tea room 36 - Teh Alpine Chalet

(1000 Posts)
UniS Tue 07-Jan-14 23:15:53

Welcome to the Tea rooms newest incarnation. A cozy log cabin with a roaring log fire, comfy chintz sofas and a dedicated man about the house, our Butler, Mellors. Out of the windows you can see sparkling white snow gently drifted up under the green Christmas trees and bright blue skies. Children can all be packed off to play healthy outdoor stuff while we stay snug n warm in here with our mulled wine, tea,artisan hot chocolate and other beverages served in mugs, glasses or buckets.

The usual rules apply - no fisticuffs. And no messing with the aspidistra.

I remember now when you adopted her. Do lurchers run away a lot- after rabbits or just overly independent? Apart from that worry, I have always liked the idea of lurchers.

mistlethrush Tue 14-Jan-14 09:25:14

We didn't know whether we'd be able to let mistlehound off the lead because when we got her she'd been in the pound 3x and the last time her owners didn't bother to get her out again. So - we thought either she ran off when hunting or escaped. However, that's turned out to be really far from the truth. She's very good - she does have the most wonderful runs if there are suitable dogs to run with - and will go fast and far in a large loop, but will come back to us. When out in the countryside, we can take her to where there are rabbits and she'll hunt them (hasn't caught a thing mind you) but keeps an eye on where we are and keeps moving in generally the same direction. She will come away when there are still rabbits to hunt too, although she's not particularly keen to come. I think that the breeding they have has a significant impact on their return qualities - saluki crosses can sometimes decide that they just don't want to come back and be happy to have a stand-off for an hour or so. Mistlehound is just too friendly and keen to please to do that. On holiday she's happy to be out and walking for 14 hrs or so with short stops for meals. At home she gets about an hour and a half or so of decent walk and is quite happy to spend most of the rest of the day asleep, unless you want to play with her when she's happy to oblige.

She sounds lovely. I have two hours off work and wish it would stop raining so that I could take Lebeauchien for a walk without a snorkel and flippers. Failing that, will make AP a cup of tea and think about tomorrows lessons.
Tea all round, anyone?

mistlethrush Wed 15-Jan-14 15:27:41

Yes please LBD. I think I would like a slice of parkin with it too if that's OK?

Donki Wed 15-Jan-14 20:47:00

Oooh! Gluten free parkin. Please may I have some too?

《Makes a fresh cauldron of tea》

Scout19075 Wed 15-Jan-14 21:35:05

Ooohhhh, tea. I could use tea. I'm so cold. I hate how damp winter is here.

Donki Wed 15-Jan-14 22:19:08

Help yourself Scout

mistlethrush Wed 15-Jan-14 23:36:14

Parkin is definitely gluten free.

Scout, there are plenty of warm drinks... and soup with homemade rolls that mc has been modelling grin

Scout19075 Thu 16-Jan-14 15:20:51

What's Parkin?

mistlethrush Thu 16-Jan-14 16:22:20

oooh Scout you're missing out - its lovely gingerbread, somewhat sticky, and is a northern tradition, it has oatmeal in it which gives it a 'different' texture and helps it store for ages - don't know whether this recipe is any good as I've not tried it - but its along those lines.

Donki Thu 16-Jan-14 20:10:35

School parkin was the best. I think it is Lancashire that makes a kind of ginger biscuit and calls them parkins (heresy)

Scout19075 Fri 17-Jan-14 10:03:04

Hospital clinic waiting rooms are very interesting for people watching.

mistlethrush Fri 17-Jan-14 19:27:18

Hope hospital visit went OK and waiting wasn't too long.

UniS Sat 18-Jan-14 17:15:00

oh bugger. I think I have lost my car and house keys end route to or
at the rl alpine chalet. aaaaaaaarggggh.

mistlethrush Sat 18-Jan-14 18:45:12

I hope that someone finds them and you get them back confused

Donki Sat 18-Jan-14 20:59:22

<<Puts out consolatory bucket of hot chocolate (with optional rum, brandy and cream) for all in need>>

I hope you get the keys back UniS
Scout - I hope the hospital visit went OK.

