Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Desperately trying to find blue cotton school shirts for eczema ds about to start school - can anyone help?

(17 Posts)
bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 11:18:00

Does anyone know where I could find blue cotton school shirts - have been looking all summer but no luck and I'm getting desperate. The only company I've found is Cotton Comfort/Eczema Clothing but they have told me they've no stock and "won't be getting more in" - ever, apparently! Ds aged 4 can only wear cotton as he's got severe eczema - managed to find him some cotton school trousers but no shirts.

John Lewis and M&S do white ones but not blue - aargh! If anyone has been through this and found somewhere, would be much appreciated smile

Deverethemuzzler Mon 18-Aug-14 11:22:04

Look at the supermarkets. Sometimes their cheap stuff is 100% or high content cotton.

I used to get DS's from supermarkets because I could't afford cotton comforts. I used to get his all-in-ones from there though. They were a blummin' life saver.

If you really cannot find any you might need to talk to the school and explain that DS will be wearing a plain teeshirt in the school colours until you can get some.

I had to do that and school were fine.

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 11:26:43

Thanks, I've tried most of the supermarkets but will check again - the problem is it has to be a proper school shirt, not a polo shirt (ridiculous school uniform policy, includes hats!) and I want him to look the same as everyone else so he doesn't feel self conscious on his first day.

Deverethemuzzler Mon 18-Aug-14 11:36:21

I understand.
He is very young yet though. I think it gets harder as they get older. The school are required to make adjustments to accommodate your son's additional needs.
TBH it is a nightmare getting any uniform at the moment. All the small sizes seem to have gone.

Will he be wearing a sweatshirt? Most of them are 100% cotton and you wouldn't really notice a teehsirt underneath.

I do sympathise. . My DS has severe eczema.

Have you discussed management with the school yet? It was like banging my head against brick wall.

Circle time can be difficult if your son is allergic to dustmites or carpet fibres. I sent a towel in for DS to sit on. That way I could wash it often.
I asked that he was not sat next to radiators or windows.

Once they pulled me aside and asked me 'do you think you can do something about his eczema over the weekend? Its very hard for us to watch him scratching so much' hmm

I sent a pile of information in on the Monday and they never asked me that again grin

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 11:59:16

Unfortunately the school jumper (also regulation!) is hideously synthetic so not much use - I think I'm going to have to speak to the school again, they were pretty good about his nursery uniform but it was easier to find cotton replacements for that. The only other option is a cotton vest underneath, which I've done before, but then that makes him hotter and therefore scratchier - catch 22!

I only realised that carpet time was making him more scratchy at the end of last term - I'm definitely going to send him in with a towel to sit on next term. On the plus side the school has been brilliant at putting cream on him, which I know a lot won't do, and his Reception teacher is willing to do it too - phew!

Theas18 Mon 18-Aug-14 12:10:10

I'm assuming this is a prep not a state school? If it's state i think you need to go down the DDA " reasonable adjustment" route maybe ( you could do with with a prep but they can just set their "laws")

Long sleeved cotton t shirt ( inside out to avoid seams) under the shirt should fix things pretty well ( once the autumn kicks in and it isn't warm any more). He could then also get away with not wearing the jumper as "he'll be too hot"!

addictedtosugar Mon 18-Aug-14 12:32:18

May be a silly suggestion, but could you get white 100% cotton, and dye them?

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 13:05:29

It's actually a state school, believe it or not Theas18 - I didn't know about the 'reasonable adjustment' thing - TBH they've been pretty understanding up to now so fingers crossed that will continue, good to have some govt legislation in my back pocket just in case ...

I think a long sleeved cotton t-shirt sounds like the best bet right now - will just have to hope for nice chilly autumn weather!

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 13:07:26

Hmmm, the dying thing could just work addictedtosugar - haven't tried that since I was at primary school but right now am desperate enough to try anything!

Deverethemuzzler Mon 18-Aug-14 13:25:55

Just to say its not the DDA anymore it is the Equalities Act.
The school sound quite good so far. Hopefully they will be just as understanding as DS goes through school.

If it is any comfort to you my DS still has severe eczema but we have got it to the stage where he has very dry skin but hardly any flare ups.

He was terribly poorly when he was little. I could see no end to it all.

I hate to say it but what made the most difference to my DS was manic housekeeping.
I hoovered twice a day (including beds and underbeds) and damp dusted everywhere every day.

I don't have to do it so much now but if I get too relaxed his skin gets worse. He seems to have the dustiest room in the house though! hmm

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 13:42:11

That's reassuring - hopefully DS will be the same.

I'm coming to a slow realisation that my cleaning is going to have to get better - I think the dust is the thing that affects him the most - he is in a top bunk away from as much as possible, but I am not the world's best housekeeper (massive understatement) - heyho, bring on the hoovering!

Deverethemuzzler Mon 18-Aug-14 14:07:54

I was shocking!

I really had to change my ways. I wish I could tell you it didn't make a difference but it did smile

I use Method cleaning products for dusting and e cloths.

I don't use plug ins or air fresheners.
Got rid of soft furnishings in the bedroom and pulled up the carpets.

I was pretty desperate. He had allergy test at the hospital and he reacted very strongly to environmental factors like pollen and housedust mites.

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 17:07:40

I'm going to have a look at those cleaning products - I don't use air fresheners anyway - anything that helps. Of course at the moment his favourite game is wrapping himself in a blanket and crawling around on the dirtiest carpet in the house, which is really good for his skin ...

He had a strong reaction to house dust too so really need to get my act together - think I was slightly in denial!

Thanks for all your tips - it's lovely to speak to someone who has been in the same situation!smile

Deverethemuzzler Mon 18-Aug-14 17:12:01

You are welcome.

It was such a stressful time and there were so many people willing to give me their 'advice' for curing him hmm grin

Our dermatology nurse is lovely and always gives me credit for DS's improvement and that means such a lot to me.

I hope you track down some shirts for DS and heres hoping that your DS's skin improves flowers

AbbieHoffmansAfro Mon 18-Aug-14 17:19:21

Gap do light blue button=-down Oxford shirts for boys (got DS one for a wedding). They are lovely but not cheap at 14.95. Buy one to tide you over while you look elsewhere, perhaps?

bwmooky Mon 18-Aug-14 17:31:35

Ooh just had a look at Gap - I think that might just do, fab thank you! grin

nickelbabe Mon 18-Aug-14 17:33:58

I ws going to suggest dying it too - you csn dye it usjng a machine dye, and wilko's sells dylon for cotton that you just throw in the machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now