Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

mistlethrush Sun 21-Apr-13 21:34:31

I find behind the door is also often a good place to look. Or in mc's room....

We have done lots of running the dog and mc this weekend - thought plenty of fresh air and exercise would be good for all of us under the current circs. MC's managed to develop freckles over the weekend.

The chinchilla cage is back in the sitting room - she's been in the dining room since we got the dog. Mostly its been OK, couple of barks but she's managed to ignore 'chin cam' and the TV tonight and is fast asleep.....

Jacksmania Mon 22-Apr-13 20:11:22

Urgh, I have a fever blister on my upper lip the size of a sofa. My lip enters any given room minutes before I do. It looks like a duck's bill.

And I'm feeling run down and awful. Felt rotten all weekend. Miserable grey weather, but a strangely bright grey so you couldn't be out without sunglasses. Everyone looked most odd. Then it got sunny Sunday afternoon, far too late in the day to do anybody any good at all. <sigh>

Rant over.

Tea?

UniS Mon 22-Apr-13 21:15:34

brew yes please.

Poor Jacksmama. I suppose wine would make it worse?

Mistle, tell me about the dog. I missed that.

UniS, how true; long post was behind tea-room sofa. But no longer very interesting.

UniS Mon 22-Apr-13 23:08:38

ah well, was it a little more dusty than when you wrote it? or was it slightly covered in crumbs. Most things behind our sofa are both.

I found my stop watch eventually today, neither behind the sofa or the door, it was in my cycle coaching homework.

mistlethrush Tue 23-Apr-13 09:06:31

LBD - mistledog got bone cancer last autumn and went from slight limp to having to be put down in 3 weeks sad. We were doing lots of thinking on what breed of dog (well cross breed) we might consider to be suitable for the family's requirements, and decided upon lurchers - and then managed to find a relatively local lurcher rescue which we visited 2 wks later, and took a dog home with us as a foster dog. She's now ours and lovely - although, aged 2ish, she needed housetraining. We didn't know whether we'd be able to let her off the lead either as we think she's a failed worker - in the pound 3 times that we know of - but she's great and keen to stay with us (well, bound into the distance and bound back) unless its twilight when we're not going to let her off again! grin

We had a choice of 2 on the day - and chose the one that mistlechick didn't immediately say - she was younger, possibly more problematic to home (eg didn't know if she needed housetraining) and the other one was so pretty it was easy to see that she would be homed soon (she was). I also think that she's probably a little bit more robust - which was critical with playing with MC....

Anyway - failed worker, lurcher - chinchilla in the house - difficult combination - so chinchilla has been in the dining room, barricaded at first, and less so later. Apparently she woofed twice at the chin yesterday morning, and only gave her an inquisitive look a few times later, so I think that we're probably sorted.

Scout19075 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:07:47

SmallBoy has just written the three letter variation of his name! shock

Scout19075 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:15:01

He just did again without us needing to spell his name for him. Double shock.

Scout19075 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:22:50

Sorry, that was boring and boasting. blush

It just caught us off guard (and certainly not something I worked on with him or pushed).

mistlethrush Sat 27-Apr-13 09:45:02

Whoop whoop for small scout!

I remember having to point out to nursery that mc had written his name on his picture.... OK, it was in mirror writing but it was clearly his name, with all the right letters in the right numbers.

UniS Sat 27-Apr-13 22:28:13

does MC use the long or short version of his name? Boy SAYS he wants to be called long version but always writes/ calls himself short version. We use short version, swim teacher uses long version, school use short.

Sounds like a lovely dog, Mistle. We have a combination of predators and prey living in the house, but think only once did a guinea get caught by a cat.

Wriggle has a name that is a) phonetic and b) doesn't really shorten easily - although I am sure she'll manage it later. Still a very very late writer.

As a teacher, I had never expected to have a child who, if not of low average acedemic ability (I can't tell), is at least totally uninterested. She likes day dreaming, chatting, playing with fairies, spinning round on the spot, rolling .... nothing constructive in any way.

mistlethrush Sun 28-Apr-13 22:39:58

Mistlechick's name can be shortened - but we call him the long version, and that's what he normally writes - but his teacher calls him a short version.

The only real problem we have with the dog is that she wants the stick that mc has picked up as his 'staff' or 'sword' or 'lightsabre' or whatever... it results in lots of complaints. Personally I don't blame the dog!!!!

MiL has been moved wards and will be starting chemo soon. At least we're moving on to some sort of treatment....

stickygotstuck Mon 29-Apr-13 21:01:26

Hello All smile,

I've been reading through these tea room threads on and off for a year, and I thought I'd finally join you if that's OK. Room for one more soul? Tell you what, I'll tell you my life's story and then you can decide wink.

My only DD is 4.5 YO. DH and I have stuck to one until now by choice. The early days were very tough for me (guess I am a wimp) and I only started to see the light at the end of the tunnel after she turned 3.5.

DD's been through stages of asking, crying even, for a sibling although it has currently eased off a bit. Until now the memories of the early days meant we could not be swayed. It maybe bio-clock ticking (am fast approaching 40), but I am surprised at finding myself vaguely thinking that it would be quite nice to have another baby. DH is exactly the same. DD would be thrilled, that's for sure, but we are totally undecided.

But the clock is ticking and a decision must be made.

Anybody here has been in that situation?

I was, but then the decision made itself. One mc after We=riggle and I realised I could never go through that again. The mc before her birth were somehow different, although no less heart breaking. sad

I am very often very glad to have an only - when I watch others and their squabbles - but occasionally Wriggle wishes for a sister. Not too often - I tell her about my childhood with a sister.

mistlethrush Mon 29-Apr-13 23:53:52

Hello sticky - nice to meet you - I had wondered about the face at the window!

