whisky tasting at the Cadenheads London place and buy a bottle. I've written down all the ones that you guys have recommended and when i go to a shop I shall then make my final decision based on price and how much i like the look of the bottle smile

nocake Tue 11-Dec-12 21:12:56

He will love a trip to Cadenheads. Very good decision.

HayleBoppingAroundTheXmasTree Tue 11-Dec-12 21:18:16

definitely stick to a single malt for top quality. You can get a decent one for around £30-50.

Dh and Ddad are whiskey mad and recently all went to Edinburgh!

They are currently on jura

Pancakeflipper Tue 11-Dec-12 21:20:00

Oi Mckenzie - are we doing all your Christmas shopping? whiskey, DVD box sets.... grin

upinthehills Tue 11-Dec-12 21:21:31

You must try and find out whether he likes peaty - so Islay malts or non peaty - so Speyside ( gross generalisation but true!)

That will help narrow down a purchase.

If in doubt, go for a nice speyside -less risky!

Caol Ila, we like it a lot. Big treat.

bubbles1231 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:28:11

The trouble with whisky is that the range of flavours is massive and very, very different. Have a look at what he drinks normally, then ask someone's advice on what would be similar in flavour.
www.malts.com/index.php/en_gb/content/view/full/263
this will give some ideas (you'll have to confirm you're over 18 to view)

MrsGeologist Tue 11-Dec-12 21:35:03

The last trip I took, to Scotland, I mostly drank Edradour, as it was the closest distillery, and you've got to drink local, especially if it's not easy to get in England.

Anyway, it was very nice indeed. Apparently, it's theHoC whiskey.
Failing that, I do love Jura.

MumOfTwoCats Tue 11-Dec-12 21:44:34

my dh suggests

Balvenie double wood

JulesJules Netherlands Tue 11-Dec-12 21:47:09

My favourite is Laphroaig. (And Port Ellen! <sob> )

Also love Caol Ila, Jura and Talisker.

The island whiskies have very distinctive taste and peaty flavour. If you think he will prefer a very smooth taste, I would go for a Highland malt instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now