Have you ever phoned the Samaritans?

(16 Posts)
Beetroot Fri 21-Oct-05 17:48:05

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Fri 21-Oct-05 17:50:40

I have, but it's not something I really want to talk about on here. They can't advise you, they can't offer solutions, but they can listen, and sometimes that's all someone needs. They're patient, and even if you don't speak (or just cry) they will keep listening.

JoolsToo Fri 21-Oct-05 17:51:25

thankfully, no! Nice to know they're there if you need them though.

donnie Fri 21-Oct-05 18:05:24

someone , luckily, phoned them on my behalf and persuaded me to talk.
They were excellent.

Donbean Fri 21-Oct-05 18:07:09

No, been close though

jollymum Fri 21-Oct-05 18:08:13

Yes, same as WWB, can't talk about it but was very frightened and scared at the time. Was advised to think about informing the Police, although they really aren't supposed to give "advice". Have thought about doing the training to become one but am afraid I would get too involved.

mummytosteven Fri 21-Oct-05 19:06:39

Yes, several times. It was when I was very depressed, going through a bad phase with OCD/Depression when I was PG a couple of years ago and needed someone to talk to as the tension was building up unbearably for me. Some people were fab, one or two I didn't find any help. They kind of help you talk things through, and think through what you are going to do next -e.g. asking you if you have seen a doctor, that sort of thing. I.e. facilitate you to make decisions, rather than telling you what to do.

Mytwopenceworth Fri 21-Oct-05 19:14:12

yes. they are good for those times when you are at screaming point and just want someone to hear you out. its not life changing, but it helps to let it all out, especially if you are someone who doesnt let rl people know anything personal. sometimes though, just talking something all the way thru can help you to see it differently and THAT may prompt you to make changes.

Lonelymum Fri 21-Oct-05 19:21:22

I phoned them once as an irresponsible teenager with my friends looking to mess around. I made up some story and talked it through with someone and ended up feeling quite guilty in the end because it was all a hoax and the person talking to me was so kind to me. I never let on it was a hoax call though so I hope I spared their feelings that way.

I take my hat off to the volunteers - what amazing people they must be. I don't think I would ever ring them for real though as I usually want to know what to do next, not just talk things through.

cheekychops03 Sun 23-Oct-05 13:33:31

I di and wouldn't ever phone them again. I had PND and felt suicidal. The woman I spoke to told me to go and make a cup of tea and calm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

footprint Sun 23-Oct-05 13:37:18

I have. Was depressed and suicidal. It helped that they let you talk for as long as you want but I found I didn't really know what to say and ended up just saying, well, thanks, I'll go now.

HuggyBear Sun 23-Oct-05 13:48:04

Yes

A few months ago i had a really rough time, starting getting anxiety and feeling panicy because of something coming back from my past.

The lady i talked to was lovely, she let me waffle on for a while

I found it really helped.

sanchpanch Sun 23-Oct-05 14:40:52

i wish i could phone sometimes but my mum is a smaritan, so i always worry i will get her on the end of the line, when sometimes i just want to talk to a stranger.........

Tortington Sun 23-Oct-05 15:24:59

i did - i wanted advice and didn't know who to go too - the advice was about my mums nutbucketness. now the samaritans were very nice but unhelpful - i dont know why i phoned them really - i just wasn't in a poition at the time to know what services were on offer.

HRHWickedwaterwitch Sun 23-Oct-05 17:54:59

Yes I have, many years ago and it was great, really helpful and they were so kind and made me feel a lot better because they listen without judgement. You don't have to be suicidal either( I wasn't, just very down and it was very late at night) My ex SIL volunteers for them and the training they give their volunteers is really impressive, I think they provide a tremendous service.

samaritan16 Sat 16-Apr-16 08:03:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now