Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Coconut oil for hair

(16 Posts)
twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 16:56:24

Would like to know if anyone has used this to treat dry hair. If so how did you use it and what were the results? Thank you

DramaQueenofHighCs Thu 15-Sep-16 17:03:15

I have no experience of this myself, (though have used coconut oil for toothache) but a friend of mine swears by it. She literally scoops it out if the tub and slathers it on her hair. Her hair is beautifully soft and shiny (and smells great) so I think it must work!

leaveittothediva Thu 15-Sep-16 18:07:37

I'm having to use it at the moment due to dry hair/breakage. It's great, I leave on overnight sometimes, other times for a few hours. Just make sure your not going anywhere, because its quite hard to get out. I buy the organic raw kind which is solid, but soon melts over a bowl of boiling water. Then just apply to your hair, massage into scalp, and down along hair, put hair up in shower cap. When ready to take out do not wet hair, get your shampoo and massage it all over like usual, then wet it and wash out. I've been doing this for a while now instead of conditioner. Went to hairdresser last week and no split ends to cut off, which has never happened. So not bad. Hope this helps.

Vixxfacee Thu 15-Sep-16 18:08:28

It's not hard to get out. Just washes out. I use it on my hair everyday as a moisturiser.

Chinks123 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:09:21

I scoop it from the jar (I need to invest in liquid coconut oil!) and literally just coat in it. I leave it on overnight and it leaves it lovely and soft and much less frizzy.

Chinks123 Thu 15-Sep-16 18:09:40

I also love it as a face moisturiser smile

Pigeonpost Thu 15-Sep-16 18:10:29

I really struggled to wash it out of mine. Read somewhere about trying conditioner first but not sure if it was that or the fact this was the 3rd wash! Not sure it did anything for my hair either.

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 15-Sep-16 18:11:46

I tried it, and didn't get on with it.

And I'm not really up for leaving things on overnight - too much of a faff, and potential mess.

twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 18:16:46

Thanks for the replies. I have slathered my hair in it, maybe went a bit ott! Plan to keep it on for a couple of hours then will wash out and see

leaveittothediva Thu 15-Sep-16 18:18:18

Vixxfacee. What's your secret, if I used it on my hair every day, I'd look like a hobo, that hadn't washed her hair for a decade. smile

Vixxfacee Thu 15-Sep-16 19:41:08

Diva how much do you use? And what is your hair type?

wetpebbles Thu 15-Sep-16 19:43:57

I needed to wash 4 times to get it out which led to some breakage so I would use it very sparingly on fine hair

proudmummyoftwo Thu 15-Sep-16 20:11:52

I mix 50% coconut 50% almond oil. Warm them a bit and apply. Wrap in towel and leave for an hour. Double wash after. Always lovely and never greasy. I have lots of fine hair

twinsymom Thu 15-Sep-16 20:37:21

Ok I've rinsed It out and washed my hair but it's really greasy looking sad was really hoping it worked. Maybe I did it wrong?

leaveittothediva Fri 16-Sep-16 12:58:15

I use two tablespoons. My hair type is fine, and it's highlighted.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Sep-16 13:01:07

I've used it for years, saturate the hair and sleep on a towel then in the morning wash buy put the shampoo on first before wetting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now