OK U NEED TO LISTEN THIS IS SCARY!

(73 Posts)
stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 22:27:26

OK mums this could be really important.

DS 11 has been looking at a blog site SHANE DAWSON.

He's going to bed now but has been muttering about a website that I saw him looking at. I thought he was wecamming his cousin but in fact it's a website called OMEGLE.

I just logged on, without a webcam and actually thought he was joking. He has a webcam set up to talk to his friends and cousins. NOOO..he can talk to random strangers on line and chooose to see them/they can see him or apparently they disconnect if they see he is a child1!!!

wtf is going on!!!

I logged on and a random stranger talked to me. I was asked how old I was and was I a male? To be fair, it might have been a decent guy at this time of night looking to "speak" to a lady but it freaked me out.

Can I ask you all to try this webiste out (without webcam or with if you're brave)to see how scary this is and how easy it is for our kids to access. I am usually in bed around 9pm and smallest one is nearly 12. He often is awake after me. His dad quite often crashes to sleep and we thought we had the policing stuff sorted. His brother s a compter geek and even he didn't know about this site.

This is not a new thing. Get better Internet protection.

There's a mumsnet guide somewhere.....

Lavitabellissima Fri 27-Aug-10 22:34:35

Have you not heard of chat roulette?

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 22:38:01

I thought we had. It's not funny, I am talking to someone at the moment who is Tunisian and wants my phone number, even tho I said I couldn't give it out because of my Mum and Dad.

I want to see how far I can take this, I haven't given my age out yet but will happily pretned to be 13 and want to meet up if this site gets closed down.

Please would some of you try to make up people, boys and girls and see what happens?

NOW....Let me know who you r talking to and I'll see if it matches {there is no i feel sick emoticon]

Pretend to be 13 - you sound like you are 13. hmm

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 22:47:40

I must be so innocent. I thought we had ok computer protection and I haven't heard of chat roulette.blush I have just talked to loads of people and tbh some of them must be ok, but my son is ofetn up late on the computer next to his dad, suppsoedly playing games and when I mentioned this to his dad, he said I was stupide because of our computer protection stuff. One guy I spoke to asked if I would webcam, he was 23 and I said I was 15!! My son could/would be able to do this, I couldn't. Please check it out, lie through your teeth and see what happens.sad

ummm chatrooms? this stuff has been around for ever, you need to talk to your son and make him fully aware of how dangerous it is to make 'friends' with people online

TriplePachyderm Fri 27-Aug-10 22:54:03

you do sound well dodgy tbh

I mean this kind of thing is why we are careful about internet protection

go get a grip and grow up

cheesesarnie Fri 27-Aug-10 22:55:01

its not innocent its ignorant.if youre 12 year old is on the internet you should know what hes on,dont assume.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 22:55:26

WTF - I'm not 13, I'm 50 this year and this scared me shitless. My son can be seen by and look at unknown people to me and I didn't know. Well, sorry for sounding immature but if you have kids put them on here and see what happens!

TriplePachyderm Fri 27-Aug-10 22:56:29

well obviously we wont because we are aware of what are children are doing on the internet

and know the risks

mel1981 Fri 27-Aug-10 22:56:42

ive looked on them before got loads of dodgy ppl, men asking straight up for sex on webcam, to trade pics etc. (obviously not all ppl are dodgy tho)
I wouldnt trust it tbh DEFINATELY wouldnt let my kids on them.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:04:25

He's the youngest of four. If any of you have four teens (Custy) and can watch them all the time, then you get a f'ing medal. He goes to other kids' houses, and I am not dodgy. WTF!! I have been on this site before any of you and I am not a troll, before anyone gets arsey!! He has talked about this site before but he is also on faecbook with all of his cousins. He got into a row with a gril from his class, bearing in mind they're 11. He had words, so did she and then according to him the mum got involved. I didn't believe him but when I threatened to ask her about it at school, found out what she (aged at least 30) had put on Facebook to my son.

He's up late at night because he goes to bed at 9pm, in his room (no computer) and then can play games etc. Over the hols he has mentined thist twice and TBH I thought he was making it up. I posted this because I wanted people to be aware of this site OMEGLE and to make sure their kids avoid it,

I will block it tomorrow if I can,

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:06:16

OK TripleP, how old "are" your kids? You sound like a perfect parent to me, but yopu could be a man or a lady, your name doesn't suggest either way?! Why would I talk to you if I don't know you are "real" Get my point!

lol @ faecbook!

But have I missed something here - how can they see you/your DS if you don't have a webcam?

