Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

Scout19075 United States Wed 04-Sep-13 18:06:14

The second Christmas pudding of this batch is steaming, mincemeat is mingling, ready for cooking tonight, fruit soaking for Christmas cake and SmallBoy is painting ceramic Christmas ornaments for presents. Yes, it's September in the Scout Hut. You'd never know we spent most at the day at the playground, picking berries on the path to/from town and in the backyard playing with the water table. SB has asked if its his bedtime yet.

UniS Wed 04-Sep-13 23:48:30

Back to school tomorrow( thursday)....

Scout19075 United States Thu 05-Sep-13 09:38:24

Hope Boy has a good first day back today, UniS.

UniS Thu 05-Sep-13 14:18:27

He rode into school very happy. Today apparently his sport is swimming ( he as a class after school, tomorrow it will be cycling.. maybe saturday it will be running. I think the boy finds school gets in the way of his sport.

Their class teacher is unfortunately signed off sick for at least a week, so they are starting the year with a supply teacher, but at least its the same supply teacher as taught them for a couple of days late last term.

beanandspud Fri 06-Sep-13 19:27:29

Christmas! shockshockshock

It sounds as if your week got better Scout? smhid smile at SB asking for bedtime, I don't think Small Bean has ever asked to go to bed - he'd be crawling on all fours before admitting that he was tired.

Glad that Boy had a good first week. I was thinking about you in the week as we were looking at tickets for some of the Commonwealth Games events and wondered whether you might be going for the cycling?

Small Bean has survived his first week in Y1! It sounds as if he has had a good time, they are definitely doing more work than they did in Reception but in a funny sort of way I think it suits him better as the silly behaviour seemed to happen at 'choosing time'. He is absolutely shattered though - I feel a fairly low-key weekend might be on the cards.

wine or cake?

UniS Sat 07-Sep-13 18:53:28

Saturdays "sport" seemed to be sleeping. boy didn;t wake up till nearly 10am... mind you, he had a late night. Bike racing in the Branstaple Criterium races , 4th in the Under 8 boys.

Scout19075 United States Wed 11-Sep-13 08:29:36

I like sleeping as a sport. What I wouldn't give for a full, deep, uninterrupted, restful night's sleep.

Scout19075 United States Thu 12-Sep-13 21:33:53

SmallBoy has been consistently asleep between 6:45 & 7:15 since we came back from holiday -- wahoo! Today was a bit later -- 7:20/25 but we started bedtime later and he only played in the backyard, not spent most of the day outside and/or running around like a loon. I'm dreading the colder weather -- SB is like me, and we just don't do cold.

More Christmas cooking has been done this week but no more presents made. SB has been "doing his work" aka "doing stickers" instead (doing sticker books or preschool magazines with stickers and coloring and writing). Even though I know he's struggling with long-distance sight I've been watching how he's doing his stickers and I've noticed a change in how he looks at the books/pencils/markers. I wonder if it's just as a result of being tired from trying to focus on the long distance. He definitely struggles with it later in the day as he's getting tired. Thank God I know when his hospital appointment is -- as he gets frustrated with his eyes I keep reassuring him we'll be going to the doctor soon and even showed him on a calendar when we're going. I had to have his appointment changed -- the surgery gave him an appointment at the local county hospital, not the YOUT hospital where all of his other doctors (and mine) are. After the girl at the surgery moaning at me that the appointment would take longer to come through she agreed to do it and the YOUT hospital appointment is actually sooner than the county hospital one which was booked two weeks earlier.

I've suddenly realized SmallBoy turns four next month. We've had a lot of birthday since the start of August so he's started talking about his. The other day he told me that his birthday presents are still at the shop, waiting to be bought. Hahahahaha.

Scout19075 United States Thu 12-Sep-13 21:44:29

Meant to ask -- how has the first full week of school gone for everyone?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 12-Sep-13 21:48:45

It's been all go here. The Girl is enjoying her new school, although seems slightly overawed by it all and is getting very tired and irritable.

I had missed the news about SmallBoy's eyes. Is it just distance vision he struggles with?

UniS Thu 12-Sep-13 21:53:06

all the best for small boys eye test. Glasses may make a BIG difference. I hadn't realised things didn;t go fuzzy because they were far away before I had my 1st glasses ( i was about 6 or 7).

Start of school has been OK, busy weekend coming up now. I OUGHT To have been baking shortbread tonight, but I havn't done it so I guess its just another thing on my list for tomorrow. along with apple cake, pizza and helping boy finish his garden on a plate after school. Its teh village horticultural show on Saturday. I got a bit carried away and entered loads of veg and baking classes. My carrots are beautiful, and I've just checked and its only 1 cucumber ( not 2 as I thought), so I feel a lot happier as my 2 cucumbers don't match very well.

I'm entering " a basket of veg" for the 1st time.My plan is to line the basket with ruby chard, then fill it with yellow courgettes , purple french beans and orange carrots. It'll be colourful if nothing else.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 12-Sep-13 21:57:23

That basket of veg sounds beautiful!

I was disappointed that I couldn't enter my figs in our show, as I needed 3 and my total crop amounts to 2.

Scout19075 United States Thu 12-Sep-13 22:16:08

I suspect glasses -- my sister started wearing them around the same age, as did MrScout and a couple of nieces were not much older. But the optician wanted the paeds folks to double check and run all of the tests (some of which she couldn't/wouldn't do because of his age). SB will close his bad eye when he wants to focus far away and point. He'll also cover his eyes to work out the best way to see.

