Welwyn Garden City

(8 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Sun 25-Nov-12 21:23:27

We are relocating to this side of London to be closer to parents. I liked the look of WGC, though I've only been there once and only passing through. That some people think it's quiet is a plus for me! I have a 2 year old so I need to think about choosing somewhere near a good school. Can anyone tell what living in WGC is like - what the best parts to live and the parts to avoid please? Also is it fairly £££?

Elizabeth22 Mon 26-Nov-12 13:08:00

Bump

Elizabeth22 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:02:06

Anyone?sad

We're also considering WGC as an option. I think you might be better off reposting this thread in the Property or Hertfordshire threads for more responses.

We've only been to WGC once - just saw a bit of the centre, and don't have very strong opinions on the place yet. I like the number of green spaces but the shopping centre seemed rather soulless.

I understand there's something of a divide when it comes to housing. The 'West Side', which I think is west of rail line, seems largely well to do with lots of 500k+ houses. East of the tracks it's much more affordable. I'm still trying to get an idea about good/bad areas - have read in several threads that Knella road is to be avoided.

Would be interested to hear what you've found so far.

Elizabeth22 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:05:46

Pretty much the same info as you. The west side was built for the bosses and the east side for the workers. The worst I've heard about the place is that it is dull. Originally when it was built there were no drinking places because they were Quakers - so something like that. Also a lot houses are on leases - 99 years or 999 years for example. But that's the extent of my knowledge and not very useful! I would really like some insider local knowledge but I've probably posted in the wrong place.

ContinentalKat Germany Wed 28-Nov-12 22:13:17

WGC can be beautifully green and charming in places, but on the whole I find it very sterile, made rather than grown, if that makes sense.
My boss lives there with his family, and they love it. Schools seem to be alright, boss' youngest just started reception and they said they were spoilt for choice.

morethanasong Wed 28-Nov-12 22:19:07

I grew up in WGC smile My parents are still there but I'm out of touch with schools I'm afraid. I found it boring as a teenager but going back now to visit, I've realised it has some nice parks and attractive buildings. It's also handy for London. Sorry not to be more help; I hope you get the info you need.

Elizabeth22 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:58:59

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now