Lynli Fri 27-Aug-10 23:09:55

It is not a surprise really. I would never give my child this much freedom on line especially with a web-cam.

I have big brother on my DS laptop, it logs everything he does and sends instant alerts to me if he accesses anything inappropriate. It key logs every conversation and takes screen shots.

We agreed he could have his own lap top and Internet access only under these conditions.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:12:24

I am just alerting people to something I had no idea about. If I put anything into out "GOOGLE" website it would come back with loads of stuff he's not allowed to look at. I didn't know about this site and am glad that i've found it as I can now try ad alert other parents to it. That's all, I didn't ask for judgement on my computer/parenting skills. I hope your child hasn't found it before you. I have now taken and hidden the web cam. He is well aware of stranger danger and just said "well, if I talk to them and quote my age, they generally disconnect". He's not thick, he's very streetwise having three older siblings and just thinks it's a a laugh. His theory is that if and I quote "if they're asking lots of innappropriate questions or ask to see more than my face, they're sick and dodgy but it's fun talking to people".shock

SingItBack Fri 27-Aug-10 23:16:02

ohhhh stickyj you really don't want to be having a go at TripleP.

TBH, you sound a bit odd to me. What that all about, pretending to be a child for the purpose of outing some dodgy folk on a chat site.......confused

I'm sure you are only worried about your children, but you come across as a bit nuts.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:16:35

I think most of you need to look at what ur kids are looking at/talking about. he's well aware of the dangers of talking to adults etc etc but is going to Seniors in Sept. On Mumsnet we all talked about rude words/home influences and how we would never allow our little darlings to bee "like that". I don't know where he heard about this website but I also know he knows about things I didn't at 12. I will try and find outsad

cheesesarnie Fri 27-Aug-10 23:18:47

it is good that you are alerting other parents to a not so nice website.i think it was the way your op was worded.is your ds going on it again?does he know why you dont like it?

and btw,does it matter how long youve been here?

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:20:46

So what's so special about TripleP. I found out tonight that my son has been on a website where according to him it doesn't matter who or what you are, you can talk to anyone and even indeed webcam them. According to him, if you and the person see each other and they find out you are a child, they disconnect?!!

Are you having a laugh? If I can go on a website, posing as my son etc and prove that some weirdo is trying to look at him/her, then I will do it. If that was your child and you knew that they had been on this kind of dodgdy website, wouldn't you be curious!!

cheesesarnie Fri 27-Aug-10 23:23:05

i would actually.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:23:24

I does matter how long I've been on here because according to MN you have to be "known" and favoured unless you want to be called a troll. I have been here for Custy, Pink Peter, and loads of other stuff. I was JOLLYMUM but changed my name beacuse of difficult personal problems.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:26:00

I'm just Saying, go on it and make me think it's just me being paranoid and just slightly feeling wrong. You can be yourself or do what I did and make up someone close to your kids' age/different gender. It feels wrong and I WANT TO SORT THIS OUT.

SingItBack Fri 27-Aug-10 23:27:08

If you are such a regular, you would know who TripleP was.

You sound very defensive and angry

BertieBotts Fri 27-Aug-10 23:28:18

It's called Omeagle, BTW. HTH.

Yes, there is stuff online that children shouldn't be looking at. FWIW I was going on the yahoo over 18 chat rooms (don't exist any more) at the age of 14 with my friends on sleepovers, we had dodgy guys on webcams, we just laughed - there was no way in hell we'd have given our real names, locations or met up with any of these freaks. To be fair I don't think that we put ourselves on webcam, but still.

But having said that, he's 12! Unless you have really strict net protection, and you obviously don't if you can put anything into google and find dodgy stuff, surely he should be in a family room, not a bedroom, unsupervised, when he looks at the internet?

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 27-Aug-10 23:29:26

Message withdrawn

Housemum Fri 27-Aug-10 23:31:49

hmm

"WTF"? "Scared me shitless"? using "ur" for you're"? Sorry, but for someone just a few years older than me you don't sound like you're nearly 50 - am I barking up the wrong tree or do I hear a bit of trip-trapping on a Friday night here?

MadwoMen Fri 27-Aug-10 23:32:08

Why are you so insistent that we go on this website hmm You've warned us, thank you, we'll make sure we're cautious in future.
Now....time to move along I think

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:35:42

He is in the study. He has a DS 17 on the next desk to him, his Dad is literally right next to him. They're all playing what I call "bang bang " games or his Dad is working. He has to go upstairs at 9pm on school nights(he's 12 in Oct) and then he can read etc. BUT on holiday nights often I will go to bed and tell DH he neeeds to go to bed at about 10ish..if DH is concentrating on work he won't even think of the time. At 4.30am this morning DH was working on a project and TBH wouldn't have even recognised the time. DS4 went to bed at 10.30pm because I heard him.