I want to grow fruit and veg! I'm envious of you, Maud & UniS. I'm thinking of getting a blackcurrant bush for a pot since I've only recently learned they will grow in a pot. I'm hoping next year SB and I can grow things in bags and pots -- any suggestions?

UniS Thu 12-Sep-13 23:04:07

Veg in planters ideas

- Carrots- seriously , NOT long carrots, go for short ones, This year I'm growing globe carrots and they taste wonderful. They are growing in a planter about 30cm deep and 50 cm diameter. We have had a few meals with thinnings and now will have another 4 or so meals with full grown carrots.

Radish- easy to grow, seed half a planter, then seed the other half a month later and keep leap frogging like that all summer. radishes grow to eating size in about 6 weeks from planting.

Spuds in bags- MAGIC- well documented else where. expensive compared to just buying spuds, so make sure you grow a premium variety - good for salad early varieties.

Lettuce and other salad leaves grow well in planters.

Scout19075 United States Mon 16-Sep-13 11:26:26

Thanks, UniS!

SB and I did spuds this year -- we're on the register for potatoes from the Potato Council. They did really well this year but one of the two bags had an ants nest or something in them when we dug them out of the bag and it gave me the heebie-geebies. Even leaving the potatoes out in a box and drowning them in water didn't kill off the ants. I couldn't face bringing them into the house -- the last thing I wanted was ants in the house. SB loved growing them and digging them, though, so will definitely try it again next spring.

Anyone have any luck with tomatoes? We always had tomatoes growing up and they did really well but my FiL made a comment the other week about how hard they are to grow.

We're going to do miniature sunflowers again -- they were really successful this year -- as was our lavender and marigolds.

MrScout is thinking of ripping up the bedding plants that are in the front/under our front window (the builders put them in, we have no idea what's in there and they're out of control). I suggested he leave it empty and let SB and I have it for pots and veg and stuff. Grant it, it's in the front and next to the public sidewalk, but we could still try something. I will just have to make sure we don't put out any of our ornaments since we've had yet another thing nicked from our front (SmallBoy's Ladybird house this time). We live on a corner, near the path that leads to town, and is the shortcut for people going up to the former? council estate that starts at the top of our road. We regularly have trash thrown in the bedding plants and shrubs, wing mirrors broken (thank goodness our current car has wing mirrors that automatically close/come in), windscreen wipers nicked and things taken from our lawn/pots. I hate people sometimes. Because it was SB's ladybird house we went and reported it to the police (we do, too, when it's damage to the car) because he was really upset that someone was "mean and took OUR ladybird house. It's ours, Mommy, not theirs!" They'll never find it, and it was only worth about £10, but it's the principle of it (and trying to teach SB that the police are here to help and that you shouldn't steal things). I've promised SB a new ladybird house in the spring and have moved my new bee house. Unfortunately, though, both the bee house and ladybug house were near the pots of flowers that attracted a lot of bees & butterflies so I suspect we'll have to move our pots in the spring, too, so they're near the houses.

mistlethrush Wed 25-Sep-13 14:57:49

How's everyone doing?

I've managed to avoid going to see MiL at all since she moved out at the end of August. The last invitation (that DH took DS to) was when I very conveniently had a rehearsal. What a pity.

I've not had any luck with tomatoes up here Bean - outside we don't really have a long enough season to get them ripening properly.

Scout19075 United States Wed 25-Sep-13 16:05:18

In four weeks SmallBoy will turn four and two weeks after that we're going home. Wahoo!!!! MrScout booked the flights today. I am so excited I could burst. And every day since we returned from Devon SB has talked about going to see his grandparents, the airplane ride, the ride in Grandmom's truck from the airport and the bowl of cereal he'll eat when he gets to the house before he goes to bed. Every day. Every time he sees an airplane. Every time he sees a truck. Have I mentioned he talks about it every day?! I think I might have to make him a countdown calendar to help keep me sane.

beanandspud Fri 27-Sep-13 20:52:04

Anyone around? I have wine and cake!

I've done quite well with tomatoes this year Scout. Grew some black tomatoes (no idea what the variety is) and they've been great. I have about 12 plants of various types around the garden. I'm not very disciplined though about tying them up neatly so it's a bit of a tomato jungle and rather like going blackberrying by the time you've rooted through the plants!

mistlethrush Fri 27-Sep-13 21:05:23

I never succeeded with tomatoes up here. When on hols we bought mixed tomatoes from the farm shop and some of the dark ones were delicious.

A wine would be good. Been a long week.

beanandspud Fri 27-Sep-13 21:28:26

<<pours wine>>

It's been a funny old week as Mr Bean has been away and doesn't get back until next week. Have resigned myself to watching Strictly and MNing when I'm sure there are a million things I should be doing.

Scout19075 United States Fri 27-Sep-13 22:09:21

I'm watching The X Factor USA and have a to do list the length of my body.

mistlethrush Sat 28-Sep-13 10:05:32

I can't get around to writing a 'to do' list. I think it would depress me too much.

I did get to the gym and had a training session on Weds - and I'm still feeling the effects now!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 29-Sep-13 13:38:11

::waves::

Do you think Mellors might serve Sunday lunch if we asked nicely?

mistlethrush Sun 29-Sep-13 15:00:52

He seems to have magicked something up fairly successfully Maud. I see the trifle has footprints in though...

How's life treating you?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 29-Sep-13 15:26:01

Apart from the footprints in my trifle, pretty well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now