We have a mouse! (Or possibly mice)
Slither the cornsnake is clearly not earning his keep...

mistlethrush Sat 18-Jan-14 21:00:32

But you'd need to let him out to earn his keep....

Donki Sat 18-Jan-14 21:36:12

True MT grin

Donki Sun 19-Jan-14 22:04:36

I am sure that Slither would think me unreasonable - I can just imagine the thread in AIBU

AIBU to think that my owners are completely unreasonable to expect me to keep the house free of mice, when they won't let me out of my vivarium? grin

End of the weekend hot chocolate and bread and butter pudding (left over from tea) on the buffet.

UniS Mon 20-Jan-14 20:58:00

is it safe to come in?No snakes about??

that bread pud was good.
no keys found yet. bum.I think I shall have to go to lock smith during my lunch time on get some replacement keys cut. I'm currently using the spares.

skiing was good. had a couple of private lessons along with dh . instructor made us work hard on ironing out bad habits but it paid off and I was def skiing better afterwards.

Scout19075 Tue 21-Jan-14 09:55:57

<<Sets out a breakfast buffet for all those who'd like something to eat and drink.>>

Bad luck with the keys, UniS. I lost a car key to our old car and about six/seven years on MrScout will still give me grief about it if I say I don't have my (car) key with me.

We went to the Midlands over the weekend for our annual trip to the potteries for Christmas present shopping in the sales. Spent Saturday doing Boy-centric things. You know you're a regular, even if only once or twice a year, when some of the volunteers on the Steam Train recognize you.

SmallBoy was playing this morning and talking about brothers and sisters. I asked him if he'd like one and he said "Oh no!" I watched him this weekend watching families with siblings playing with each other and couldn't work out if he was envious/wishing he had a playmate in the form of a sibling or if he was just wishing he was brave enough to go and join in. Over Christmas he seemed happy enough to have his cousins to play with but he seemed relieved to be by himself again when they left/we left their house. I'm hoping it's just he was just wishing he could join in and then leave again.

Hospital on Friday was fine. Some good-ish news given so am feeling a little less bitter at the whole British medical system/process. Round two, which I was expecting wouldn't begin until mid-2015 (like May/June/July) based on previous conversations, will likely start between November 2014 and February 2015 (with things most likely starting in December or January). At least now that I have a more solid time frame I can begin to prepare and plan. The doctor said round two, with the three drugs, is very "rough" (her words, not mine) and "takes a lot of will power and dedication." As much as I wish I could have sorted it out years ago, when SB was little, in a way I'm glad he'll be five when I start -- so much more independent and self-sufficient and doesn't need a beady eye on him 24/7. Like now, he's been sitting at the kitchen table for nearly 90 minutes on his own, playing with his Lego. The only input he's needed from me has been to take flat pieces off of the base or other pieces. Otherwise he's been making his own creations and playing. I realize I am lucky that way -- that he likes to play on his own but when he wants to play board games he won't let up until someone plays with him.

mistlethrush Tue 21-Jan-14 10:11:36

I'm glad to hear that you've got some idea of timescale now - and its not stretching out indefinitely.

I think 5 will be so much easier than 2 or 3 Scout - he will actually have a concept of the fact that you're not feeling well, and you'll be able to explain to him that you will get better but its going to be quite a long time - and he should be able to retain that info and hopefully be OK about it - and also understand that you're not playing as much because you can't. I don't think it will be easy - but I do think it will be a little bit easier than if he was younger.

That was one of the things that really scared me when my levels didn't drop quickly after mcs post DS - I worried that the mp I had before DS was coming back and couldn't imagine how I would cope with chemo AND DS as a toddler at the same time.

UniS Tue 21-Jan-14 18:02:40

And small boy will have started school, which will bring its own raft of challenges but hopefully will allow you a few hours "off" 5 days a week to sleep/ feel rubbish in peace.

Donki Fri 24-Jan-14 06:17:39

Good luck with it all Scout .

mistlethrush Mon 27-Jan-14 08:54:42

UniS - have you managed to sort the keys out?

This thread is not accepting new messages.