Little Italy 25

(1000 Posts)
Rosa Thu 29-Mar-12 11:23:07

Greetings, Ciao , Welcome , Benvenuto

MerlinScot Sat 02-Mar-13 16:54:43

Franca, you mean England though. School is free in Scotland, although the children under 3 have playgroups and nursery is only over 3.

None of my friends found a place in a nido for their children, some not even in a materna. I can tell you that school situation in my area is very desperate (used to live in the Florentine area).
Very often children are in nonni's care until they are 4 or 5.
It seems a bit heavier for them... then nidos are only for single parents working because if both parents do work, the chance of a place is zero because of the income.
That also explain why in Tuscany children of other nationalities are the majority in the nidos, very often because only one parent works in extracomunitarie families. I can tell you that for sure because my mum lives in a ground floor flat and on one of her house sides there is an asilo nido, she chats very often with the teachers about this topic.

Anyway, I would prefer to pay 500£ out of our British wages than 400euros of Italian wages. Me and my ex fiances together, once paid the mortgage and the loans, what was left was barely enough to pay for food. That equals that, at least where I was living before, you can't have children if you don't have 'healthy' nonni.

Sorry to butt into an established thread but we are living in Padova for 18 months with two littlies.

I cannot work out how to get the little one vaccinated here (13months 5 injections fest). Can I without il libretto/tessera?? I do have her UK red book here.

Am I better off just giving up and trying to squeeze in a UK visit? I am also trying to do it all by phone as I have the temacity to work in the mornings and only want to take a morning off if I know I'm going to an actual appointment!

She goes to a nido by the way, found a place easily and she loves it! There seems to be a lot of choice in Padova for the under 3's. Over 3's harder. Our 3 year old is at the International School which is fine for pre school but ultimately rubbish....

MerlinScot Tue 05-Mar-13 08:13:44

Well.... shouldn't vaccinations be free for anyone registered with Italian NHS?

If you will be a resident for more than three months, you should get registered with the Italian ASL in Padova as soon as possible, so you can vaccinate your child. Mmm as far as I know they should be able to check your British red book and then work it out from there... What does your medico della mutua say?
The sanità in UK is a lot less competent than the Italian one, so if you register with ASL your child will be entitled to a lot of free care and usually even the preventive one, i.e. general check-ups for children.

I copy here an extract from the Tuscan ASL:

bambini vaccinati regolarmente (questo deve risultare dalla documentazione ufficiale rilasciata dalle autorità del luogo di provenienza del bambino): si proseguirà, in base all’età, con le vaccinazioni secondo quanto previsto dal nostro calendario onde ottenere una completa copertura vaccinale.

Don't worry about the established thread we're also here to answer questions ;)

Rosa Tue 05-Mar-13 08:40:10

Greetings..have come up for air after catering for dd1 party on Sunday and washing 30kg of luggage .. Seeing as they opened it I am washing every thing in there... They stole a chain off a pendant, a kids medal from the jnr olympics and some tacky stuff the kids bought for friends. i have to stop and wait o write the complaint as I keep getting too rude with them!!!!
Today is dd1 birthday... She is super excited and I have the family coming round amd teaching this pm so have to be quick... Obvious house looks like a bomb has been through it.
Pomme di chocolat..I am in Venice so just down the road. If you are a temp resident then your dc are entitled to treatment .. You will need however to go to the USL and register them with a paed and then you will get a tessera sanitaria it might only last a year but you will be ' in the system'. This link http://www.ulss16.padova.it/it/distrettuali/distretto-n-3/vaccinazioni/,368 might help.
If you are in the state system then you are advised to have all the vaccinations.
Here in Vce places can get limited with Nidi and materne. Materne you do have the private option but not with nido. there are the odd places with spazio cuccioli and also they do a but of ' sharing' like 1 registered mum looks after 3 kids and they rotate but it was far too hippy for me esp re the food.. Also it depends on the year. E.g the year below minirosa was a boom year and places are more limited.
Must go and tidy/ cook / lesson prepare ....Iberia can wait until domani..theiving bastards.

spaghettina Tue 05-Mar-13 10:48:42

I've been very impressed with the nido system here in Milan, as Franca says most people get a place somewhere, even if it's not your first choice, and even if you do have to pay the full amount (465 i think) it's not that much compared to the alternatives of private nursery or nanny. If you want you can leave kids at nido 10 hours a day, for women who have to work long hours.