Housemum Fri 27-Aug-10 23:36:33

OK I hold my hands up and apologise - just searched and seen lots of posts by you. My mistake, but I have had so many scaremongering "warnings" via FB recently that have been made up.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:39:02

Shine and others..I will block it, just wanted everyone to know and not feel like a complete numpty and a total idiot about this. It's nopt a harmless site and I feel sick that my DS was on it.

cheesesarnie Fri 27-Aug-10 23:39:16

no but thats what im saying!it doesnt matter how long youve been on mn(i couldnt care less!).no one called you a troll.

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:40:19

Thank you Housemum. I have beenon MN since infinty and this scared me. I don't get scared easily.....smile

stickyj Fri 27-Aug-10 23:47:49

It depends on which forums TripleP is on, to me I have kinda lost sight of the people I knew and it has all moved on. You can look at people such as Rose, Maud's Mile, Pink Peter, and you'll see how old I am. My children are all nearly teens and I still come onto MN because of the AIBU.

I've been around for over a year and I don't recognise TripleP's name confused It doesn't mean much to not recognise one persons name hmm

Thanks for the warning.

cheesesarnie Fri 27-Aug-10 23:56:50

no idea who triplep is eithergrin!

SingItBack Sat 28-Aug-10 00:08:17

TripleP is Trinity

differentnameforthis Sat 28-Aug-10 00:13:53

If it scared you that shitless, perhaps you will monitor your son better on the internet! He is 11, still a child. You still need to protect him!

Either he can get around your internet protection, or it isn't strong enough.

STOP playing games on a website that 'scares you shitless' (no, I won't go on it to see how bad it is, tbh I don't follow links to that kind of thing) and DO something!

cheesesarnie Sat 28-Aug-10 00:15:48

i have never once heard trinity refered to as triplep.i am a slacker

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:24:47

I am not fucking playing games, I thought it would be interesting to see how much I could talk about as if i was a teen. My ds 17 has come home and now sorted out the safety levels on the computer. MN is not allowed apperenty! He has had to put the password in.
I just wanted the world to know that I didn't know about this site and I have four teens. I am not a crap mum and am not a troll.

I hope you all are really aware of what your kids are watching/talking about. My sister's kids are on FB, she thinks that DD is a little unruly because of her having teenage strops and running away. Her DD's are on FB swearig etc all the time but she doesn't police them and doesn't know what they're saying.

Me either, Trinity, maybe you should be TriplePTrinity for a couple of weeks so us slackers catch on grin

SingItBack Sat 28-Aug-10 00:25:48

yes CS, you are. Get with the programme missus

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:26:10

Oh BTW, nearly 12 is not a child, unless you treat him like one and he is your PFB.

SingItBack Sat 28-Aug-10 00:28:00

stickyj chillax, no one said you were a crap mum

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:28:14

Trinity

I would not have liked
to have upset you, I had no idea you had other names!!

Apologies if you had to read this. blush

cheesesarnie Sat 28-Aug-10 00:28:18

damn it.i thought i was getting good.i go get a life and look what happens!i miss important things!never mind ds2 is starting primary school next week so i'll be able to study mn more!

differentnameforthis Sat 28-Aug-10 00:29:52

Pretending to be a child to 'catch someone out' is a game. Stop it.

Block it.
Watch your child on the internet from now on.

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:31:55

Just asked DS 17 to block anything slightly rude. He asked for any example and honest to god, I just thought "Friday, it's bum sex day"blush

He didn't even ask why, just blocked it and went to bed.

My 17ds now thinks I'm weird blush

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:33:07

Different

How old are your kids and do you watch them every minute?

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:34:23

Your kids must be in bed by now. Mine are 20, 17 (the computer geek), 15 and 12

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 00:35:30

According to our computer, you can't even type bum or tits or sex in now

differentnameforthis Sat 28-Aug-10 00:35:38

Her DD's are on FB swearig etc all the time but she doesn't police them and doesn't know what they're saying

Well then, that's her look out. My dd is only 7, so has limited internet time, with me or dh sitting next to her. In years to come, she will be very closely monitored & we will have high internet/pc security.

I don't think anyone called you a troll, nor did they call you a crap parent. They are just pointing out you need stronger internet controls.

