Safety advice please!!!

(12 Posts)
user1468270963 Mon 11-Jul-16 22:11:58

Please can someone suggest how to make this childproof?! We have wracked our brains and cannot come up with a solution. That is our lounge with a fairly low half wall to the stairs. Its a long drop and I'm losing sleep worrying.
Thanks!!

WordGetsAround Mon 11-Jul-16 22:13:13

Moving all furniture away from that wall will help enormously!

KayJBee Mon 11-Jul-16 22:19:42

A decent carpenter should be able to take it out and replace with proper height banister, like many houses have at the top of the stairs on a landing or hallway. You could choose to have it boxed in like it is currently to make a wall or leave it with the spindles open. Either way having climbable things next to it is not a good idea.

bloodyteenagers Mon 11-Jul-16 22:24:19

Declutter and move the stuff away from the wall. If there is nothing there, then there is nothing to climb on.

twirlypoo Mon 11-Jul-16 22:30:05

Def declutter and make it as uninteresting a corner as poss - remove things that can be stood on.

Failing that, what about those glass square breeze block thingies to extend it up to the ceiling?

Hang on, I found a photo that describes it better than I could grin

BigJustice Mon 11-Jul-16 22:45:13

Thanks guys. Unfortunetly de cluttering isnt an option as that is the size of our living room. It can only just fit the sofa sad
Ill talk to the landlord about those glass breeze blocks though smile

BigJustice Tue 12-Jul-16 15:11:20

Unfortunately that is our lounge. So where people call it a 'corner' that is our whole living space hence needed advice. Thanks for the ideas about glass blocks and railing though smile

twirlypoo Tue 12-Jul-16 17:53:25

Ahh from the first picture it looked more like one end of the room

If glass bricks aren't an option, could you swop and turn that into your bedroom and have your bedroom as the living room? Would mean they were less likely to be in that space?

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 12-Jul-16 18:01:03

Does that actually meet building regulations? We have just tried to install a new staircase and the amount of rules and regulations is staggering! I would be surprised it is allowed!

user1469425584 Thu 28-Jul-16 05:59:10

You could use a baby gate to child proof those stairs A properly installed baby gate will not only protect your child but limit their access to the steps as well. For easy footing regularly remove the obstacles and eliminate throw rugs if you have any. If you have any spills clean it up immediately and make sure that you prevent the child from walking on the wet floors. I found a blog from think protection that mentions some tips on
child proofing your home www.thinkprotection.com/blog/secure-home/6-ways-new-parents-can-secure-their-homes/ . I hope that you find it useful. Most importantly just keep the stairs free of clutter or you will invite stumbling if you keep them lying on the stairs.

Neome Thu 28-Jul-16 06:06:08

Shelves from top of low wall to ceiling and baby gate across stairs?

MaMattoo Mon 15-Aug-16 05:59:31

Insane idea - extendable shower rails , a few of them. Very tightly installed, To block off major sections of the low wall, you could get plain white ones quite cheap from online stores, and prettify them with fairy lights to prevent attractiveness of leaning!!! Or touching - And stair gate.
Ignore suggestion as permanent solution but because you are renting it takes ages sometimes for changes to be made.
Staircases do have a heck load of regulations that you can see online too if landlord doesn't help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now