Who'd like to join me in a supermarket checkout experiment?

(282 Posts)

Anyone?

It's quite fum...

I've just caught up with this thread, I love it! Have been to sainsburys today before reading but will defo try it next time grin
I sometimes put the divider at the end but not on the conveyor belt so some people avoid the checkout as they think it's closing <<evil cackle>>

ThisBitchIsResting Mon 12-May-14 15:52:19

I am so doing this is Tesco later.

CakeyCakeyCakey Mon 12-May-14 16:25:29

Im taking mil shopping on Wednesday, I could do with a bit of light relief!
The best thing I like is when she's in her wheelchair and you push her round but then when she wants to look at something she gets out and walks (she has severe fibromyalgia and has had ops on both feet so can stand and walk but not far) sometimes I just watch bemused faces but if I'm feeling really silly when she stands up and takes a step I drop to my knees (gently, I'm not too mobile either) and throw my hands in the air shouting "praise The Lord it's a miracle!"
She thinks I'm nuts...

Once when ds was little, maybe 7months, I took him shopping and he liked to holding or two little bits of the shopping on the way round, he didn't care what they were or mess with them he just liked to hold it, little baby ds travelling round tesco in the trolley carrying a 36pack of condoms and a miniature bottle of brandy got some brilliant looks!

cakey I like your style grin
DH once put a tube of anusol in a ladies shopping basket, I told him he was being childish but made me secretly chuckle smile

Oldraver Mon 12-May-14 18:35:18

t3rr3gl35...brilliant......I'm wondering if I dare leave all the shopping in the basket in Aldi...

I forgot to do this as we OH went to the single basket queue in Waitrose...at least there was no bad language

Dragonlette Mon 12-May-14 19:03:03

I did this in morrisons yesterday. Dd2, aged 4 turned it round, so I put it longways again, she turned it back to normal, I put it longways, she turned it normal. She looked me right in the eyes and told me firmly "don't do it again!" grin

I may need to try it when I'm on my own, it obviously frazzled her little brain grin

ohmymimi Mon 12-May-14 19:34:40

Oh, I don't think I can. I'm an obsessively neat conveyor belt packer, plus everything has to be grouped in its appropriate category (i.e. frozen, cleaning/laundry etc.) for ease of bagging up. Woe betide the Checkout Op. who puts stuff through out of order and messes with my system. angry. Not that I'm a control freak or anything

MyFirstName Mon 12-May-14 21:12:56

I did it in Sainsburys today...but gah! It was the quietest I have ever seen it. Even went to the basket queue...which was the longest....but no-one came up behind me. The checkout lady very carefully put it round the "right" way once she had scanned my items.

I shall try again next time grin

craftysewer Mon 12-May-14 23:27:33

Dragonlette, that's priceless!

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:31:11

Ok, I feel compelled to give this a go. On wednesday. When I go shopping next.

Ooh, Brian, that's weird.

I had you down as younger than that.

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:46:03

Younger than that? What DO you mean young lady?

Shopping on Wednesdays.

That's what retired people do imvvle.

So, I extrapolated...

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:50:41

Oh I know. Actually I go shopping on Sundays and Wednesdays. Every week. Ha! I am old!

Back just in time for Antiques Roadshow?

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:52:12

But not retired. Not yet. I have a few years left. About 20. wink

And a nice cup of tea...

Ooh, lovely.

grin

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:53:08

Meh to the antiques road show quickly turns the tv off

BrianTheMole Mon 12-May-14 23:53:23

grin

slithytove Mon 12-May-14 23:56:23

DH has just suggested doing a big shop, and packing every item into an individual bag grin

BrianTheMole Tue 13-May-14 00:03:37

Well, if you do that, then its only right you video it and post it back here.

kelper Tue 13-May-14 09:26:38

I did this in tesco this morning. however I suspect the checkout lady is a mnetter, as when I got to the belt the divider was not across the belt but lengthways. so I put mine at an angle, and it didn't seem to bother the chap behind me!

starfishmummy Tue 13-May-14 15:42:36

Dashed in to sainsbobs today. Instead of taking my three items through self serve I went to a till (and not even the basket one as it has the cashier who I avoid...). Anyway people in front had put the divide down so I turned it. Also put a divide behind me. Cashier just moved the front on and no one behind me. We were really quick so I didn't get a.pic.

Will try harder tomorrow

MrsDiesel Tue 13-May-14 16:18:36

I did this today in Aldi and................nothing happened. The people behind me just popped their bread on after it. The checkout operator was lovely and friendly so maybe she was a mumsnetter or maybe she just enjoys her job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now