Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Early potty training

(11 Posts)
Cloudmummy Sun 07-Apr-13 21:36:23

I'm starting early potty training with my daughter who is 10 months. Any advice on the best small potties out there? Most seem aimed at 2-3 year old big bottoms!

HubbaHubbaHubbaInHoobLand Sun 07-Apr-13 21:39:46

blimey thats very early!!!!!

Mosschops30 Sun 07-Apr-13 21:42:17

I've got some advice

WAIT!!!

10 months!

Anyway - the 99p store does small potties.

Tigresswoods Sun 07-Apr-13 21:43:40

grin

abbyfromoz Sun 07-Apr-13 21:44:02

Don't go for a potty. She will pick it up and drag it around like a toy. You don't want that association. Get a toilet seat with a fitted child seat if you are really keen on starting so early. Are you using elimination communication? Not the same as potty training as 10 months is very very young to attempt potty training but wish you all the best.

cleanandclothed Sun 07-Apr-13 21:45:24

It's really tricky isn't it? I use the potty with mine v early (5 months onwards) but borrowed the potty my mum used with me when I think it was a bit more common to use the potty earlier ( I wouldn't say train as my first wasn't nappy free until 22 months, just using the potty quite a lot as well as nappies ). We have an ikea one but it is a bit big for my 9 month old. I think I noticed tesco seem to do a lowish one?

ReallyTired Sun 07-Apr-13 21:52:13

There are various threads on elimination communication (EC) across mumsnet.

We attempted EC with dd from about six months. I found that up to a year there is a voiding reflect. If you put your baby on the potty after a meal or waking from a nap then you stand a strong chance of catching something. It was nice to avoid the pooy nappies, but it is not potty training in the conventional sense. It was more of an alternative way of dealing with baby waste than potty training. A child needs to be able talk, and give warning of the inpending puddle to be truely potty trained.

We used a 99p potty from Wilkensons. I agree that most the potty on sale are gianormous.

I think that introducing a child to the potty takes the fear factor out of the potty. Using the potty becomes a natural part ofl life. However dd was not especially young by the time we had completely ditched the nappies. DD was out of nappies, both day and night at 2 years and 7 months.

Beehatch Sun 07-Apr-13 21:53:04

Nothing wrong with giving it a go! We also started at about the same age, with success. What I did find though with my little ones is that the small potties are actually quite uncomfortable and they didn't like sitting on them for long. We moved on to a 3 in 1 one, which is a convertible potty step with a removable seat that can also be used as a trainer seat on the loo, like this one. They would happily sit on it at nappy change time with a small toy or book to look at, and very soon got the idea of what it was for.

Cloudmummy Mon 08-Apr-13 08:19:20

Yes, we're doing EC, but since most people don't know what that is I thought easier to say PT. Thanks or the tips on potties. We started at 9 months with a toilet trainer seat but I just feel nervous all the time that she will fall off, even though I sit there with her. She's such a wriggler and I can't take my eye off her for even a nanosecond! That's why I'm looking for a potty now, so i can be more relaxed about it.

vess Fri 19-Apr-13 10:24:26

I used a potty from about 7-8 months with DD1, but I can't remember the brand - just remember it had a wide base, and the seat was wide, curved and seemed comfortable.
It's more 'potty conditioning' than potty training at that age, but it worked well, because she got used to it. Basically, you are forming a habit. It's not very different from putting her in a high chair to eat or in a car seat to travel in the car.
DD1 did a poo on it in the morning after her milk (sometimes just a wee), and sometimes in the afternoon too, but was otherwise in nappies. Then, from about 13-14 months, we did lots of nappy-free time at home, and she would just go to the potty if she needed it. Out of daytime nappies at 19 months - had to really watch her the first month and take her to the toilet every half hour just in case; after that, she became quite reliable. All in all, well worth the effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now