The thread that could save a life

(149 Posts)

So I was really shocked at the terrible camping tragedy a few weeks ago where people died from carbon monoxide poisoning from the fumes given off by a disposable barbecue. It was a horribly sad but really shocking for me because I didn't know:

Disposable bbq's gave off carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide 'sinks' so you are most at danger at floor level
Tents do not offer enough ventilation to prevent it.

<Thick emoticon>

Then the other day a fireman told me that one of the biggest causes of fires these days are phone/laptop chargers plugged in but not connected to a device. I had no idea.

And when I did a first aid course when PFB DD1 was born, the St John Ambulance woman told me that if she had her way, balloons would be outlawed until children were around 8-10. Smaller children try to blow them up, they don't have the lungs for it and the balloon suddenly pings into the mouth/back of throat and no 'upside down/back banging/heimlich maneuver is ever going to shift them'. She said that the 999 emergency services operators always feel their hearts sink when someone calls up in a panic because a child has swallowed a balloon because it so often has a grim outcome.

My DC think I'm a bit mad about balloons now. But hey ho.

Please share more 'hidden dangers' that we might not all be aware of. Not to give us all the horrors but seriously, I wouldn't have thought twice about the disposable barbeque and it's really made me wonder if I am doing anything else stupid/dangerous.

IAmBooybilee Mon 28-May-12 10:21:04

i've also heard that about air fresheners being a massive fire hazard.

PrisonerOfWaugh Mon 28-May-12 10:23:08

Rotary washing lines that are folded down are at exact toddler neck height, they are as much risk as blind cords. Either cover them up or leave the washing line up out of reach.

A fireman told me once that washing machines or dryers were a prime cause of floods and fires in the home, and that especially should not be left running while everyone is out.

only4tonight Mon 28-May-12 10:23:17

Not so much an issue now with flat screen tvs but tea light candles on top of tvs used to be a massive problem. The metal cases got hot that melted a hole in the plastic top of the tv so the lit candle droped in and everything caught on fire.

Also don't smoke in bathrooms. Hairspray + spark = BOOM!

QIelf Mon 28-May-12 10:24:22

everyone should know about secondary drowning

ToryLovell Mon 28-May-12 10:27:49
Birnamwood Mon 28-May-12 10:31:13

silent drowning
video

As a pp said, when a person is drowning they are not flailing around shouting for help, it is silent and can go unnoticed

TheRhubarb Mon 28-May-12 10:41:16

So can choking. A person who is choking may not make any noise at all, they may just fall down on the floor and stop breathing. Which is why you should always check the airways of someone who is unconscious.

insancerre Mon 28-May-12 10:44:39

plug socket covers make plug sockets live
they are safer without the covers

LtEveDallas Mon 28-May-12 10:54:10

C&P from a post I made on the 'Things you are evangelical about' thread:

Drowning doesn't look like drowning.

Too many people think it's just like the movies with arms waving and coughing and spluttering.

The reality is much scarier, much quicker and SILENT

Link HERE

Scarier Link HERE

Solo Mon 28-May-12 10:58:18

Don't let children pull front doors closed using the letter box. My Ds got his thumb caught in a sprung letter box at 17 months and it cut off a considerable amount of his thumb...the more you pull, the more it grips and cuts into fingers/thumb. He was lucky that my parents got him to A&E so quickly and a brilliant surgeon reattached it.

Thumbwitch Mon 28-May-12 11:04:32

That is interesting about the phone charger. I leave mine plugged in the whole time but always switch it off at the plug; but when I haven't (because it's been plugged into an extension lead that services other electrical equipment, it has always stayed cold unless a phone is actively being charged.
So - maybe there was a fault in the charger involved, maybe the phone was actually being charged, maybe there was something else closing the circuit on the plug - or maybe there are some chargers that continue to pump electricity into the open air. Worth checking out! Or just always switch off/unplug your charger, I guess.

Random throwing up followed by eating normally; frequent headaches, especially on waking; loss of balance and co-ordination; fits without fever; sudden bouts of lethargy; (and I'm sure other symptoms too) may all be symptoms of brain tumour. They aren't easy to spot in young children as they may be sporadic and can be written off as ear infections, tonsilitis, febrile convulsions (if docs don't bother to check fever is present), teething - if the symptoms persist, INSIST on referral for a scan.

rockdoctor Mon 28-May-12 11:06:02

In a similar vein to the letter box posting, I had a friend whose toddler severed a big toe trying to close a sliding patio door.

AvocadoAndFitch Mon 28-May-12 11:16:53

Can I also add, with balloons young babies and children chewing on them and popping them, sending a piece into the windpipe and them choking.

I saw this happen at a party when I was 20. Fortunately the baby survived but was a close one. Everyone looked around after hearing a pop, didn't realise the baby sat on the floor was choking until it's head hit the ground. Then took a while for people to realise the pop was from the balloon the baby had and it was stuck.

I still think about that poor baby.

4aminsomniac Mon 28-May-12 11:21:39

Just asked my DH about phone chargers, he its well qualified in electronics generally, and he confirms you mustn't leave them on with no phone attached!

Apparently they have some electronics in them which continues to operate when phone is not there, eg. A circuit that monitors the state of the thing being charged.

So, please turn off or unplug chargers!

SaggyCeratops Mon 28-May-12 11:33:17

Please do your child car seat straps up properly. Thy need to be TIGHT! If they aren't, you might as well but not bother. They need to be the right height too.
My friend had a car crash. The straps on her seat were too loose. The impact pushed her baby out of the seat. He was fine, but it could have been far worse! Extra clothes in winter can also cause problems. Better to take them off and use more blankets.

SaggyCeratops Mon 28-May-12 11:34:43

I HATE balloons. Bloody awful things! sad

OddBoots Mon 28-May-12 11:39:54

It makes no difference if you unplug or switch off a charger when not in use so I have got myself one of these - it works really well.

These are horrible, but fantastically good to know.

Had no idea about trampolines being especially dangerous. Nor the air fresheners.

MiladyBrochTuarach Mon 28-May-12 11:41:52

I would assume that the phone charger/laptop thing is because they get really hot when they have been plugged in for a long time, if you touch the main body of the charger it is scary how much heat it gives out.

I'm sure someone will be along to let us know for definite soon.

madmomma Mon 28-May-12 11:45:14

fantastic thread - didn't know some of these. So wrt the socket covers, how come they're not safe?

My dd is 3 and begged for a trampoline as all her friends have them. They are banned in some countries as they cause so many accidents. There's a document on the prevention of accidents website and it says something like, most accidents are when more than one person is on the tranpoline. And under 8's. It says something like if two people are jumping and get out of synch, the force of the trampoline coming up to meet the second jumper before they are ready is akin to falling from a three storeys hence spinal injury. It says trampolines should have an enclosure and only be used by one person at a time.

I hate it as my dd goes to play at friends and they all go on together which is most risky. I'll try to find the link but i'm on my phone.

Thanks for this thread.

I'm always aware of DC's over excited jumping on the trampoline in case of broken bones.

I also know someone whose child get stuck in a rotary washing like that was down. Luckily he was ok

SugarBatty Mon 28-May-12 11:49:00

Small polystyrene balls or even shards off packaging can expand when swallowed or inhaled and lead to choking.

Solo Mon 28-May-12 11:50:32

In a socket (in the UK anyway) the top hole has a cover inside which prevents things being poked in. If you poke something into the upper hole and watch the lower ones, you'll see the cover lifting which makes it live. So if you are pushing a plastic cover into the whole thing ~ it's then live!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now