And seeing how far you can get what, exactly? Are you trying to get someone to admit they want a meeting/contact/sexual contact with a minor? Because then what will you do?

TBH, you sound angry, rightly so I guess. But the only people you need to be angry at are yourself & your dh. For not monitoring your ds properly!

And getting your older DS to do the internet controls...why don't you learn to do it, then you will know better when it has been 'breeched' as it were.

differentnameforthis Sat 28-Aug-10 00:37:06

nearly 12 is not a child

Really? Not an adult tho,. so what is he?

differentnameforthis Sat 28-Aug-10 00:40:27

7 & 2 & yes.

And will continue to do so (yes, at 12 & beyond) because they are vulnerable & too young to realise the dangers.

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 01:04:37

Really, I will wait with baited breath when you come on here with teen problems. I will wait for you to sit patiently by all your children, every minute of the day when they are on the internet. I was only trying to alert everyone to this particular website and to the fact that I thought we had been careful enough to block what we could and should.

If your kids are little now, they wil learn and quote stuff you won't like in the secondary playgrounds upwards, live with it. I was talking about a website which I was not aware of, and which is now blocked by my computer literate DS17. Are you all aware that my DS17 has blocked MN for being on the "naughty" list and that I have now to get the password off him? There's a big difference between MN and sites that actively encourage your kids aged 12 to talk to strangers. According to the controls you want me to exercise and be a better parent, I now have to ask my DS 17 to put in his password to allow this post.

I have read posts on MN which many people wwould consider innappropriate.

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 01:05:30

12 and too young to consider the dangers, you have no idea.

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 01:08:21

12 yrs old - I know kids that are carers at this age. They are not little kids any more unless they are made that way. My DS will still have a cuddle,the only one of the four of them but he's growing up. At scghool, do you think they treat them like kids anymore? It's a tough worldout there and you can't baby them.

stickyj Sat 28-Aug-10 01:10:27

Am going to bed. No2 ds (17) still up. Will have to get him to write hios password down for me to enable me to go on MN tomorrow, such a bed of iniquity!!

Mumsnet is not for kids. Yes some of the content is inappropriate for kids - duh! hmm

Any site which encourages direct interaction between posters is a danger for children. It's that simple. But you have to sit with them and discuss it and the motivation behind the words so they learn to differentiate between someone who wants to chat about football for example, and something less innocent.

You've been given a bit of a rough ride here - I think MN generally is tough on those who use text speak (because most of us find it intensely irritating).

There is a lot worse on the Internet - and it is shocking if you are not aware of what's out there. I am and few things shock me these days sadly. But that knowledge means I can equip my children to be aware and careful online.

Goblinchild Sat 28-Aug-10 07:45:05

I think you are preaching to the converted OP, and instead of ranting and warning, you should be asking some of the very computer-savvy types fort he best ways of filtering and restricting your son's access to the internet.
I am 50, have teens and was ignorant about the whole interweb and access malarky.
So I learnt.
Now I teach this stuff in school to 11 year olds.
Running around squealing 'OMG! OMG!' is confusing and unhelpful.
Stay calm and get more organised about who is communicating what and where and with whom.

TriplePachyderm Sat 28-Aug-10 08:41:19

thanks to all but you can hacve a go at me if you like I dont mind

I wasn't very nice to yuou

In my opinion you are acting very silly

you do not sound 21 let alone 50

if you have internet in your house and you allow your chidren on it then you should be aware of ho to keep them safe and what kind of shit there is out there

telling us to go on the site is silly too

we dont need to, we already keep our chioldren safe

and pretending to be a child

oh come on, that is purile

and who mentioned the program big brother, thankyou, I'm thinking of allowing dd1 a laptop,sounds like just the thing I need

oh sticky, you asked their ages

10,5 and 3 and they all use the internet

and just a tiny little aside

triple pachyderm is supposed to be easy to work out sad

triple/trinity pachyderm/rhino it was someone else that came up with it (sorry cant remember who)

I'm off to change back grin

SingItBack Sat 28-Aug-10 11:17:57

a friend of mine has just developed this www.SuperviseAndProtect.com

If the link works..............

