Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). It's not for buying and selling other products. If you do want to buy or sell, use our For Sale/Wanted board, which has its very own Other items section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Backpacks for 5 year olds

(7 Posts)
Londonista Mon 18-Feb-13 14:37:29

Whenever we go on a long trip (e.g. flight to Oz), my son always takes his Trunki, and loves it. Now he is too big to ride on it, and is a bit sad about giving it to his little brother, so I wanted to get him a cool new backpack or wheelie bag that he can use on the flight. Any suggestions? What is everyone's experience with a 5 year old and a wheelie onflight bag - will I end up carrying it?

lljkk Netherlands Mon 18-Feb-13 14:50:28

I would expect to carry it (that is ime), which means the wheels are just extra weight, bulk & nuisance.

I think at 5yo I'd be still expect toddler size backpacks. They will wear it a bit.

Londonista Mon 18-Feb-13 14:58:15

Thanks, he is pretty good with a backpack, they still slip off his shoulders a bit, so recommendations for ones people like would be good.

I agree, even tho my son is quite responsible (for a 5 year old!), I suspect I will end up carrying a wheelie case or retrieving it from the middle of the concourse where he has abandoned it.

DD has been taking a small wheelie bag (cheapish one my DM bought her from Sainsburys) as carry on baggage since she was 4 or 5. It's big enough to hold essential cuddly toys, books, change of clothes for flight - and she wheels it most of the time (through airport, etc). It tends to end up on the trolley with the checked baggage once picked up (so that I can keep hold of her more easily) and DH or I will carry it down the 'plane so that DD doesn't run over too many toes but still worthwhile, and she loves it lots.

Couldn't he keep his Trunki and just pull it instead of being pulled on it, though (and get DS2 a different Trunki) confused?

Londonista Mon 18-Feb-13 15:06:46

Yes, 2nd trunki a definite option. He loves it so much, he might just be a bit sad not to be able to ride on it like his little bro. I don't mind getting a second one, even though I think my big boy will probably grow out of his soon. He loves packing it for sleepovers and trips.

I definitely vote for letting him keep the Trunki. He can be a "big boy" and pull Trunki himself, but it will still give him somewhere to sit when waiting around. My DC were a bit too big to ride on them by the time I discovered Trunkis, so I couldn't justify getting them even though I think they are gorgeous sad.

Londonista Mon 18-Feb-13 15:23:14

Yes, hadn't thought about the instant seating possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now