Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 00:33:02

Aww. He's just so cute.

I want to go to bed, but they've got some great music documentaries on BBC4 tonight.

::dilemma::

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 00:36:38

Record it, Maud?

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 00:37:36

I should go to bed, too, but I'm chatting with a school friend of mine who lives in Canada and so is many, many hours behind us time zone wise. I'm keeping her company while she's picking up kids (as in, she's waiting in the car for them).

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 00:38:32

We don't (as far as I can tell) have anything to record it with/onto, now that the days of video are passed, but there is always iPlayer.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 00:39:55

We have just had Glen Campbell with what I always think is one of the most poignant lines of any song -

And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time.

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 00:47:13

That is very deep for 12:45 a.m. on a Sunday night/Monday morning.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 00:49:13

But it's also very beautiful, I think.

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 01:00:16

Indeed. Just very profound for this hour (my brain is starting to go fuzzy).

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 01:12:07

Heat and lateness have reduced my brain to fluff, too.

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 08:29:15

Early starts with broken sleep doesn't help the brain fuzziness.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Mon 15-Jul-13 09:07:06

I feel better this morning than I have for several days, but I was lucky to get to sleep quickly last night and slept through.

What does today have in store?

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 09:30:36

Yay for Maud feeling good!

Not sure about today. I have lots of jobs, some of which are done already (including hand washing the car sear cover and putting it in the sun to dry). We'll have to water all the flowers, etc., today. Probably picnic dinner under the tree. Might go to the park. Or we might just stay close and quiet today since the rest of the week us busy.

How about you?

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 09:32:40

Oh, and SB is currently watching cartoons on You Tube with me. Charlie & Lola is a current You Tube favorite.

Scout19075 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:44:17

My yards are hills, so nit good for paddling pools. If you were a three year old would you like playing with squirt bottles full of water and ice and running around in your swim suit?

beanandspud Mon 15-Jul-13 22:45:13

Evening all!

<<hugs Maud, Scout, LBD, MT and everyone else>>

Just back after a few days away with Small Bean to celebrate the end of the school year. Can't believe that Reception is over. We are loving the sunshine though, had lots of time on the beach and out and about which was just fab.

Scout, we've been through similar phases with Small Bean and they do pass, even though it doesn't feel it at the time. It's very much easier now to reason with him and he's beginning to understand the concept of 'compromise' which is helpful!

Lovely to see you LaBelleDame - Happy Belated Birthday to Wriggle, sounds like a perfect party.

Scout19075 Tue 16-Jul-13 17:31:41

I think, Maud, your theory of squashy bits is spot on. In YOUT today with the car and had a good look. I think it's a combination of straps and speed bumps -- he hasn't peed if we're on normal roads but if falls asleep on the way to MrScout's office which has the speed humps from hell he's in a puddle and it wakes him (pre pants he'd sleep through the bumps). Same happens when entering our housing development and the bumps...fine until we hit them then gets disturbed by a puddle.

Now to work out what to do....

mistlethrush Thu 18-Jul-13 09:09:04

We're on holiday this weekend - who need continental holidays when the weather is like this??? Even I have been swimming (properly swimming) three days so far. The dog is cooling off by joining us - she will come out quite deep if I'm there - and will happily set off on her own if we're not in.

Not sure what you do about the speed humps scout.

We do struggle with getting MC to drink enough - yesterday started badly as he hadn't drunk enough the day before....

UniS Thu 18-Jul-13 22:09:35

Devon, we're in devon, why go anywhere else in this weather.
Glorious isn't it. My very 1st world problem for this weekend is working out WHICH river or beach to go swimming at with in-laws in tow.

Remembering what you do when you live in a hot country, like closing the curtains in the morning before the sun comes up and enjoying the evenings.

We are off to Weymouth tomorrow, on the train, to make fairy castles in the sand. Not my favourite beach; that's Kimmeridge, but fun with small friends and a bucket and spade.

mistlethrush Fri 19-Jul-13 20:48:10

We've been to one beach three times this week (as well as another one too) - its lovely with a stream running down one side that can be dammed - always popular with families so that there are plenty of other children to play with - MC managed to do quite a good line in being the puller of a dinghy with smaller children in whilst their grandmother just oversaw... Ideal I think. And the dog and I have swum too this week.

Pity about the torn ligaments this morning... but otherwise a superb holiday

beanandspud Fri 19-Jul-13 22:14:25

Anyone for a Friday wine?

mistlethrush Sat 20-Jul-13 21:07:54

Definitely. HOme from hols - which were really good until I tore the ligaments in my ankle yesterday morning at which point they became rather sureal (ie rescue in the box trailer of a vintage massey ferguson) and painful... and made me miss a meet up... sad

UniS Sat 20-Jul-13 21:36:43

WOW to the tractor story MT!!! I missed you, but I'm glad your home again in one piece more or less.

I spent much of this afternoon in the river. at a patch that was deep enough to swim a few strokes, had several little waterfalls at one end, and a shallow "beach" at the other, with the deep section being shaded and all of it beautifully cool. Boy had a lovely time too.

mistlethrush Sat 20-Jul-13 21:45:25

I had a lovely holiday with my parents in southern france where we were shown a bathing spot in a river by the owners of the farmhouse we were staying in for the fortnight... It was a glacier fed stream - and the weather was very hot - the contrast was quite something... the first week the maximum time it was possible to be in was about 1min - swimming as fast as possible in the plunge pool created by a small waterfall, swimming against the current. THe second week the melt had slowed down so it wasn't quite so hard to swim against the current, and the stream had warned up a bit by the time it had got there so it wasn't as cold...

Ankle is rather swollen and quite difficult to get around on. I think I'm probably not meant to be getting around on it too much - although they now want you to weight bear immediately so its difficult to know how much you're meant to rest and how much you're meant to weight bear...

Scout19075 Tue 23-Jul-13 21:51:50

We're going to YOU tomorrow where SmallBoy is participating in a children's memory study. They're looking for children 3, 4, 5 & 6 years old. He knows we're going "to the university to play." I think it will be very interesting. The only other studies I've ever participated in have been medical where they take blood and/or ask questions and that's it, so it will be interesting to see a more interactive study (we have to go two consecutive days).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now