Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

How to buy for a baby on a budget?

(15 Posts)
BethanyC Wed 26-Mar-14 20:20:04

Hi everyone,

I'm new at this so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area or whatnot so please bear with me. I won't bore you with the details but to put it simply a rape resulted in a pregnancy and I find myself at nineteen deciding to keep my baby. I've budgeted it and with money saved for a 'rainy day' I can afford about £800 - £1000 for his first things like everything cot, pram, clothes etc. I was just wondering if anyone had any money saving tips or great sites or just a way to budget for this first big shop. I'd like to avoid second hand if I could?

Thank you x

Bloodyteenagers Wed 26-Mar-14 20:38:21

Kiddicare are usually reasonable priced.
Also check with hukd for daily deals.
Amazon as well can have some very good bargains.
Do you live near Ikea. They do a really, really cheap cot, but it really is good. Works out at less than £100 for mattress and cot.

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 20:43:23

Look for discount / voucher codes - there's a thread on here where people share them.

If buying online sign up for topcashback, quidco and kidstart and go via those websites before placing your order to get cashback.

Buy bundles of clothes on eBay. NCT nearly new sales are good for clothes and other baby stuff too and are open to non-members.

Join all the baby clubs going too:
Boots
Mothercare
Toys / Babies R Us
Tesco
Asda
Sainsburys
Hipp
Cow and Gate
Ella's
Aptamil
Heinz
Emma's Diary

They all send out vouchers.

Also keep in mind that Mothercare and Kiddiecare do price match and offer decent length guarantees on everything you buy from them - 2 years from date of birth. Important re: prams. Not all retailers do this.

All these places do decent baby clothes etc:
Primark
Asda
Tesco
Morrisons
Sainsburys
Peacocks

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 20:45:16

I've just read about the circumstances of your pregnancy. I'm sorry to hear that you were raped. I wish you all the best. Are you getting enough support? x

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 20:48:01

Oh and yes, IKEA cots are great. We got the cheap Gulliver one and it's been great.

You can buy many things second hand for babies but if possible, for safety reasons, you should get a new car seat and a new cot mattress if possible.

Also try your local freecycle email group.

jctall79 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:53:00

look on local Facebook selling sights, they are full of bargains. good luck with everything! thanks

MarrogfromMars Wed 26-Mar-14 20:53:21

Have you any friends or family who could lend or give you big items? I know you said you'd like to avoid second hand but it might feel different perhaps if it's from someone you know and in good condition?

staverton Wed 26-Mar-14 20:59:48

Second hand is great! I bought everything new with my first, but it's a complete waste of money as they re in clothe etc for such a short time that you cn buy second hand things that look new. Nct sales are greAt.

If you are anywhere near oxford /cambridge/london I will happily give you a moses basket and a maxi cosi car seat in great condition

Sorry to her about the circumstances and good luck with the baby

stuckindamiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 21:04:01

With second hand, my personal rule is so long as you can wipe it with Dettol or Milton ( wooden or plastic items) or it's clothes or soft toys that can be machine washed properly clean ( at 60 degrees or with Napisan) then I'll buy it.

jennyl131 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:10:04

brew thanks & deep breath.

Do you have support from friends/relatives who might like to help? Mil insisted on buying cot for dc1 & my parents helped with a travel system. Even if their budgets can't stretch to a big ticket item, they might prefer to contribute towards something you really need rather than a cute outfit.

Nappies, if you're going disposable, buy what you can afford when they're on offer. Same with baby wipes. You'll be amazed how many you go through.

Buy only basic baby clothes to get you started, babies grow so fast and need comfy easy care vests and babygrows (possibly several a day!)

check out your local area to see if there are any nearly new baby gear markets near you. I know you'd prefer to avoid second hand, but no matter what the marketeers say baby doesn't need everything new. I have clothes from dc 3 that still have tags or were only worn once. They'd still be classed as second hand. All of mine have worn hand me downs and used borrowed or second hand equipment, and most people would class us as well off.

Yes to a new mattress (cut cot death risk) but most kit is outgrown so quickly it's barely used. Research new prices for the kind of thing you're after so you know what's a good price.

Alternatively keep an eye out for the supermarket baby events, they often have gems, and remember baby doesn't need everything on day 1, and also that many people get given gifts of clothing/toys after the baby arrives. No matter what the circumstances most people love to buy even something small for a new arrival.

It may not have been your plan to be a mum at this stage in your life, but congratulations and enjoy your new baby cuddles when (s)he arrives.

elQuintoConyo Wed 26-Mar-14 21:13:12

I second Ikea for everything! We got:
Cot plus all bedding (don't get the duvet or pillow)
Changing unit (now repainted and being used as a bookcase!)
High chair - the best thing on the market, imho
Loads of bibs etc, plastic cups and spoons for weaning

We also bought most of the 0-3 and 3-6 month clothes from Primark - they washed well and stretched slightly as our son grew, so 3 months stuff still fitted at 5 months, whereas stuff given to us from Next didn't (ds was huge!).

We are abroad and there's no second hand industry here, much to my disappointment.

Best of luck and warm wishes thanks

IsabellaRockerfeller Wed 26-Mar-14 21:25:20

£800-£1000 is absolutely loads for babies first things. We spent way less than that and still had too much stuff!

Second hand clothes are great because babies grow so fast they are out of their clothes before you know it so the stuff tends to be in great condition. I got loads from car boot sales, NCT nearly new sales and ebay.

For basics like vests and sleepsuits, the supermarkets do multi-packs.

The pram, sling and cot I got off eBay. Make sure you get a brand new mattress though (kiddicare is cheap).

I chose to breast feed so no spend on bottles, steriliser, formula etc.

Nappies, I used the supermarket own brand ones and they were as good as pampers etc. Basic range for cotton wool, wipes etc.

Wishing you all the very best for your pregnancy and the safe arrival of your baby.

I have the Ikea cot that was about �30, It's still going strong on DS who is now nearly 2 and a bit over 2 stone... Kiddicare is excellent for things like car seats. I know you don't want second hand, but do consider it for a pram/pushchair and also a sling (was a life saver for me), good ones can be bloody expensive and are often sold on hardly used. Plain white (so you can bleach the shit out) supermarket clothes will do thejib perfectly. Realistically, you need a way if transporting baby, something to dress it in, somewhere for it to sleep and a means if feeding it. Everything else is just nice to have and depends on your budget after essentials are bought. Do stock up on wipes and a few packets if nappies though. I get huggies pure wipes from amazon, almost the same price a supermarket own brands, but delivered to my front door in bulk. Try and save a bit for takeaways for you for the first week or so after birth!

I am so sorry to hear about the circumstances around your baby's conception, but wish the two of you all the luck in the world!

PurplePidjin Wed 26-Mar-14 22:15:17

The only things that absolutely must be new, imo, are car seats and mattresses.

Look on facebook for nearly new sales, facebay <your town> etc. Get in touch with your local Children's Centre - ours has a table of 2nd hand clothes and toys as well as support groups for younger parents.

Good luck thanks

vichill Thu 27-Mar-14 16:09:58

I wouldn't shun second hand either.
I wasn't too keen on the idea before dd was born but after my mum kept producing immaculate stuff next, boden, Laura Ashley charity shop hauls I soon changed my mind.
primark and supermarkets are great for sleep suits. don't waste money on newborn sizes or pretty dresses with matching tights and bolero etc. They will be more comfortable and easier to change in leggings and baby gros.

good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now