Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). It's not for buying and selling other products. If you do want to buy or sell, use our For Sale/Wanted board, which has its very own Other items section. If you see buying and selling in this topic, please feel free to report it. Thanks, MNHQ.

Microwave steriliser for a smaller than average microwave

(13 Posts)
Heavywheezing Thu 13-Dec-12 21:28:42

Please be careful with the bags, especially with a newborn, they have to be closed completely to e sterile and past experience , although not with a newborn was not good with them

CelticPromise Thu 13-Dec-12 19:15:23

Get some Milton and a plastic tub. It will tide you over at least, and you might find it more convenient.

MistressIggi Thu 13-Dec-12 19:03:35

Actually might have been Boots.
Ebay worth a look? Still postage, but would be cheaper to start with.

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Thu 13-Dec-12 15:29:21

Thanks, I think that would work too - the dimensions I posted are what it has to go through to get into the microwave - there's a bit more space past the door. I looked at that one but couldn't find it with free delivery (it's not available on Amazon at the moment as far as I can see) and I'm not getting into town at the moment.

MistressIggi Thu 13-Dec-12 10:09:04

25x20x12 are the dimensions of my Nuby travel steriliser. Think I got it off Amazon. My microwave is small too, but not that small - not sure if it would turn around properly for you?

MistressIggi Wed 12-Dec-12 22:57:21

Am posting to remind myself to go and measure steriliser in the morning! Mine is a rectangular one that I got because it's small - the bottles lie down in it so height not too bad. Will post again. Big enough for one or two bottles and a breast pump at a time.

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Wed 12-Dec-12 22:50:16

Thanks, I've ordered some of those bags online, I hadn't heard of them but there are quite a few brands available. I can always look for something bigger later on (or use what I have as a cold water steriliser) if I end up bottle feeding.

Yeah those bags are from Lindam, I think boots has some called munchkin bags or something. They are reusable 20 times, not 50, and you can fit two bottles in (although I seem to remember struggling a bit as we used those big wide bottles, closer to nature from tommee tippee or something) hth

I haven't sterilised anything for two years but we used to use travel steriliser bags. They are like jiffy/ziplock bags which you pop a bit of water into, then your bottle, dummies whatever. Each one lasts about 50 uses (If I remember correctly... Hmm it may be fewer) they're probably made by Lindam or something, I'll have a google.

Only downside is that they aren't great when you are first bottlefeeding as they go through so many bottles a day! That's the advantage of a big steriliser, you can bung loads of bottles in every time.

You can sterilise things using cold water and Milton fluid too.

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Mon 10-Dec-12 11:09:44

Thanks. I don' really have room in my tiny kitchen for an electric steriliser, but I'll look for a travel one. It's annoying as I never realised it was such a small microwave when I bought it, just thought it was good value!

Heavywheezing Mon 10-Dec-12 10:57:56

You might need to look at a travel steriliser or buy an electric one that plugs in.

Mothercare do bottles that are self sterillzing if that makes sense, the cap turns upside down which were great for being out and about

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Mon 10-Dec-12 10:54:50

The internal dimensions are 26x26x16cm. The problem with the TT steriliser is its height.

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Sun 09-Dec-12 23:22:49

I'm expecting (hoping!) to go into labour any day now and have just realised that the Tommee Tippee steriliser I was given doesn't fit in my microwave, which is slightly smaller than most. (It just fits in but only if I remove the turntable, which doesn't seem like the best idea).

So I was hoping there might be someone else around who has a small microwave and can recommend one that's more likely to fit inside? It's hard to go by dimensions because most websites just tell you the dimensions of the box it comes in, rather than the actual product.

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now