Should I have a other child?

(9 Posts)

Ok so I currently have a 2 1/2 year old boy, I really really want to try for a girl but I'm unsure if I will be putting to much pressure on myself, I suffer with depression which at the moment I am doing fantastic with and have it all under control, I just don't want to mess it all up. I have 2 cats a dog and a little boy too look after on a daily and nightly basis oh and my husband who is like a big kid lol and then myself! I just wanted some advice from anyone whos house is as busy as mine and if having another child worked well with your hetic life lol thanks

Soubriquet Mon 19-Sep-16 13:30:48

Is it just a girl you want or another baby in general

Would you be happy if that baby is a boy as you have just as much a chance of having a boy as you do a girl?

NapQueen Mon 19-Sep-16 13:31:44

How would you feel if you had another boy?

I would still be very happy to have a boy but I will try my hardest and all these tips to have a girl as then I will have one of each and be super happy lol but I just don't want to jump in and go over my head with the worry of my issues surfacing

Soubriquet Mon 19-Sep-16 13:40:54

I have a history of depression

I had terrible post natal depression with my dd and whilst they resurfaced with ds it wasn't as bad

WordGetsAround Mon 19-Sep-16 13:44:13

If your motivation is to have another child, I'd go for it. If it's to have a girl, don't do it.

I have researched my medication that I am currently on and it's ok to take through the first and second trimester but I cannot take it during the third so I won't be off my meds for too long before I can take them again if I really need too that is, I'm just unsure and can't seem to make my mind up my husband works in the army and we are currently posted to a foreign country so I won't be working for another 2 years whilst we are here, and when I go back to the UK I want to dive back into work and focus on making money for my family so it's either I try for a baby now or wait until my little one is at least 6 or 7 and iv worked for a few years first I just don't know what to do, my husband wants one some days and then doesn't other days but I think that's just because he is worried about my mental state. I have the coil fitted at the moment so there won't be any worries for accidental conception right now.

My child can be quite a handful at times also he is very demanding and advanced for his age so I am pushed to my limits most days, I do feel like he would love a little sister (hopefully) or brother to play with and maybe give me a break sometimes lol

turtlesallthewaydown Mon 19-Sep-16 13:58:01

With the best will in the world there is precious little you can do to increase your chances of having a girl. But if you're ok with that, here's my experience of having two, just under three years apart.

It is a lot more work, more juggling and obviously more of the usual domestic crap. It's definitely harder coping with sleep deprivation when you have a child to look after as well as your baby. Having two also adds a new element to being a parent. One of the things I find the hardest is refereeing and defusing situations. I think mine are fairly normal, but they play together ok about half the time and the other half bicker and fight. They are 8 and 5 and this has been the case for at least two years. I tend toward depression and am an introvert, so I find this the most tiring aspect.

Having said that, they have a little buddy at home to play make believe with, spend hours on the swings with, and someone to look out for them for (hopefully) the rest of their lives. And I love them both deeply.

So I guess it's about assessing if you have the capacity to take on more. My OH would have had a third. I knew I wouldn't cope well with that so stopped at two and it was the right decision for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now