Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

Scout19075 Fri 03-May-13 06:50:13

<<Looks around, makes sure no one (but especially JM) is watching>>

<<Quietly unlatches JM's suitcase>>

<<Frees JM's case of her clothes and MrJM's clothes (but leaves JB's clothes)>>

<<Tosses SmallBoy into the emptied case and jumps in after>>

<<Quietly closes the case>>

Sssshhhhh, don't tell JM we're here. I want to go home (even if it's the wrong coast) and a trip to Disney this time of year can't be beat.

mistlethrush Fri 03-May-13 07:12:35

Happy holiday JM! (and Scout wink)

I want bullfinches! [green] We also have coal tits, dunnocks, house sparrows (which are getting very rare) and lots of starlings in the roof. Sometimes a great crested woodpecker on the peanuts. One year a workman accidentally destroyed a song thrush nest and gave me the only surviving naked chick. I fed it on earth worms and harboiled egg yolk mixed with beef and it grew up and fledged. It even learnt to break snail shells on its own - obviously instint - and we released it into the garden. The next summer there was a rather bold thrush on the lawn with fledglings. Could have been the same one - I'll never know. It was certainly less shy than usual.

Scout19075 Fri 03-May-13 13:14:45

Oh blast, I forgot to pack the four passports -- do you think JM will notice if I sneak out to get them and climb back in?

Scout19075 Fri 03-May-13 13:34:26

Oi, JM! Stop sitting on the suitcase trying to close it! SmallBoy is about to scream in protest in here. Cramped quarters and shouting SB is not pleasant! wink I've packed loads of snacks, though, and SB keeps asking if JB would like to share his "rispes" and "chocolate nice" (crisps/potato chips and chocolate mice).

We seem to have potatoes growing in the grow bags. Well done, SmallBoy! We also seem to have a bit of cat grass in the marigolds pot. hmm Carrots growing nicely-ish in the plastic bottle. Lavender has done well and needs a bigger pot already. I have some peppers that need to go into a grow bag but think I'll have to wait until next week to get them in.

Does anyone have any playing with magnets ideas? I have grounding cereal and putting a magnet in (to find the iron in fortified cereal), painting with magnets and using a magnet to test metal/non-metal objects.

UniS Fri 03-May-13 14:31:25

magnets- do you have any "jumping beans" magnets? what age group is this with? iron filings and magnets are entertaining and educational for older children but not so good with smalls .

Scout19075 Fri 03-May-13 14:40:54

Don't have any jumping bean magnets -- are they easy to find? I thought about iron filings but group is 2-6 years old (open to up to 7/8 year olds but oldest that's coming so far is 6) with the average age being around 3.

Jacksmania Fri 03-May-13 15:10:02

Anyone have any idea why my suitcase won't close properly? And why it's gotten a bit lot heavier? grin

Just woke up and having terrible coffee at the hotel by the airport, going to get showered and dressed pretty soon and then on our airplane! I'll post pics smile

<rummages through case>
<scratches head>

Now what's happened to my underwear, where did it go???

stickygotstuck Fri 03-May-13 17:09:01

JM, enjoy the holiday, hope the coffee improves! And thanks for the welcome.

I used to have some of those jumping beans, they were ace! They were all the rage when I was around 7, I think.

All this talk of plants and birds is getting me in the mood to do something about the jungle that lies outside the back door this weekend. I may even plan some actual flowers this year. If anybody is short of house sparrows, please come and take a few from my roof, then I may get to sleep beyond 5am too, angry, chirpy little things.

BelleDame, I am also European (so not so far from home as Scout, but then you are getting a free holiday, aren't you Scout?). Do you all (or does your DH) go back to France often? Is Wriggle being brought up bilingually? DD is and she loves it - for now anyway.

Have a lovely long weekend, everybody!

We only go over once a year, due to also caring for my very very aged mother. Wriggle was bilingual but since she started school she has been reluctant to speak in French. DH always speaks French to her.

I am half German and have lived in Germany and Spain. Anywhere near where you come from?

stickygotstuck Sat 04-May-13 00:55:45

BelleDame, that's what I'm afraid of, DD starts school this year and I think she'll quickly switch to English for most things. However, like your DH, I only ever speak Spanish to her (so that's where from!).
Do you speak German yourself? Did you as a child?

On a separate note, perhaps I should find a more exciting nickname for DD...

No, when I was a child it was thought that a child would be confused with two languages. Before I started school, my mother would sing nuersery rhymes, etc, but I couldn't speak it at all.
That being said, I am quite good at learning languages and learnt German at university. I speak French, Spanish and German; none of them very well, but quite enough to manage. Twenty years back in England and it is all very very rusty. sad Pero puedo defenderme!

