tea room 36 - Teh Alpine Chalet

(1000 Posts)
UniS Tue 07-Jan-14 23:15:53

Welcome to the Tea rooms newest incarnation. A cozy log cabin with a roaring log fire, comfy chintz sofas and a dedicated man about the house, our Butler, Mellors. Out of the windows you can see sparkling white snow gently drifted up under the green Christmas trees and bright blue skies. Children can all be packed off to play healthy outdoor stuff while we stay snug n warm in here with our mulled wine, tea,artisan hot chocolate and other beverages served in mugs, glasses or buckets.

The usual rules apply - no fisticuffs. And no messing with the aspidistra.

Scout19075 Tue 25-Mar-14 20:06:25

Donki, will the school open for one class?

Donki Tue 25-Mar-14 20:08:55

Yes - (and 2 classes in KS1/FS)

Scout19075 Tue 25-Mar-14 20:09:14

Maud, SB's BFF starts school in September. It has to do with swimming classes/schedules and babysitting.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 25-Mar-14 20:09:33

I have heard of schools which will be part-open tomorrow - I guess support staff who aren't in the NUT will be there. The Girl's school will be shut and so will the others closest to us.

Scout19075 Tue 25-Mar-14 20:10:19

Why do I predict no work will be done but lots of playing/videos?

Donki Tue 25-Mar-14 20:24:23

Year 6 SATS preparation is what I predict...

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 08:48:20

Well that doesn't sound fun. What if there are siblings -- dies one have to go in while others are at home? Does the unauthorized absence rule apply if a parent keeps the one home with the others?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 26-Mar-14 08:53:38

I think so, Scout. As far as I can see, if a child's class/school is open, then it's an unauthorised absence if they don't attend, even if siblings' classes are shut.

What are you doing today?

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 09:40:49

<<head explodes at the logistical nightmare for parents of more than one child and the ensuing sibling squabbles>>. This might be reason 1,576 why I'm grateful for an only.

SB is on his last Alphablocks episode and then we're off to town to go to the library before it shuts (closes at lunchtime on Wednesdays) and it rains (supposed to rain from lunchtime). Rain means we don't need to go watering today, so I've ticked that off the list. I think this afternoon we're going to "do stickers" (that's finishing working our way through the Alphablocks magazine to normal folks) and some cutting/gluing/sticking projects. SB's lambs look lonely so we have some ladybugs and bees to make. Have flowers and bunnies, too, but will do those closer to Easter.

How about you, Maud?

mistlethrush Wed 26-Mar-14 10:10:09

Scout - have you done the 'bug house' that you stuff stems (eg old cow parsley stems and the like) into an emptied out, washed out, bottom cut off 1l plastic milk container and hang it up for the bugs? DS loves making things for bugs and its good for wildlife and I'm sure mini Scout would also enjoy similar (and poking about in bark for monkeypeas etc in the summer)

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:17:02

oh, no, haven't tried that MT. Thanks. We have a bee house and a ladybird house in our front garden but those were bought/presents. We're still stick gathering for our den as well.

SB and I are currently in a standoff over ripping off toilet paper from the roll.

mistlethrush Wed 26-Mar-14 10:28:18

Similar ideas here - but for pop bottle exchange card for milk bottle and use stems and straws etc to stuff it instead...

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:48:55

Thanks, MT, I'll have a look on my computer in a bit (on phone now). We got caught in the rain not far from the house on the return trip. Brr, the rain in Scoutshire is cold today! We're about to have leftover sloppy joes for lunch to warm us up.

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:49:29

How are things today, Donki?

Donki Wed 26-Mar-14 16:39:10

Saw the doctor again today - she has increased the dose of Citalopram to 20mg (she has been cautious, introducing it slowly) and signed me off for another 4 weeks. Which is all well and good, but I worry that my school will lose patience.... although they have been very supportive so far.

I am so angry with MrDonki about Sunday - although it turns out that DM is away and can't make the concert at the Minster sad

I want to go out somewhere with the YD during the day. And I may ask demand that MrDonki comes back earlier so that I can go by myself!

An unlucky SafeStyle salesman called just as I was going out to the GP - and caught the rough edge of my tongue. I don't feel too guilty as when they came round last time - and MrDonki agreed to let them give us a quote, it took trading standards to stop them making aggressive phone calls afterwards.

Donki Wed 26-Mar-14 20:49:30

Well, I decided that sitting there seething would be ridiculous. So very calmly and quietly I told MrDonki how angry I was.

I got a sheepish 'sorry'

Harrumph.

<<Gets out a large vat of red wine, which by Tea Room rules of requirement will not interact in any way with the Citalopram>>

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:19:51

Has he said anything about Sunday, Donki?

What did the YD end up doing in school today?

mistlethrush Wed 26-Mar-14 21:36:33

Donki I'll give you a lift home if that would help - remember you need to pay for parking when ever you park in the centre - evenings and weekends too sad

Donki Wed 26-Mar-14 21:42:47

Thank you for the offer Mistle but I usually park by the West Yorkshire Playhouse if we are in town in the evening - it's reasonable from 6pm on - which I hope gives me time to get to the Minster.

How much is the concert and can I get tickets on the door?

Scout The YD had a completely normal school day, lessonwise. The school was eerily quiet though.

Once we had dealt with his anxieties over only one of his friends (the most annoying one) being around (solution, come home for lunch so that he got a break from annoying friend), he went into school very calmly. Much better than yesterday!

Donki Wed 26-Mar-14 21:47:09

MrDonki might be remorseful about Sunday, but he is not actually doing anything to change arrangements. He has offered to take us out for Saturday lunch, but my emotions are all over the place at the moment, and I don't actually know what I want....

... besides beating him silly and killing OW

mistlethrush Wed 26-Mar-14 21:48:35

details here - there's always room.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 26-Mar-14 21:50:06

::Mellors puts the le Creuset frying pan into his rucksack and checks the train timetable::

mistlethrush Wed 26-Mar-14 22:09:11

Just imagine the NMBs infesting the 'quiet' coach grin

Scout19075 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:14:56

SB and I can join the Le Creuset army, though I'd recommend we wait until the morning or I will have a very grumpy SB to contend with and wouldn't be able to focus on the task at hand.

Donki Wed 26-Mar-14 22:33:06

SB can always wear the hob nailed boots... :-D

This thread is not accepting new messages.