I wouldn't have minded a childminder set-up like the one you describe Rosa, but they don't seem to be very common here in Milan.
I'm surprised to hear the situation is so bad in Tuscany. I am self-employed and couldn't work without the nursery here as we don' t have any grandparents in a 1000 km radius!

Re. vaccinations - our pediatra (who we registered with through the ASL) told us where to get them, we went to our local "consultorio" where there's a vaccination clinic and they were very good about reminding us when to go and get boosters etc. As Merlin says, register with the ASL and it's all quite straightforward.

Thank you for all the help, I will go off and register with ASL immediately. I seem to have been a litle lax with medical things - opps! On the vaccine front I had one of those mini miracles that happen every so often in Italy - a lady called me back and gave me the number I should call and then when I called them (only between 13.00-14.00 lun e mar of course) i got an appointment! Amazing.

I also amazed my lovely saviour lady by telling her that we do everything in one go in the UK not over two appointments as they do here. We are 'piu sportivi' in the UK apparently!

I pay €370 plus food (about €80) for 5 hours x 5 days at our nursery. Much cheaper than UK nurseries.

Rosa - any tips for baby groups/children activities in the area? I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and in the pms we could do with some entertainment! Looking on line I have found an International Ladies group in Padova but the baby group there is on in the am (I work ams) and am feeling bizarrely shy about it all!

Rosa Thu 07-Mar-13 09:15:35

Sorry I can't help much with groups and things but in the warmer days head for the park thats a pretty social place I find. I started making friends when they went to pre school but they don't do 'clubs' I find as in the Uk.
Well written teh letter to Ibera and will have to walk away from the Pc and come back and re write it I guess as it is too scarcastic !! Plus my blood boils everytime I think about it. Still not managed to wash the lot just keep adding bits to the washes when I can get them done. Yesterday pissed it down and tomorrow is looking the same...and teh weekend to be honest. GOing to abilmente in Vicenza domani and looking forward to it.

What's abilmente Rosa? Is it a fiera?

Hello girls, sorry I disappeared. Welcome Pommedechocolat smile

Hope all is well, I am feeling under the weather, the weather is not helping!

Rosa Fri 08-Mar-13 06:31:38

Its a fiera of fai da te tipo cakedesign, patchwork, beading, crafty kind of things going with SIL and dh has just handed me extra dosh ..... As well as telling me to fill the car up with petrol !!!!!!!

BananaGio Fri 08-Mar-13 08:59:17

Hope all goes well with registering with the ASL Pomme and welcome to the thread. Rosa enjoy the fiera, sounds fun.
Another day, another conviction for the Orange One. And Grillo is starting to scare me now. Hope all goes well with registering with the ASL Pomme and welcome to the thread. Rosa enjoy the fiera, sounds fun.
Another day, another conviction for the Orange One. And Grillo is starting to scare me now.

Ah, che divertente, have fun Rosa!

Gio, he is scary. He sounds deranged.

MerlinScot Sat 09-Mar-13 22:35:22

Hello everybody, sorry but we went down south on short notice for DH job interviews... So it became reality, we will move during the summer or even before... Bye bye Scotland...

Rosa, I feel so angry for what happened to you... I had to wash everything in my suitcase too, after Iberia lost mine and I got it one week later... But nothing was missing!! sad and then they bothered to steal children's stuff... I'm speechless!

Rosa Sun 10-Mar-13 20:35:51

Oh Merlin a move hope its to somewhere nice and you will be happy there... Have you got snow again saw it is forecast in the UK? We should have had heavy rain today but the sun came out so managed to partially dry more stuff. Still have a shed load to do as the dds seem to be lasting a day max in clothes right now. Oh how I wish they has grembules , would save me a fortune on washing powder.
So wise Little Italy mums what the heck is going to happen with the government? All the talk about is the blessed pope now then they go into a load of waffle and I don't understand it all.

No idea what will happen with the governo. Grillo keeps saying they will never give the fiducia to a PD government, as they don't want to "collude" with any traditional party, because they want to "mandare tutti a casa"... I can understand their logic. Actually, I just think they are deranged! grin. The PDon the other hand doesn't want to govern with the PDL, also because tis voters could have a fit.

I have come to hate the grembiuli, they are always dirty and at times I don't have any clean ones... I am too disorganised. Plus the washing machine broke on Friday angry

Merlin, I hope you get to go somewhere nice, do you know where you might be going?

