Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

thermal containers that actually keep food hot??

(11 Posts)
bundaberg Fri 13-Sep-13 16:19:29

looking for some containers for the children to take a hot lunch to school in now and then
i liked the aladdin bento boxes but the reviews on amazon were not great!

needs to keep food warm until lunchtime obv, although I'll put it in as hot as poss and it doesn't matter if it's cooled a bit.

needs to be easy for a small child to open, but also spillproof. would be great to have 2 separate compartments, but not the end of the world if it doesn't.

any suggestions???

I found if you put boiling water from the kettle in first to heat up the container and then pour it out before adding the hot food that it stays hotter longer.

gastrognome Fri 13-Sep-13 17:11:06

I use one of these Thermos food jars. Use it for pasta, soup, noodles, occasional baked potatoes, pizza slices, etc.

bundaberg Fri 13-Sep-13 17:15:01

thanks for the tip squinkies smile

gastrognome, you can fit a baked potato in? fab grin some of the ones I looked at seemed to have quite a narrow opening, would be good to be able to fit some "bigger" food in rather thanjust soup and stuff. will add that one to my shortlist

impecuniousmarmoset Fri 13-Sep-13 17:19:35

Will read reply with interest! Definitely don't buy an Aladdin box, even with the boiling water trick it is at best lukewarm by lunchtime.

impecuniousmarmoset Fri 13-Sep-13 17:19:53

*replies

gastrognome Fri 13-Sep-13 17:33:19

Yes the neck is wide enough for a potato. I usually wrap in foil too though. Should say that overall the thermos is not huge, holds enough for a decent sized child's portion but would be too small for an adult.

bundaberg Fri 13-Sep-13 18:00:27

Thanks, the size should be fine, its just for the kids :-)

impecuniousmarmoset Fri 13-Sep-13 21:41:57

Bundaberg I think you must have less hungry children than megrin. We ordered that thermos one from amazon but it looked too small to me so I sent it back.

bundaberg Fri 13-Sep-13 21:47:33

well i figure they'll have a pot of hot stuff, plus some fruit and a yoghurt... i'm sure they'll get by lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now