Note: This topic is for discussing other products (that don't have their own sub-topic). If you do want to buy or sell, use our For sale section.

Advice about my new mattress

(7 Posts)
Isandri Mon 29-Oct-12 19:36:24

I second tempur. I have their very hard mattress and topper. Its called relaxation continental and included the bed as well. Only problem is um not sure if they sell that combination with the hard mattress in the uk,(I'm in Denmark). We bought it after my tall husband had a bad prolapse in his back and combined with physio it got him walking again. he only has back problems now if he sleeps on a different bed.

Kai63 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:20:41

An update for you. For a little while our backs did actually get better but then they got really bad! 6 months later, JL are going to take our mattress back. Their sales teams seem insistent that softer mattresses provide the support that most people need but judging by the response here, I don't think that's the case at all. The pre-sale service from JL has been fantastic but I wouldn't trust them to recommend the right bed to me again.

Portymum Mon 13-Aug-12 16:28:01

We got a mattress from John Lewis that was similar to those above. After 6 months of it getting worse and worse JL are taking it back and we're going for a firm one instead. Medium was rediculously soft and back pain was getting silly. JL didn't hesitate to swap over saying it must be faulty though there was a little flafing about the manufacturer having to come to check it, but on challenging this we were able to go ahead.
Reading the comments here helped give me the confidence to return it even after 6 months.

Jessyc Mon 21-May-12 16:26:14

Hi there, I got my mattress from John Lewis also, for some reason I just couldn't get comfortable. A friend of mine recommended a memory foam mattress, I was dubious at first but I actually slept in one when I went on holiday to Spain. After I had tried it I was quite surprised. I bought mine for less than £200 for a double. Try www.memorysleep.co.uk I was very happy with their service.

sasbo Fri 27-Apr-12 20:46:05

Hi there, I also bought the same John Lewis natural collection mattress (3000 spring version) and have the same problem! I bought the 'medium support' but it's way too soft. I wake up with pain in my lower back every morning. I've had it a week now but I really don't like it. I was about to buy the firm when the sales assistant persuaded me to buy the medium. I have the option to send it back too. Was wondering what you did and if you swapped it or got used to it? Did your back pain go? Thanks!

Pacita Fri 13-Apr-12 11:52:40

I have recently changed to tempur and would never go back. It's amazingly comfortable and my back pain is miles better.

Kai63 Fri 13-Apr-12 11:33:23

We recently bought a new mattress from John Lewis (the Natural Collection pocket spring mattress with 1450 springs). We use it on a new sprung divan base.

It's advertised as medium support but it doesn't feel it at all. We've had it for four weeks and turned it as required but I wake up with lower back pain every morning and it just feels too soft.

We were advised to get a medium support mattress as both my partner and I are tall but slim build and relatively young.

My question is will we get used to it over time? We have the option of returning it but I'm not sure whether we need to give it more time. We are both used to sleeping on medium support mattresses but they have been cheap rental property ones (and still felt firmer than this one does).

Is it better to go for a small independent retailer and if so, what type of pocket spring mattress should we go for?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now