What age do u all think is an ok age to let child have tv in their room?!?

(89 Posts)
mindermummy Sat 15-Sep-12 08:41:06

My son is 8 and been begging for years to have a tv in his room as all his friends have for years.
I was adamant not to let him as long as I could, but now I'm starting to sway, maybe I should let him now.
Just wondered what sort of ages others let their kids have them. Thanks

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 09:58:09

You can't read and watch TV. because watching TV gives you square eyes wink

akaemmafrost Sat 15-Sep-12 09:59:43

My 9 year old was a free reader at 7. My 6 year old had no goals on her report for motor skills and writing as she is so far ahead smile. It's just balance. There is also a white/blackboard in her room, stacks of paper and a chest of art supplies. She chooses drawing and writing every time.

treadonthecracks Sat 15-Sep-12 10:01:02

No tv's here.

TV is for watching together as a family in our house.

DCs read before bed.

NellyBluth Sat 15-Sep-12 10:01:15

I understand the wanting of a second TV, yes everyone wants to watch different things. But is there not somewhere else you could put it, rather than their bedroom? As a teenager 'my' TV was in the spare room. I'm thinking (when this situation eventually arises) of having a second TV in the spare room, if we have one, or the dining room, or maybe the dining room. Somewhere where the kids can watch it alone, but its not actually in their bedroom.

EnjoyGOLDResponsibly Sat 15-Sep-12 10:01:25

As with games consoles its one of those things I intend to delay as long as possible.

We have 3 Tvs in different rooms in the house, loads of space for everyone to get what they want without Tvs in bedrooms.

MirandaWest Sat 15-Sep-12 10:01:30

No one has a television in their bedroom here but tbh we don't watch much as the reception is dodgy here. Television mostly used for playing Wii smile

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Sep-12 10:05:58

Just because there is a TV in the room doesn't mean they watch it every night religiously before bed. confused Nor does it mean they are watching it at every opportunity to the exclusion of everything else.

DS2 has just started a series of books he can't put down.

DS1 is often doing homework up until bedtime. sad

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:06:43

Op if you want to let your DS have a TV in his room then go right ahead.

He won't turn into a zombie and lose the ability to read and do other things,honest.

Wheresmylifegone Sat 15-Sep-12 10:06:50

I know it's weird for some, but mine never had TV's. As young adults now they still don't (presumably by choice as it's no longer my say so!) What they used to do was read for hours (cue me going in to say "put the book away now please!") Personally the TV in my room left with the Exp who couldn't exist without the flipping thing on from dawn to midnight.... Ah, peace, perfect peace!

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:07:44

Not everyone has a spare room or a dining room either.

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:08:51

My DS uses his bedroom TV for gaming, he rarely watches TV

Jinsei Sat 15-Sep-12 10:09:55

I can understand the argument that people frequently want to watch different things at the same time, and therefore more than one TV is required. Personally, I'd prefer to negotiate and compromise in such situations and to limit overall viewing time, but each to their own.

I don't really understand the people who say that their kids have TVs in their room but only watch them for a couple of hours a week - fair enough if that suits them, but sounds like an utter waste of space and money to me. Why bother?

ihatethecold Sat 15-Sep-12 10:10:11

sparklingbrook
i do get sucked into watching food network when he has it on. it also makes me hungry.
i feel my son personally knows Ina Garten now! grin

WilfSell Sat 15-Sep-12 10:12:55

My first instinct was always a big fat judgy huffy smug NEVER! too. However, I now have three boys very spread out in age and DS1 is 5 years older than his next brother. The younger two share an interest in things as they're closer in age and development (3 years apart). So although we don't have a TV in his room, he does have a PC in there on which he watches stuff on iplayer that is just too old or too scary for the younger ones. It also means he has a bit of independence from them too. It works really well. If I could get my act together, I'd sort out a TV box/aerial in our back room too - we have an Xbox in there and a TV you can watchDVDs on but no connection.

My main worry now would be him watching into the night so even if we did, I would enforce a switch off time.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Sep-12 10:13:05

So because they have TVs in their room they should watch them 24/7 then to get the use out of them Jinsei?

It's an option that's all. They are there if they want to go up, relax and watch a DVD, or a programme they like but nobody else does. In the mornings DS1 has a music channel on while he is getting ready for school. He likes it. smile

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:13:28

I never limited TV either <shrugs>

usualsuspect3 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:14:14

oh yes Sparkling, no way would I listen to Kerrang first thing in the morning.

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Sep-12 10:14:16

So what if our DC wanted to read books late into the night? Would that be ok?

MardyBra Sat 15-Sep-12 10:17:38

Never. They might end up writing in txtspk.

Mine got them at 14.
Which coincided with them both losing interest in watching tv. confused.
It was the start of GCSEs at school and they got a desk and computer in their rooms, having previously shared mine family one.
I have only ever known them to watch the tv when they have friends over and even then it tends to be a DVD.

Victoria3012 Sat 15-Sep-12 10:22:00

gurlwiththefrothycurl Yes my son reads a lot of books ( We have a whole wall of floor to ceiling bookcases in the dining room.. Do i get a mumsnet gold star for that?) A tv in the bedroom does not mean a child will be educationally damaged. I give my child the choice, he may decide to watch Mythbusters in his bedroom, he may decide to read a book. He gained level 5 SAT's across the board so strangely enough he is managing to read and do his homework ( Ill take another mumsnet gold star for the stealth boast) smile.

flyoverthegoldenhill Sat 15-Sep-12 10:34:56

and only if they don't wet the bed

Jinsei Sat 15-Sep-12 10:38:45

So because they have TVs in their room they should watch them 24/7 then to get the use out of them Jinsei?

No, there's no "should" about it, but if they're only watching a couple of hours a week, I can't see why they need a tv in their own room. But as I said earlier, each to their own...

cece Sat 15-Sep-12 10:42:05

18 and preferably when they have left home.

Sparrowp Sat 15-Sep-12 10:43:54

Never is probably best, but I'd be willing to settle for flyover's suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now