Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

mistlethrush Mon 04-Nov-13 22:19:36

Our first performance is next Tuesday!!!!

UniS Mon 04-Nov-13 22:34:02

Crikey MT, Christmas starts early in Yorkshire these days!

Scout19075 Wed 06-Nov-13 17:03:14

This time next week we'll be on our way to PiLshire in preparation for our trip to American Scout Camp.

I'm not excited. Oh no. Not me. Not at all.

mistlethrush Sat 09-Nov-13 08:39:20

Are you all packed then Scout? wink

Had to get up at 5.45am to get mistlechick off to his cubs trip - first overnight trip with them. He is bemused at the number of different rucksacks that we've managed to find between us to get the right size for him - he doesn't need that much though so just has a 30l one. My 55l one will be ideal when he needs more capacity - the slightly shorter back because its a woman's rucksack will be fine for a few years!

Mistlehound was rather surprised at getting up so early, but didn't mind having an early trip down the garden - she's now sleeping beside me.

Scout19075 Sat 09-Nov-13 10:04:50

Finishing his weekend, MT. And while MrScout is working away and SB & I are at PiL I'll pack everything properly (all of the presents for the American contingent are in PiLshire, plus my PiL have presents for my parents and vice versa on the other end).

SB has a rotten cold and spent 3/4 of the night cuddled with me in bed saying "I have snot, Mommy. There's more snot in my nose.". Guess it's better this Friday night than next when we'll be on our final sleep before departure -- and flying with a full head cold no fun.

I can't find SB's American passport. I have his British one so he can still go but it's very frustrating since I keep all of our passports together. He's due for new ones next year anyway but still....

mistlethrush Sat 09-Nov-13 10:06:18

Mistlechick doesn't have a passport... and mine ran out about 7 years ago! blush

Scout19075 Sat 09-Nov-13 10:38:54

Having both for SB makes it very easy to get in him/out of both countries. I'm entitled to a British one, just haven't done it yet.

Scout19075 Sun 10-Nov-13 08:32:20

It has just clicked to SB that we're really going on an airplane soon. He's helped me make a list of what he needs to pack in his suitcase (he has a small boy size wheelie one that can be his carry-on) -- Bunny (of course!), magazines, markers (to write and color in his magazines), snacks, books, pajamas, camera, more snacks, trains, Bunny (yes, SB, we have Bunny on the list. But he has to go with me in my suitcase, Mommy!*), books, more trains. He has specifically told me that we need to go to Tesco to buy magazines and that we need to go to the bookshop in YOUT to buy a new book for his suitcase. I already have three magazines for him (one he would normally get anyway, I just haven't taken him to the shop to get it because he'd want to do it and we wouldn't have it for the plane) and he has lots of books to choose from. I suspect, with our two days at my PiL before the trip, that my MiL will get him a book from the little independent bookshop in their town center (she does regularly take him for a new book or has one waiting for him as a surprise). Fortunately he seems to have remembered what I told him a few weeks ago about the whole warren of bunnies not able to go with us and that only Bunny, and maybe one other, can go with us and the rest will stay at Nana's and look after the cats (real cats, not stuffed friends). We also had to check what the in-flight entertainment for November is because, one year on for our last flight, he's *STILL talking about what he watched "on the airplane television." I was trying to prepare him that they might not have that program and/or station on the plane but he wasn't having it. Fortunately in-flight still has a CBeebies station and is showing the show he keeps talking about as his airplane program.

Now that he's old enough (and big), I fully expect that border control, on both sides, will ask him questions. So we started talking about that today, so that he wouldn't be afraid/scared of the people in uniform asking him questions. He can say, very confidently that he's going to see Grandmom and Grandad to give them hugs. Thanksgiving seems a foreign concept (ha!). The name of the airport in the States we're going to is full of big words with lots of syllables that he's struggling to get his tongue around when it's full of cold (and oh boy is he full of cold!). He tells people his name (his nickname, that he's known by, and his full name though he needs to be prompted for that). He's still telling everyone he's four and where he lives (the house number and street or the town and sometimes the county). Anything else he should know/be able to say?