Aitch Sat 28-Aug-10 11:31:21

only about half way through this thread but why are you all being so horrible to the OP? she's just learned something pretty horrible and is trying to protect you lot from learning the same... <hopes it all turned around but can't be arsed reading all the way through to find out>

Goblinchild Sat 28-Aug-10 12:22:57

If she's unhappy about the site, she should contact the police. They have specialists who pretend to be children online to trap groomers and the like.
If the OP is going to bed before her son, either the father takes some responsibility over monitoring what's going on, or the child comes off the internet.
She's allowed him to have a Facebook account, although he's 11. Even though that resulted in problems, my bet is that he still has an illegal account.
He mentioned this site twice to her, she thought he was making it up and so he must have taken her indifference for agreement that it was acceptable.
He's playing 'bang bang' games, are they age appropriate or is he used to the idea that there is no difference between himself and his 17 YO brother and his dad?
Why not set up different accounts on the computer so that your password protected log in has different security settings to his log in? Then you can have mumsnet and he is safe from bumsex?
It's not us being horrible Aitch, the OP is panicking and clueless about what's possible on the internet. Instead of learning how she can fix the problems, she wants an invasion of a dodgy website by mummies in disguises so we can gawp and be shocked in turn.
We know this crap is out there, we protect or children against it. Some methods are more effective than others.

Aitch Sat 28-Aug-10 12:30:49

i guess that it must be really, really difficult, though, with older teens in the house. i'm only basing this on the tremendous backslide that has taken place here between pfb and nsc, and they're both still under five. wink

differentnameforthis Mon 30-Aug-10 05:11:32

sticky, you are very patronising!

I will wait for you to sit patiently by all your children, every minute of the day when they are on the internet

I already do & will do until I feel my daughters are able to understand the dangers of using sites such as you suggested. I will certainly know what they are looking at, at 12! They don't like it, they don't get internet/pc access!

And I was suggesting that you take control of the pc security (Ie have the passwords etc) and not rely on your older dc. I didn't suggest you ask his permission to post!

You can then undo the block for your duration of internet time & reinstate when you have finished!

Nothing compares to parental supervision. And there are a huge variety of sites out there a lot worse than you have suggested here, so I don't need to take your word for it. I will do what I feel is right for my children & if that is continued internet supervision well into their teens, so be it!

differentnameforthis Mon 30-Aug-10 05:15:32

12 and too young to consider the dangers, you have no idea

Still very much a child. If he isn't aware of the dangers, (as most aren't) he still needs watching online.

I do have an idea, I am around older kids than that who are not aware, hell my sister thinks it's cool to invite all sorts of strangers to be her friend on social networking sites where her address is public, where there are pics of her kids & she is 38!

She should know better, your ds doesn't!

differentnameforthis Mon 30-Aug-10 05:17:08

It's a tough worldout there and you can't baby them.

Checking their internet history, keeping an eye on what they see isn't baby-ing them. It is looking out for their best interests & making sure they don't get into trouble, see what they shouldn't!

annec555 Tue 07-Sep-10 09:09:43

I don't really understand the hysteria about this from the OP. Surely by now everyone knows that there are inappropriate websites and that it is a bad idea to allow children to go on chat sites?
And why push people to put their children on to see what happens? I am pretty sure everyone believes you - they don't need to use their children as guinea pigs to see if anyone takes the bait.
And in relation to pretending to be a child, bad bad idea. The police tend to take a bit of a dim view of this sort of internet vigilantism - they have their own specially trained officers to do this sort of "fishing" and a lot of resources are put into this. People going off on little frolics of their own don't help at all. If something happens and you have a concern then then best thing to do is to take precautions of your own and, if appropriate report it. If everyone took these precautions it would actually make the police's job a lot easier - what won't make it easier is someone with no knowledge about these things getting involved in some sort of entrapment exercise.
And I am a criminal lawyer and have worked on cases of this type so I am not just making this up!

TechLovingDad Sun 12-Sep-10 16:36:36

stickyj, would you let your children wander about the street going into strangers houses with no supervision? Course not. You need to set the pc up somewhere you can all see it, that way you can see what they are accessing.

And you are being over the top in your defence, instead of getting huffy why not take some of the advice that's been given?

Stylo123 Tue 18-Jun-13 23:16:18

I have just found out that my daughter has been using omegle (she told a friend about it and her mum called me) and I'm appalled that a website which actively promotes "talk to strangers" can even operate - I must be really naive but is this not wrong on every level??? I'm well aware of chat rooms and I know that our kids are vulnerable online but really - encouraging them to do the very thing we tell them not to do from the minute they can talk??? How is it not illegal - and who exactly can you report this stuff to? And where do they advertise themselves??

morethanpotatoprints Tue 18-Jun-13 23:23:59

I am sorry but nearly 12 isn't old enough to be unsupervised on internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now