Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 07-Feb-13 20:48:42

It'll be fine. Are you staying near the washing machine at home?

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:02:02

Yes, staying at home. Dryer bit of the machine is playing up so will go to the launderette tomorrow night or stupidly early Saturday morning.

SB has said he'd like to wear pants tomorrow when I asked. I've told him we'll have an at-home day -- we'll do some more Pp projects (we're doing activities/coloring/making things for each letter in the order of Jolly Phonics), we'll practice using scissors and cut & paste lots of things, do puzzles (he's really got into puzzles lately and has been doing a 36 piece cardboard one that goes on a board with no picture to look at -- he'll do it, tip it over and do it again), watch trains & Cbeebies and generally have a good day in with lots of sitting on the toilet. What he doesn't know is I'm armed with sparkly stickers and chocolate trains.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 07-Feb-13 21:03:54

Stickers and chocolate treats are just what you need!

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:05:16

He got a chocolate train for his first swim class this term. I have two boxes less that one he ate after swimming of them.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 07-Feb-13 21:07:57

Aw. If you keep up the constant reminders about the loo, it'll go fine, I'm sure. And then you can have a chocolate feast.

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:12:05

He likes climbing up and sitting on the toilet but seems to only want to do it fully clothed. Chocolate's ready. I need to dig out the stickers.

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:13:18

Oh, the train at the first swim was because I knew how nervous and excited he was to go into the pool with just his teacher & friends. He was very brave and listened well so I thought he deserved a surprise reward.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 07-Feb-13 21:15:12

But maybe he will want to sit on the loo partially-undressed when his big boy pants are at stake? Fingers crossed.

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:18:46

That's what I'm hoping, especially since he said he wants to wear the red pair (red is his favorite color).

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 07-Feb-13 21:24:00

Oh, bless him. Have you got lots of spare pants ready?

Scout19075 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:30:09

It was a 7-pack. I think I also got a pack in the US but need to try to remember where I put them if I did get them.

UniS Thu 07-Feb-13 22:58:22

If you run out of pants he can always go comando.

mistlethrush Fri 08-Feb-13 00:32:50

good luck Scout!

oxeye Fri 08-Feb-13 01:58:42

::waves at scout::
good luck with pants. I found Oxboy liked to stand to wee, that was the break through - ideally outside

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 04:25:10

Shame it's so cold or we'd go commando outside all day. If nothing else it would give my neighbor a chuckle. (She's a nurse on a ward at the YOUT hospital so naked bums wouldn't bother her.)

beanandspud Fri 08-Feb-13 09:18:30

Good luck Scout and SB!

brew and pastries are on the side on this chilly Friday morning.

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:23:35

We have failed at the first hurdle. He sat bottomless but I didn't have to bribe him, oh no. Got the pants on him. Kept saying we're going to the toilet after breakfast. He was resisting. I went, was just going to get him and remind him again of the bribe and he did both in his pants and wasn't the least bit bothered by it. Got him on the loo bottomless and gave him the reward sticker for being bottomless on the toilet. (Sticker for sitting bottomless, chocolate train for something in the toilet.)

The fact he wasn't bothered by the wet pants isn't promising, is it?

He's currently bottomless playing with his car and lift track thing, oblivious to his half nakedness.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 08-Feb-13 10:34:51

It's too soon to say, Scout. This is just a minor setback. Would it better to say "we're going to the toilet right now" rather than in so many minutes or after such and such a thing? He's probably too little to have that sense of time.

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:38:14

That's what I did but he made a huge fuss about "I don't want to!" that feared a huge meltdown to get on the loo.

beanandspud Fri 08-Feb-13 10:39:49

Don't panic Scout! The first day Small Bean went to nursery in 'Big Boy Pants' I collected seven pairs of wet pants and trousers at pick-up. The next day it was down to just a couple and by the end of the week he was pretty much dry.

Keep popping him on the toilet every 30 mins of so, lots of stickers for just sitting on the toilet, lots and lots of praise every time he does something.

And just remember, it's not the final chance. If after a few days you decide that this isn't the right time you can always make a choice to put the pants away for a few weeks and try again.

But stay positive - it will be fine.

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:56:43

Oh, I know it's not a do-now-or-never sort of thing. I'm perfectly willing to put him back in diapers if needed. It was the lack of upset at wetting himself that made me hmm as I thought he'd hate being wet (given things like he doesn't like picking up a lot of finger food, like fruit, preferring a fork).

We're now sitting watching videos on the computer. He's still naked from the waist down. He's having a cuddle, sitting on a towel that's been folded many times. I'm going to start going for the every half-hour on the loo, protests or not.

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:58:09

SmallBoy is loving this. I think we've now watched it a dozen times.

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:54:02

Any tips for getting him to stay on? He suddenly doesn't want to stay and he doesn't want a sticker. I've sung, counted (he lives counting, so it's not me being mean), offered to read a story....

Scout19075 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:22:42

Oh dear. I've just had sobbing of "I don't want to sit on toilet! I don't want to be big. I want a nappy.". I think that's us for the day the. sad. No point in stressing him out.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 08-Feb-13 13:30:54

Yes, that's enough for one day. Try again tomorrow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now