Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

TENS machine and your opinions...

(8 Posts)
firsttimemum12 Wed 22-May-13 09:20:52

So first post and first baby, and just hoping to get more of insight to pretty much everything. I've been reading through a lot of information on MN and baby centre, but thought it'd be best to talk to you guys.
Is it worth investing in/borrowing a TENS machine for early stages of labour?

As its my first I think I've been freaking myself out of what's to come and if I can cope with it. I'm very anxious to say the least blush

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.
Thank you grin

Doretaball Wed 22-May-13 10:37:39

I borrowed one for my first. I'm not sure whether it helped with the pain but it definitely gave me something to focus on in the early stages, for which I was very grateful!

Did become a bit attached to it though so caused a row or two with DP when I wanted a shower but didn't want to take it off!!!

I didn't bother with DD2, not sure why not.

Doretaball Wed 22-May-13 10:41:04

Also one more thing, try not to freak out about the labour. People only tell you the bad stuff, loads of women have very straightforward labours. Whatever happens, will happen and you'll be able to deal with it.

I wish someone had told me not to be scared, yes it is very painful totally hideous but somehow it's manageable!

Good luck

firsttimemum12 Fri 24-May-13 10:36:40

Thanks for getting back to me. Could. Be a good distraction from the early stages of pain, I've still got time to decide. I suffer from back pains anyway, not all the time but occasionally and when they do happen, sometimes it'll get to the extent of having me in tears. confused

I think all the real worrying will come closer to the due date! But I'll try not to think about it for now, if its somehow manageable I'm sure everything will be alright

PodeTheBogeySlayer Sat 06-Jul-13 13:41:10

Sorry, bit of a late reply so not sure whether still relevant. I bought a tens machine from Boots for my first and I thought it was brilliant. Again, could just have been a distraction from the pain but it worked for me. I was petrified of the whole idea of having an epidural and being paralysed from the waist down!!

The second time I used it again (bought replacement pads through Amazon) but didn't get it on til a lot later into my contractions and found it didn't work as well. Could've been that or because I was tired (contractions started 8.30pm, put it on around 11 o'clock and had been up since 5.30 with toddler!) I wasn't really using it correctly. Also I was waiting to find out if the birthing pool would be available in time (luckily it was) because I really wanted a water birth.

I'm not in any way an earth mother or anything like that, I just wanted to do it as naturally as possible to see if I could. Good luck xx

Hidingmysmile Fri 19-Jul-13 14:54:51

Hello, definitely hire one it's really helpful. Also get a birthing ball and Margaret Howells natal hypnotherapy CD. Haven't got time to write properly now. Pm me if you want any more info!

Hidingmysmile Fri 19-Jul-13 14:55:27

Hello, definitely hire one it's really helpful. Also get a birthing ball and Margaret Howells natal hypnotherapy CD. Haven't got time to write properly now. Pm me if you want any more info!

Hidingmysmile Fri 19-Jul-13 14:55:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now