This morning SB decided to tell me that he's "four. And I'll be five on my next birthday but I have to get through four first." Yes, SB, you do need to get through four. Then he proceeded to tell me "I'll need a train cake and presents to be five." Oh, do you need a train cake for your birthday, SB? "Yes, Mommy, I need another train cake for my birthday. But I need to get through four first before my next birthday when I'll be five. And I want a train cake to celebrate my birthday." And I thought I planned ahead!

Two nights in a row of not much sleep because of a poorly SB and I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

Scout19075 Sun 10-Nov-13 08:32:56

Gah, sorry about the random bolding. Grrrrr.

mistlethrush Sun 10-Nov-13 23:21:18

I hope he gets over the cold in good time to prepare for the flight (and I hope you don't catch it just in time for the flight too)

Scout19075 Sat 16-Nov-13 14:20:13

See you in EST!!!!!

Jacksmania Sat 16-Nov-13 22:05:33

Safe journey love!!

mistlethrush Sat 16-Nov-13 22:41:52

I hope its a very straightforward, easy flight and TS has managed to pack what he needs!

Scout19075 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:00:14

SB looked so grown up traveling on Saturday. He navigated the airport like a real pro. <<Sobs at the thought of a grown up SB making the journey on his own some day.>> Several people on the flight complimented him/me on his politeness and his traveling skills (such as saying "excuse me please" when passing someone, sitting nicely, not kicking the chair in front, etc.). WHEW! <<Wipes brow in relief.>>

It was a bit ugly yesterday when SB decided sleep was for the weak and that neither he nor I was allowed any (he, at least, slept on the plane and had five hours of sleep in bed -- I didn't manage any sleep on the flight and had less than four hours in bed). Still, he managed to sit nicely/be polite when we went for lunch and then went to the store to look at toys and get groceries (Mom decided to wait until we got in to do the weekly shop so SB could pick out some things he likes, like his favorite yogurt, cookies and fruit).

I have already gorged this morning on Toaster Pastries (store brand Pop Tarts) and English Muffins. Nom nom nom.

Scout19075 Mon 18-Nov-13 11:08:01

Oh, didn't mention we couldn't find his US passport in the end and had to go to the Embassy in London for a new one since US citizens are required to travel in/out of the country on their US passports. I forgot how big US military blokes and their guns are.

mistlethrush Tue 19-Nov-13 00:19:15

Mistlechick hasn't got (or had) a passport yet!!! blush

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 20-Nov-13 21:41:44

Yay for the trip to the land of Scout!

UniS Fri 22-Nov-13 23:03:55

evening all. glad you have made it safely to the scout home land. Well done on the airport grownupness from SB. I saw a child who was not coping well with airport stuff being almost thrown through security as their parent decided that surprise was going to be the best way to get their screaming youngster through the scanner arch alone.

Dh is home now, back from Denver. Boy was most surprised to see his dad at end of school. so surprised that boy had in fact gone back into classroom to wait as he hadn't seen me in playground and thought he'd been abandoned ( boy is something of a drama queen).

mistlethrush Fri 22-Nov-13 23:06:20

Classic UniS - 'its not what I expected so its not there...'

Mistlehound broke a 4" square post last Friday - so I've got to replace that now.. She knocked it with her knee and snapped it at ground level ... possibly a bit of rot, but not much - goodness knows how she didn't break her leg.

UniS Sat 23-Nov-13 18:28:08

wish me luck - I'm entering a cyclo cross race omorrow- not a novices shortened race but teh full 1 hour senior race!! eeek. what have a i done. I'm taking two bikes. my own, which has working brakes and low gears but no grip, and a borrowed beat up MTB which has grip but dicky brakes. I think I'll do a lap one each and see which is least terrifying to use for the rest of the race.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 23-Nov-13 20:35:51

Hmm, yes, very good luck with that.

::rather you than me emoticon::

mistlethrush Sat 23-Nov-13 20:44:20

<Nods in agreement>

I hope that you manage to get round with no injuries and are happy with the result.

beanandspud Sun 24-Nov-13 21:41:19

Good luck Unis! Let us know how you got on?

UniS Sun 24-Nov-13 23:00:40

I came last - someone had too. Last in every sense, fewest laps and last person on teh course. ho hum, the only way is up from here.

mistlethrush Sun 24-Nov-13 23:51:38

But you survived - there are positives here!!! Well done!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now