BananaGio Mon 11-Mar-13 07:43:06

I loathe the populism that surounds Grillo. Hate the whole wont be interviewed, dark glasses, cultivating a myth approach. The country is in a mess, you got 25percent of the vote surely you have an obligation to at least talk to pd as the slender majority party? At least to see if you can develop a programme of reform? Try and change things from the inside instead of this wanting 100% of the vote. Or am I being overly simplistic?
Merlin how do you feel about the move?

I totally agree Gio... but they are playing the duri e puri card. It's dramatic.

Is it Milan or is it still bloody cold and miserable? I can't take it anymore!

MerlinScot Mon 11-Mar-13 20:54:54

OMG, don't get me started on Grillo... he's all over the papers in UK and USA.. what's this fascination with him? shock
I can't get it... I mean I can get people is fed up with the system etc etc, but Grillo doesn't seem the answer at all.... BananaGio I agree about what you said about him and his obligations... except that he doesn't feel he has any... I know what he's aiming at (he wants to see the old parties disbanded) and although I could partly agree with that idea... he is not going to solve that issue from the outside... he has to change the voting system before that... So I found that his stubborness starts to be annoying and I think it will also be 'controproducente'...

Rosa, yes we had snow again but up here in northern Scotland there was a worse issue... The temperatures dropped to minus 10 last night... We're supposed to have -5 for one week!! This is crazy, it is f***in' March, GRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Frost is getting the best of all the colourful tulips and daffodils I had planted in October ;(
Today when I was waiting for my lecture to start I was reading on wiki that where I live is at the same latitude as Alaska's capital!!!
So happy we're changing to a better latitude, although still cold....

DH found a job near the Lake District... he's browsing properties on the couch at the moment LOL Although he will stay with his parents until I can leave Scotland because I am bound here until the end of my school term... GRRRR and more GRRRR......

BananaGio Tue 12-Mar-13 07:44:35

Exactly Merlin, use the votes you have, get inside and change from the inside. tell Bersani you will do a deal based on a ten point plan of reform or whatever you come up with but respect the fact that the majority of people did not vote for you, get inside the system and start the process. The fact he is not makes him seem either a) as Franca said deranged or b) just a rabble rouser and not a serious contender. It is starting to make me livid. Italians deserve better. Even the idiots the voted for Berlusca grin
So Pope day here. All quite exciting. Am wondering if I will be able to see the smoke rise from my roof, think will give it a go.
So Merlin you are going from one beautiful part of the Uk to another. Love love the Lake district.

Rosa Tue 12-Mar-13 07:49:22

He does seem to be just too negative on everything, Agree things need to be changed but what does he want total control? I think if they went to the polls again he would loose votes simply as he has been so unwilling to collaborate and Bersani would do better as at least he is trying .
POpe ahoy ...that should keep the news going for a bit.
Chucking it down here damp and miserable .
Lake District never been but everybody says its lovely. SO DH will go asap and you will follow so that will mean you will have the fun of packing up the house and doing the 'real move'?.

I think he is both a) and b) grin. Anyway, I totally agree with both your analysis. Oooh the Pope! With all the "excitement" hmm of the elections, I totally forgot about the Pope!

Oooh Merlin, never been to the Lake District, but it does look stunning from the pics I've seen.

Dh is going to the UK today, he should be in Brussels now, waiting for his connect flight to Birmingham, but it's delayed, I think because of the weather. And I am worrying sad

I am also stuck at home as I am waiting for the tecnico for the washing machine. Uffa.

Crap weather. It rained heavily this morning, and it feels very cold. Fed up.

Rosa Tue 12-Mar-13 15:01:06

We now have blazing sunshine and I wish I hung the washing outside instead of the stendino... Hope the machine gets mended and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg !! Is it still snowing in the UK?

Why, oh why is my filmon app not showing the UK channels anymore? I feel like crying. Not joking. sad

Rosa Wed 13-Mar-13 09:58:31

Mine was working the other day. Do we ned to download another version or something.? DH is out all day and this is his department... Minirosa was promised ccbeebies later today as well... Arrgghhh.
Its chucking it down here.

I downloaded it again, but no success, just silly channels! This has depressed me even more.

Dark clouds here, windy. Che palle!

Rosa Wed 13-Mar-13 12:12:45

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/other_subjects/1707071-Little-Italy-26

Girls we have got to 26,000 posts so started another thread.

Franca will get Dh onto it later as we cannot have no British Tv if needed will e mail you !!

This thread is not accepting new messages.