What about you - you write totally fluent English and don't sound forrin at all. Were you brought up bilingually?

stickygotstuck Sat 04-May-13 09:00:57

Shame, but like you said, even hearing your mum sing set you in good stead!
I had a boring monolingual upbringing, but I have 'the knack' I guess and studied langs at Uni. Given a twirl to many, but most are incredibly rusty, including my French sad. But they do come back when you start again, don't they? (She says hopefully)

Scout19075 Sat 04-May-13 20:31:39

Who's hidden the pot of magic sleeping dust?!?!

mistlethrush Sun 05-May-13 09:16:33

I have some distant relations that were brought up tri-lingual - different rooms in the house were different languages and you only spoke in that language in that room - and conversations would be in two languages (as participants in two rooms) or change from one to another as people moved through the house....

BUllfinches were an eyeopener coming up here - I never thought (from my sheltered southern upbringing) that I would have bullfinches in the garden. We did have siskins on the bird feeder in our last house - but not in this one (which is closer to the countryside, so really makes no sense!).

MiL likely to be let out on Tuesday. I said the house was a tip... she said I'd better be doing something about it... I managed to bite my tongue and not comment that, if we weren't having to go to the supermarket every day on the way to visit her in hospital to pick up yet another thing that she wants, the house might not be in quite so much of a state.... Its not the only problem, but it certainly doesn't help.

mistlethrush Sun 05-May-13 09:17:19

Scout - I think it got muddled up in mc's lego collection somewhere, probably, given the look of the front room....

Scout19075 Sun 05-May-13 10:06:59

Ooooohhhh, are there " 'rections" for those Lego, MT? If so, SB could come and sort them out for MC. grin He's very good with Lego sets intended for 5/6/7 year olds (especially if the directions/manual is available). It might take him a few hours but he can do it with little/no help.

I'm always envious of bilingual/trilingual/multilingual folks. Wish I was. SB is going to get Latin lessons in a few years. And I know some folks locally who speak German, French, Portugese and sign language so hope to get SB involved in some of those. I'm going to learn Latin along with SB.

mistlethrush Sun 05-May-13 10:10:34

MC started french club at school at 4 and kept it up most of the time and now has actual french lessons.

MC now has some of the 'technic' type lego sets that are quite complicated... although I am sure that he would be very happy to go through one of the truck construction sets that he has. I particularly like the ones where they can build 3 different vehicles from one set as that encourages them to take the vehicle to bits and rebuild....

Scout19075 Sun 05-May-13 10:32:09

Gah, the more I watch Mr Maker with SmallBoy the more I think he looks like SB's Godfather. It's creepy how much he looks like, sounds like and has similar mannerisms to our friend.

Scout19075 Sun 05-May-13 10:32:59

And poor Alex sounds like he has a cold.

Scout19075 Sun 05-May-13 10:36:50

We don't normally watch TV in the mornings but we're at my PiL's for the weekend, they've gone out for the day and MrScout is still in bed. SB was desperate to see if Mister Maker was on television today. I've cleared up all the breakfast stuff, have the second load of laundry in, and have been surfing the web.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sends Christmas baubles cheaply?

UniS Sun 05-May-13 21:07:47

Those 3 in one lego sets are great. Boy also liked lego young. It think its a perk of being an only, you get proper lego younger as there is no little baby sibling to eat the bits.

More bike racing today - boy not doing too well in races currently, his new big bike is heavy for racing and it shows. Ho hum. He IS saving for a racer- he just can't reach the brakes on them yet...

mistlethrush Sun 05-May-13 21:17:15

MC is finding the opposite - he's finding his bike (ie the same one) hugely much lighter than his old one... Not that he's doing any racing of course.. but when the madness has somewhat reduced we shall try going to that bike club that you found for me UniS!

UniS Sun 05-May-13 21:38:06

I guess part of the problem for boy is that he is still a bit of a stick thin whippet who got used to a super light small bike. Anything heavier than the old bike was going to be a big jump up. NOT the only hicup in his racing tho, he does need to stop looking behind him ( freewheeling) , stop scratching his arse mid race ( one hand off bars gently freewheeling ) and get on with pedalling like stink like the other kids do... BUT hey, he is 7 and we are not making a big deal out of it. .

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sun 05-May-13 22:54:52

Hello everybody. I'm afraid this dropped off my Threads I'm On.

Happy holidays JM and Scout and welcome stickygotstuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now