Mysteries that intrigue you?

(547 Posts)
maduggar Mon 18-Oct-10 13:00:46

I love reading about unsolved mysteries, they fascinate me!

Here are a few of my faves ...

sommerton man

number stations - this one has noise!

the Beaumont children - imagine 3 of your children going mising

What are yours? Stonhenge, UFOs, The Kennedeys ...?

juneybean Tue 26-Oct-10 22:31:31

Oo where abouts in Durham was it?

tinylion Wed 27-Oct-10 17:02:16

daren't put the name on here incase my old friend is on, or anyone knows of them! But basically a big old house with stone greyhounds in the garden, and a massive red wall around.

tinylion Wed 27-Oct-10 17:21:28

has anyone mentioned

EVPs? electronic voice phenomenon? Very creepy...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomenon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_slip

Or timeslips, such as that one in Versailles? or the ones in Bold Street Liverpool?

NorhamGardens Wed 27-Oct-10 17:50:35

Moon landings, they happened when we hadn't invented the ZX spectrum etc yet we landed several times. I know the evidence suggests we did but I struggle to get my head around it given our technology levels at the time.

Just googled the Charlie Chaplin footage with the woman with a mobile phone, looks fake/another simple explanation for it to me.

Gory09 Thu 28-Oct-10 07:20:57

NorthamGardens I am struggling as well with the concept of moon landing (although I have no idea at all as to what ZX spectrum is). How come was it possible 40 years ago and has not been done since with all the scientific and technology progress that has been made after 1969?

DeadBodyofKaraStarbuckThrace Thu 28-Oct-10 07:42:48

'all the scientific and technology progress that has been made after 1969?'

Because it is nothing to do with progress, the moon landings were done for political reasons.

We have the technology to do it again but we won't because it will be very very very expensive, even more dangerous than the ISS missions and would not return enough scientific breakthroughs to make it worth while.

The computer that powered the space shuttle was the same power as a BBC Micro - but really that was all that was needed! Most of the calculations needed were done on Earth, the rocket & module were essential guided missiles!! So didn't need sophisticated computer systems. Remember the conditions for the astronauts were similar to being in a submarine - yet we have had submarines far longer that the moon landings!

tinylion Thu 28-Oct-10 19:29:25

bump

ZombieChickensHaveNoMercy Thu 28-Oct-10 19:32:05

I love this thread <hugs MN in a wave of hippy love>

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Oct-10 19:33:30

Love this thread too Zombiechickens (great name!!)

Anyone have anymore?

juneybean Fri 29-Oct-10 20:41:58

Yes keep them come, especially this weekend grin

juneybean Fri 29-Oct-10 20:42:50

^ coming gah!

ragged Fri 29-Oct-10 20:53:08

Why have local Sainsbury's stopped stocking McVites Cheddars, is it really because they want to give "lots" of other "new lines" of savory biscuits shelf space, or is it some nefarious scheme to deprive DS and other DC of one our family staples?

Hunh? Hunh? Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

I am reading this at the moment which has really whet my appetitie to read more about unsolved mysteries and cases. The Lindbergh kidnapping in particular was very sad and the zodiac killer was the most chilling I think, simply because no-one knows why he stopped...

WillyBumBalls Wed 25-May-11 18:42:47

Wow just found this thread by mistake searching for something completely different, have just read all of it and it is pretty interesting stuff so thought I'd revive it!

The Bermuda triangle and spontaneous combustion freak me out.

gremlindolphin Fri 27-May-11 21:54:32

I have never heard of "time slip" before but I had a wierd thing happen when walking in woods with my mum once. There had once been a settlement where we were walking and I climbed up a mound a little way away from mum and suddenly felt very different and far away from her in time.

She also felt it a the same time without me telling her. Its very difficult to explain but interesting to read something that brought it all back.

gremlindolphin Thu 02-Jun-11 23:08:46

Wow I killed this one didn't I!!

Stories like this interest me.

And Skara Brae is fascinating even if it's not a mystery in the way other things here are.

I've had the sleep paralysis thing happen to me, although never with a hag sitting on my chest (thank god!). I do 'see' a dark figure standing by the bed looking down at me, but it always seems male to me. It's not a 'good' figure either, it's scary even though it's all dark and shadowy.

MysticMugBug Sat 02-Feb-13 22:43:29

the Princes in the tower, JonBenet Ramsey, psychics, why people mistreat animals and children in particular

MysticMugBug Sat 02-Feb-13 22:47:55

how waves are said to be controlled by the moon, why people take pleasure in murdering others, the psychology of my pet cat

gaggiagirl Sat 27-Apr-13 23:13:07

Geff the talking mongoose, google it that shit will freak you out!

KalevalaForMePlease Sat 29-Jun-13 05:42:36

Have loved this thread, just wanted to update though on the Lindy Chamberlain case. The poor woman finally had an apology.
www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-12/azaria-chamberlain-inquest-findings/4065466

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now