Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Hair dryers suitable for babies?

(11 Posts)
TWavre Tue 20-Aug-13 10:28:29

Hi all!
I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of advice on which hair dryer is best to use on newborns/babies in general? The one I have is way too hot & doesn't have a cool setting so I am looking to get another one.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

chickensaladagain Tue 20-Aug-13 10:32:04

Just towel dry

It drys quickly, you really don't need a hair dryer

Suzieismyname Tue 20-Aug-13 10:39:40

My 2.6 yr old DD2 has chin length curly hair and that's dry within 10 mins. You honestly don't need one.

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-13 10:42:24

Why would you want to use a hair dryer on a baby?

LittleBearPad Tue 20-Aug-13 10:46:09

Why do you need a hair dryer for a baby shock confused.

You aren't blow drying their bum are you?

Chopsypie Tue 20-Aug-13 10:46:14

I use mine, but hold it quite far away. I didn't need it for a newborn though, mine are older

TWavre Tue 20-Aug-13 10:49:45

Thanks for the advice all smile
My NCT lady advised us all getting one & using it fairly far away from them as part of getting them settled for bed, I think it's as much for the white noise as for anything else.

LittleBearPad Tue 20-Aug-13 10:55:29

Really!! She sounds a bit loopy.

I've heard of using them for white noise (in which case yours will be fine). But I can't imagine blowing hot air on a baby (no matter how far away) will help them sleep confused.

RubyrooUK Tue 20-Aug-13 13:07:16

Much easier and safer than blowing hot air on a baby is to buy a white noise CD and download the soundtrack from iTunes. There are ones that have different tracks: hairdryer, washing machine, tumble dryer etc

White noise was invaluable for settling DS1 when he had colic. DS2 never needed it or showed any interest. But I would probably look into the CD/download rather than use an actual hairdryer near a baby. Both children found the air blowing on them a bit alarming when they were small.

KatoPotato Tue 20-Aug-13 13:10:48

I instantly pictured a baby under one of those vertical dryers at the hairdressers... reading Take a Break...

Atavistic Tue 20-Aug-13 13:16:57

Have you had your baby yet? They might sleep just fine, without any such crutches.
What's that expression again? Oh yeah, they might sleep" like a baby". wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now