Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

e-reader or tablet (and which one??) or both?

(8 Posts)
elfycat Sat 14-Sep-13 14:32:52

I have an elderly laptop that may survive my OU study and creative writing tendencies if I limit its use and stop it being knocked on the floor yet again by DDs

DH has stolen my Kindle pointing out that I don't have time or inclination to read at the moment with my study. I'm taking Literature and apparently it can take some time to want to read a book afterwards.

So we've decided I could try our first household tablet but I have no idea which to pick. It will be used for:

Browsing the internet and Mnetting.
Playing FB games (sorry).
Checking emails and occasionally replying.
Limited amounts of word-processing.
Watching films from an external hard drive.
Eventually plan to read lots of books on it.

I will not need 3G or similar as I'll be purely wifi on this.

One concern I have is that I have heard that tablets are uncomfortable to read for a length of time due to the back lighting. I'm imagining a future where I settle in with a book for hours at a time once DDs are both at school.

Battery life is not too much of an issue as it will mainly be used at home.

So, oh wise citizens of MN, please may I have your advice and experiences.

goforthejobular Sat 14-Sep-13 14:37:25

Tablets are no good for email replying or word processing or reading.

I would get another kindle and a small laptop. Any small laptop or net book will do you. A MacBook Air, if you can afford it.

goforthejobular Sat 14-Sep-13 14:38:52

(And I have an ipad mini. It's great for Internet browsing and game playing. I use a laptop for typing and first gen kindle for reading. They all have their place!)

DameDeepRedBetty Sat 14-Sep-13 14:45:14

DH might have a fair point about not wanting to read a book for pleasure EVER EVER again after a degree. It took me five years after graduating to actually read historical non-fiction, I was even twitchy about biographies if they were of someone who I'd had to write an essay about.

Kindles and e-readers aren't very good for study reading, very hard to move about and you can't stick post-its to useful pages eg the one with the map.

nickelbabe Sat 14-Sep-13 14:47:01

you do need a book or laptop type of thing for what you need.

you can get ereaders that don't have the backlighting, like the nook or the sony reader or the kobo

nickelbabe Sat 14-Sep-13 14:47:33

most e-readers have a way you can bookmark pages, though

elfycat Sat 14-Sep-13 14:56:21

It's not study reading. More Terry Pratchett and fantasy books for light relief from the sometimes dire OU reading list. I do like my escapism to really escape from reality.

For study I have real books (and post it tabs). I will still have Old Reliable for word processing and would just like to be able to make some notes if things occur to me while out. At the moment I try to carry paper notebooks and a pen, but DD1 is going through a notebook loving phase and steals them.

My main usage are browsing and FB games. I'd like to be able to download some films for the kids if we go away for a weekend.

elfycat Sat 14-Sep-13 15:01:34

I should add I'm generally at home all day (SAHM and student) and this is the plan for the next 2 years until DD2 starts school. So it's more about ease of use, occasional use in coffee shops away from home, hide-from-child-ability while doing day to day stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now