Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Stairgate Help

(20 Posts)
firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:11:36

I need three. Top of stairs, bottom of stairs and living room to kitchen door.

My issue is bottom of stairs. The upright banister starts 3 stairs up so putting a gate across there would still leave quite a height for baby to climb up and fall down from....

There is a smaller piece of wood sloping upwards towards the bannister.

My dad suggested seeing if we can get a diagonal gate going from wall to upright banister to cut off stairs.

This must be a common problem. What did other people do. Help

dementedpixie Sat 15-Oct-16 18:03:58

We didn't have one at the bottom of the stairs and had a gate on the kitchen door instead as it led into the hall where the stairs were.

firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:04:39

My stairs are in my living room.and so is door to kitchen

dementedpixie Sat 15-Oct-16 18:08:29

You can get room dividers that convert to a play pen that might work

Arkay Sat 15-Oct-16 18:10:38

Not sure I've got the right picture in my head of your stairs/bannister....but have you looked at the gates that clip together to make, say, a play pen...I've got a three sided one that I've configured to make a half-hexagonal fire guard. Could something like that be configured to fit around the bottom of the stairs, fencing it off that way?

firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:15:10

It's like this

Birdofathousandvoices Sat 15-Oct-16 18:20:11

Is that the kitchen door next to the stairs? If so I think I'd look at putting something kind of across behind where ur sofa is and then you won't need 2 gates. The babydan configure might work?

dementedpixie Sat 15-Oct-16 18:20:41

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1513864.htm this sort of thing maybe?

Arkay Sat 15-Oct-16 18:21:26

This is what I've got. The bits that attach to the wall are like hinges so you can angle it any way you want. And you can use as many sections as you need. An L shape could work?

LIZS Sat 15-Oct-16 18:26:58

We just put it where bannister starts. At least it gives room to practice.

LIZS Sat 15-Oct-16 18:28:53

Looking at your picture you could box off the bottom at right angles f the door opens into the other room. You'd need the longer screw fixings and it may leave a gap which would be tempting to a lo.

firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 18:51:22

Meant to say don't want screw fix

I'm not very good at imag8n8ng according to suggestions hmm

LAmusic Sat 15-Oct-16 18:54:09

From the picture I'd put the stair gate attached to the end of the bannister so that you have to walk in and go up am I making any sense

LAmusic Sat 15-Oct-16 18:56:37

Where I've drawn this blue line is where I'd place it

firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:19:47

Great idea but don't know if that small bit of wood at bottom of stairs is high enough to attach a stair gate.

Also this isn't my house just a pic of what my house Is like I don't know if the gap would be big enough to get past my sofa and up a stairgate

LIZS Sat 15-Oct-16 19:58:03

Move the sofa over and lose the table! It really won't take long for baby to manage a few steps on his knees and it is carpet below.

LIZS Sat 15-Oct-16 20:01:01

Ah presumably your layout differs a bit!

PberryT Sat 15-Oct-16 20:24:37

Just put it 3 stairs up.

firsttimemum15 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:05:57

It's not the baby I'm worried about. We have furniture at other side that we can't move so can't move sofa too much.

Don't want to put it 3 stairs up would be too worried about an accident happening.

firsttimemum15 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:13:30

La music thanks for suggestion. I think I'm putting a retractable one there. The width is large and O wanted something that looked as neat as possible rather than fixing lots of extensions so hopefully it will wprk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now