I had 2 mc post mistlechick - but each was overshadowed by the worry that a molar pregnancy was returning as my hcg levels took ages to drop and I had one prior to mc. So - not only heartache of the mc but sheer panic - how on earth would I cope with chemo again and a toddler... It couldn't continue so we have just one. Mind you, a friend said he was like having 3 children grin

DS is now 8 - into everything, reading lots, and very energetic, and we have a relatively new lurcher - rescued.

stickygotstuck Tue 30-Apr-13 10:19:30

Hi LaBelle, Hi mistlethrush.

Very sorry to hear about your mc's and other health issues sad.

LaBelle, that's the other thing that really puts me off - the squabbles. I also had one sister and we never clicked. Was it the same for you? How old is Wriggle?

mistlethrush, you got me! grin. We are thinking pets at the moment, but we are one picky lot and haven't found common ground on that one yet.

mistlethrush Tue 30-Apr-13 10:32:49

Ah, well CMot and I can both recommend rescued lurchers as being ideal for families with enthusiastic, youngish children. My wish list (and I do write one when we've ever thought of a new dog) had 'will play hide and seek in the woods with DS - and she does, very happily (but comes back to check where the rest of the group are too!!!)

Wriggle is 6. She has 1 border collie x, two guinea pigs (at present), 1 rabbit, half a dozen fish of various kinds 6 chickens and, intermittantly, chicks, tadpoles, quails, etc. We all Wriggle and I like animals here.

No, I never quite 'clicked' with my sister, and she is no help whatsoever looking after our very aged mother (one reason why everyone will tell you to have at least two.)

mistlethrush Wed 01-May-13 10:42:45

DH's brother is about as useful as a sack of potatoes in relation to getting elderly relatives. We've been looking after MiL since before Easter - either at home or visiting every day in hospital. BiL came over with nieces - and before coming complained that he wasn't going to have very much 'holiday' with all the travelling he was doing - then conveniently missed the word 'sarcoma' in terms of what's wrong with MiL etc.

I've got a long-tailed tit in the tree outside my office window (which is just starting to come out) - and there was a blue tit fighting itself in my wing mirror when I went to the car in the car park yesterday afternoon grin

brew ?

Scout19075 Wed 01-May-13 16:25:26

Does anyone have any spare stickers than can give to SmallBoy? He's been an absolute super star today -- 4 hours hanging around the hospital, waiting 20+ minutes for the bus (we just missed one so had to wait nearly 1/2 hour for the next), the bus ride to Guiding Village, waiting 20+ minutes for the next bus out of Guiding Village, bus ride to our town, the walk from the bus depot to our house. AND he's had a pee-free & poo-free pants day so the bribe of chocolate train will be rewarded with dinner despite all of this. I feel he needs stickers but I only have star ones left and they seem to have lost some of their magic specialness.

Hi sticky! SmallBoy turned 3 1/2 over the weekend (eek!) and is luffly! (He's recently toilet trained himself so I still use bribery every now again when I know it's going to be a different/challenging day hence the appeal for stickers.) SB is an only for a lot of reasons medical (not MCs like a lot of ladies here but my own health issues), age is against me and, well, SB is lovely and we love our life of a family of three. And being a family of three means we can still go home (I'm American, MrScout is English) at least once a year and even though it's expensive it won't cripple us like it might if we had more.

Have had a really good day medically and have had awesome news from both of the clinics I'm a frequent flyer in so may I offer mid-week, pre-dinner wine? I feel like celebrating.

stickygotstuck Thu 02-May-13 13:12:33

Oh, yes, that old chestnut, elderly parents. My sister has been helpful through the years, credit where credit is due. She lives in the same town as my mum, while I live thousands of miles away, and it was good to have her there when my dad got ill and died a couple of years ago. I am grateful for that, but I also know that she had no choice and she would not even have visited them if I wasn't so far away - mum and her are barely speaking at the moment. That aside, our relationship is usually a source of stress (I am not the only one who finds her character traits, shall we say, tricky). All this means that I am terrified of DD having similar issues with a potential sibling sad. Is that a good enough reason to stick at one, you reckon? Because it's a biggie for me.

mistlethrush, your house sounds like a lovely place to be! I only get house sparrows and the odd blackbird outside my office window envy.

Scout, thanks for the greeting and the intro! Am also forrin grin, so I do appreciate what you are saying. Well done SB! And congrats on the good medical news! I'll have that wine after work today, thanks wink

Sticky, what kind of forrin? I am married to a Frenchman.

We have a pair of goldfinches nesting somewhere in the hedge around the yard. And swallows in the garage roof. And ordinary things like robins, sparrows, blackbirds, various tits and a large and clumsy pairof woodpigeons nesting in the hedge behind the garden.

mistlethrush Thu 02-May-13 22:17:26

Sticky - that was the office, not home... I've seen waxwings in that tree some years!. At home at the moment I've got lots of bullfinch calling, some coal tits, a pair of robins, and quite a few dunnocks. If I wake up at the right time I am hearing the song thrush. I LOVE swallows and am very envy. There are goldfinches around - I love the tinkling song they have.

Jacksmania Thu 02-May-13 23:54:13

<pokes head in, leaves selection of wine and various snacks>

We are off on holiday tomorrow (Disneyland), going to the airport tonight and staying in the hotel there so we don't have to battle horrendous traffic in the morning.

Am at work tonight until 7 pm (stupid me), then bank, home, throw last-minute things in suitcase, drive to hotel, and roll on holiday!!

winewinewine grin grin grin

Much love to you all and welcome sticky smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now