Guilt...does it go?

(5 Posts)
studtotal Mon 19-Aug-13 12:48:22

I only ever wanted one child. He is now 8, and has asked for the first time about siblings? I told him I only ever wanted him (and I'm too old anyway). I have suffered from depression/anxiety all my life and I know I could not have coped with 2 kids (I work full time as well). But I feel so guilty...he is a kind, well adjusted boy, with friends he plays with after school....but I just have a sense of guilt that I have denied him something...

I also have a big problem of worrying about him dying and ending up all alone sad

Tee2072 Mon 19-Aug-13 13:03:35

Siblings does not guarantee he wouldn't end up alone. I have 5 siblings. I only speak to one of them. I know plenty of people who never speak to their siblings.

If you are happy in your decision, there is no need for guilt.

WaitressRose Wed 21-Aug-13 01:35:08

Despite suffering from long term depression and anxiety you are raising a "kind, well adjusted boy" who has friends. What do you have to feel guilty about? Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job.

Odds are you won't die until he's well into adulthood so don't waste today worrying about something you have no control over (I need to follow my own advice!). He'll be fine without siblings - just enjoy your life together smile

SunshineMMum Wed 28-Aug-13 16:11:04

Hi I didn't know that there was a one child family board! I worry about DS being left alone OP, particularly as he has autism sad. I do think that the guilt gets better, particularly when you think of all the advantages only children have. I am one of three girls, where as DS has never had to suffer comparisons, or vie for my attention.

Snog Sat 07-Sep-13 17:47:47

it never occurs to me to feel guilty about having one child!
What is there to feel guilty about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now