Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

GHD straighteners. Are they worth it?

(27 Posts)
rainbowstardrops Tue 29-Dec-15 08:26:34

That's it really!

I was chatting to my hairdresser while she was straightening my hair and I asked what was so special about GHDs?

She just said they were and that they're kinder to the hair?

DH is usually a tight bastard very careful with money but agreed that I could look in the sales for some for my birthday present.

I was grin but have since read mixed reviews and some people saying they straighten hair, end of.

I've got Babyliss ones that do that confused

My bubble has kind of been burst a bit. I've always wanted GHDs because everyone was raving about them but now I don't want to spend £100+ if they won't be any better than my cheapo ones.

Can anyone give me their honest opinions if you've used them please? smile

chelsbells Tue 29-Dec-15 09:35:52

I love mine.
I've had 2 in the last maybe 10 years or longer... So they do last!

I find they straighten my hair but leave it really soft and they don't seem to do any heat damage to my hair, since I don't use heat defense spray!

Also great for curling too, so actually two products in one!

If/when my current ones break I wouldn't hesitate to buy new ones! Worth the money imo!

ArgyMargy Tue 29-Dec-15 09:38:51

My first pair of straighteners was ghd and they lasted more than 7 years. My second was babyliss and they lasted less than 4 and were not great towards the end. I now have a pair of corioliss which are even better than ghd grin

BasinHaircut Tue 29-Dec-15 09:41:57

They really are v effective, great if you have hick and unruly hair. But I have thin hair and they make it look lank and lifeless. Cheaper less effective ones are better for me. Mine were £20 and do the job I need them to do. I gave my GHD's away as they were too good!

RJnomore1 Tue 29-Dec-15 09:43:21

They are. I had cheap straighteners as I only use them occasionally and then dh bought me ghds and the difference in speed/effort/effect wa huge.

However can I recommend cloud nines instead? Started by the same person who set up then sold ghd, my (very on the ball) hairdressers now use them and they are supposedly better than the current ghds. I bought did some for Christmas but I haven't had a go yet, however if my hairdresser said get them not ghds she will be right.

lostlalaloopsy Tue 29-Dec-15 09:45:35

I've had my ghd straighteners for over 10 years, and use them everyday for my very thick hair - so definitely value for money!

cowbag1 Tue 29-Dec-15 09:54:06

Something has definitely changed in the newer GHDs, they're no way near as effective as the original ones. My first pair were amazing but when I had to replace them (DH trod on themangry) my new pair don't get through my hair as quickly and the effects don't last as long. I have lots of fine, frizz-prone hair that my old GHDs worked wonders on.

That being said, I wouldn't know what to buy if not GHDs! I've had much cheaper ones in the distant past that have been useless. And they do a good job of curling hair too.

SilverHighlights Tue 29-Dec-15 09:56:31

Yes, definitely.

I've gone through so many cheapo straighteners, and GHDs are the only ones that do the job. They leave my hair reliably straight and silky (I've got corkscrew curls!) and are the only straighteners that have managed to tame my cowlick.

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 29-Dec-15 09:58:40

Agree with pps, the old GHDs were excellent but the newer version is a bit crap. Have heard that the cloud 9s are better.

Claraoswald36 Tue 29-Dec-15 10:00:08

Spendy straightners are worth the cash. There used to be only ghd but worth reading reviews for other brands now.
I have had my current ghds 10.5 years and they are exactly as they were when I bought them but when they pack up I will be straight on trusty mn to get replacement recommendations as 100plus quid is a lot of money!!
FYI I have really thick wavy prone hair and my ghds make it look lovely and flat and shiny in about 5 minutes grin

wonkylegs Tue 29-Dec-15 10:01:57

I love my GHDs (wide ones), work fantastically on my thick frizzy wavy long hair and are now 10yrs old. Previous ones can't remember the make didn't really work very well and broke after a year.

rainbowstardrops Tue 29-Dec-15 10:11:22

Thanks for all the replies! RJ I've heard about Cloud 9's but my hairdresser said she thought GHDs were still better.

I just don't know!!!!

For what it's worth, I have mid-length very fine hair. It's fairly straight but a bit kinky and unruly!

I just don't want to spend silly money and then be really disappointed confused

MummaGiles Tue 29-Dec-15 10:13:39

Yes! I have very curly hair naturally and only ghds will keep it straight.

MummaGiles Tue 29-Dec-15 10:14:07

Oh and my hair is fairly fine too.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 29-Dec-15 10:14:36

No, cloud nine are much better, ghds have changed manufacturer.

AFishInThePercolator Tue 29-Dec-15 10:25:52

I have GHDs and Corioliss, and can completely agree Corioliss are better. Both are awesome though (and expensive).

AFishInThePercolator Tue 29-Dec-15 10:26:26

And I have thick long wavy hair if that helps...

Owllady Tue 29-Dec-15 10:27:46

I've had my ghds for over a decade I imagine, so they've paid for themselves
They are fab smile

rainbowstardrops Tue 29-Dec-15 10:49:51

I think the gist I'm getting from reading reviews etc is that maybe the older GHD were excellent but newer models not quite the same?

chocolatejunkie1 Tue 29-Dec-15 10:53:25

I love mine, I have naturally curly\frizzy hair and my hair stays straight for 2 days now. I've had cheaper ones that make my hair look like a lions mane so thank fuck for GHD's

oneowlgirl Tue 29-Dec-15 10:54:54

I would agree - my original GHDs were fab but they broke a few months ago (after 8 years) & the new ones don't seem as good. They're ok but the older ones definitely made my hair much straighter & sleeker (I have a headful of fine frizzy hair).

FondantFancy66 Tue 29-Dec-15 11:00:46

My 8 year old GHDs are brilliant. However, I'll be looking up some others mentioned here for when they break.

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 29-Dec-15 11:06:08

I've had 3 pairs of ghds over the last decade. Due to finances when my last pair packed up, I got a cheap Remington digital set from Argos (reduced to about £40). Tbh while I prefer the platform of the ghd style as hair doesn't get trapped under the plate, these are just as good as the ghds I've had. My hairdresser recommends fhi straighteners. So when I have the money, these will be relegated to spares/travelling and I'll be buying them. She's had one pair in 10 years, with daily use.

rainbowstardrops Tue 29-Dec-15 11:15:11

Haven't heard of fhi straighteners. Something else to research and confuse me! grin

I've just been reading reviews for Cloud 9 and there's hardly a bad review. It sounds like they're like GHDs used to be???

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

RJnomore1 Tue 29-Dec-15 12:20:10

I'd go with the cloud 9s, I have tremendous confidence in my hairdresser and the company she works for is very reputable, does hair for magazine shoots, t in the park etc so if they've all switched to cloud 9 there will be a good reason.

I haven't heard of fhi though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now