Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Sterilisers - cold water or electric?

(24 Posts)
mrsbev Wed 24-Jul-13 15:24:42

I am trying to decide whether to go for a steam steriliser or a cold water system (like Milton) for sterilising bottles/breast pump parts and wondered if anyone had any advice? I am a first time mum and don't really have a clue smile

Wereonourway Wed 24-Jul-13 15:30:07

I used a Milton steriliser after having one in nicu.

Used it for pump and bottles and then bottles. Loved it, so easy and convenient. I recommend one to my bf who is now using it for her baby ds

Shenanagins Wed 24-Jul-13 15:33:10

I use a steam one. Did use the tablets whilst on holiday and really did not like the chemical smell that came off them.

mrsbev Wed 24-Jul-13 15:49:45

Thanks for the advice - seems like there are pros and cons for both methods! Am leaning towards cold water sterilising just from a cost point of view but can see why a steam steriliser would be good too....

FairyThunderthighs Wed 24-Jul-13 15:57:31

Electric steam ones are prone to rusting and perishing of the heat element. Most manufacturers will not do a return on this basis either. Tommee Tippee told me it was down to me not cleaning it or descaling it properly. I've read of various other people having similar problems. Next time I'm going for cold water or microwave!

ResNulis Wed 24-Jul-13 16:00:56

Used cold water for mine, but arrival of DGS introduced me to electric sterilisers ...and IMO they are simply so much more convenient......if for speed alone.

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 16:11:43

I tried a cold water one and ditched it after about a week of trying to ensure no bubbles were in the bottles.

I got a steam one which was easy and quick!

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 16:12:22

I used to descale mine with a little packet of something...

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 24-Jul-13 16:44:53

I had a microwave one with ds1 and 2 but have got a Milton cold water one this time and its much easier just put everything in and it's ready when you need it.

fusspot66 Wed 24-Jul-13 16:50:01

My hv & midwife said hot soapy water or hot cycle in dishwasher is fine and no need to sterilise (2006 & 2010). What a relief as I was run ragged with BF expressing and prepping bottles. Before you know it they're licking the carpet anyway!

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 16:53:27

Yeah if I'd had Dishwasher I wouldn't have used one at all.

wallpaperaddict Wed 24-Jul-13 17:07:12

I used cold water for DS and steam for DD. I personally preferred steam, no nasty chemical smell, quick and easy. I did have to Descale mine once a month, took 30 mins and the Descaler was cheap enough from boots.

mrsbev Wed 24-Jul-13 17:30:50

Unfortunately we don't have a dishwasher sad Any particular brands of steam steriliser people would recommend or avoid?

MumnGran Wed 24-Jul-13 17:39:31

I can vouch for the ease of this one
Even an idiot grandmother can work it one handed, and the cycle is very fast

fusspot66 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:03:01

Sorry if not clear, bottles, teats & pump bits can be hand washed in hot soapy water. Rinse with kettle water if it makes you feel safer. There are draining racks for baby bottles available too. You have to wash them before you sterilise anyway.

mrsbev Thu 25-Jul-13 13:41:29

Thanks for all the advice, very useful smile

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 13:50:21

Many years ago now but I had an avent one iirc.

YoniMontana Thu 25-Jul-13 13:52:58

I used an Avent microwave one and stored it in the microwave with bottles in which saved space. I used a cold water one with ds1 but like others have said, didn't like the chemical smell.

ValiumQueen Thu 25-Jul-13 14:11:01

I also recommend a microwave steam one. Have used the same one for all three kids.

Trampoline Thu 25-Jul-13 14:17:00

I swear by the microwave ones - they are cheap and quick and so easy to use (as long as you have a microwave!) We bought an expensive steam one before first baby was born (mistake) and switched to a hand-me-down microwave one as soon as we realised how cumbersome the steam one was. It recently went to a good home on freecycle. Don't waste your money on one!

InsanelyBrainDeprived Thu 25-Jul-13 14:18:32

Microwave here too! Steam ones kept breaking and are bulky on work surfaces.

mrsannekins Thu 25-Jul-13 14:19:03

I started out using the cold water method, but then DH bought me the avent steam one. But I found it so much more of a faff, and went back to my trusty milton bucket, that I could just chuck everything in and not worry about it for 24 hours. The smell didn't bother me, and they use the same method at nursery.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Jul-13 14:23:03

The smell of the Milton bleachy stuff really put me of, ick!

CointreauVersial Thu 25-Jul-13 14:24:37

Microwave.

Cheap and easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now