Tearoom 35: Sun, sea and sand...

(990 Posts)
beanandspud Sun 27-Jan-13 20:33:55

This breathtakingly beautiful island has unspoilt powdery white sand beaches, crystalline turquoise waters that wash over pristine coral reefs, and verdant green rainforest.

Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and sailing trips are available and you can discover the island's charms on foot (with or without Mellors the guide) by mountain bike or private island buggy.

For those in need of pampering the spa offers a selection of luxurious treatments to soothe and heal both body and soul.

For dining, enjoy a freshly prepared meal at the tearoom, a picnic on the beach, or a delicious dinner in the oceanfront restaurant with its stunning sea views. There is wine, brew and good company, everybody is welcome.

Staying afloat is, of course, the whole point of the thing.

It's just that swimming lessons are The Thing at our school and all her friends do them.

Childrearing certainly runs in regional / temporal fashions: I was trying to explain bread sticks, humus and butternut squash to AP yesterday, to someone who raised her children on potted-meat sandwiches, uncutup apples shock and eating what grown ups eat.

I spent the bank holiday with friends, strawing down calves, dragging a dead calf out of the bull pen, watched by three bulls standing inches behind us and then eating thick steak sandwiches. Decided not to make the links.

mistlethrush Tue 02-Apr-13 12:12:31

Mistlechick and I have been hacking away over the weekend (still) and people have been avoiding walking near us as a result - I don't blame them.

Its been a bit of a car crash of a weekend with MiL admitted to hospital up here mid-week last week - we're now waiting to find out what sort of cancer she has and whether the prognosis is bad or really bad. So DH has been spending lots of time in and out and sitting with her (understandably), mc and I haven't been to see her because we are not yet well enough. DH had to go down to her house to sort out some things too which hasn't helped - and I'm trying to give some semblance of normality to mc in amidst it all.

Scout19075 Thu 04-Apr-13 14:23:41

What the <<BLLEEEEEEPPPPPPPP>> is up with the snow flurries?!?!?!?

UniS Thu 04-Apr-13 19:26:17

you had them too?

Bitter cold here today. Thankfully I was teaching indoors and boy picked indoor sports.

Scout19075 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:53:32

WHERE is spring?!?!?

Scout19075 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:48:10

Oh, hello Mr Police Officer, what are you doing at my house? Eek! Good thing I was dressed (though wild haired, a bag of rubbish by the door waiting to go out to the bin, and a three year old pushing saying "I want to say hello!").

mistlethrush Fri 05-Apr-13 09:50:49

What was that about Scout?

Lovely sunshine here at the moment.

DH working at home, thank goodness - DS ill, MiL discharged last night to come and stay whilst they try to decide what sort of cancer she has and work out what treatment they're going to give her.

Scout19075 Fri 05-Apr-13 10:01:02

Our ill car out front had a windshield wiper stolen and it appears MrScout reported it but forgot to tell me. I've had more police contact in my seven and a bit years here than my 30 years in the US. Still freaks me out a bit. Also have had lots of contact with powerful government people who helped determine my status despite being a citizen now I still worry about the Border Agency knocking on my door saying it was a mistake.

mistlethrush Fri 05-Apr-13 10:25:56

Glad it was nothing serious at least grin

Scout19075 Fri 05-Apr-13 10:57:21

Blimey, CSI are going to be coming by to dust. shock

Scout19075 Fri 05-Apr-13 11:04:14

Sorry.

Anyway, Friday wine anyone?

MT, how's MC? and your MiL?

<<Waves>> to LaBelle

mistlethrush Fri 05-Apr-13 11:09:09

MC went to bed complaining of a lump in his throat that meant he couldn't swallow - and he didn't manage much supper - and he was sick this morning so certainly no sports camp.

MiL - very pale (unsurprisingly). Still not properly diagnosed - they know she has cancer but don't know what yet - quite how she can have been in hospital for 8 days and they still don't know I really don't know.... Anyway, I've got antibiotics for the cough - but she's been told to keep away from me and I was feeling rotten last night and coughed if I moved much - so kept my distance. Not a great situation.

So sorry to hear about your problems, Mistle. Are you close to MiL and therefore feeling personally devastated or indirectly just trying to keep everyone else going? Not sure, from personal experience, that it is impossible to keep things 'normal' for a 6 or 7 year old. I read a book about children grieving, which said that they 'puddle jump' in and out of grief and anxiety. I suppose the thing to try is to make sure that there are plenty of positive things for him to escape to when he can. A nasty bug won't help.

But it must soon be spring, mustn't it???

<<Waves>> back to Scout and her policeman. How lovely to have someone coming to dust.

Scout19075 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:38

CSI didn't come -- at least that I could tell. SmallBoy and I were out for about four hours today -- we walked to the park, played, walked, played Pooh Sticks and walked home -- and I couldn't see any dust. I'm hoping maybe they'll come tomorrow so that SmallBoy can help get in the way and make fingerprints.

mistlethrush Fri 05-Apr-13 22:00:08

Generally speaking I get on remarkably well with MiL. So, yes, upset for us as a family - because she was moving up back to near us and was planning on being a bit more hands-on with helping with mc. Upset for DH because it just him coping - his brother hasn't even managed to get a card here yet - or flowers - as he's on the continent I can understand the not visiting... Sad for DS because MiL is the only hands-on grandparent on that side of the family - FiL lives 40 mins off and we rarely see or hear from him. My parents are very hands-on grandparents and regularly have him to stay on their own - but, still....

He's got horrid earache this evening - he was sobbing in pain - 111 put me through to a clinician and they said call back if things don't improve but the pain killer should work... initially I wasn't happy, but after 30 more mins it clearly did start working better and he ate some supper, then has gone to bed and sleep which is a relief.

MiL is having to try to stay away from us - even though she is discharged to here - what with me being on antibiotics for the cough and DS now apparently il again - luckily the spare room is spacious (is the largest room) and we've managed to sort out a table and chair, comfy chair, and will get the computer set up on a computer desk tomorrow, so its not just bed alone.

beanandspud Fri 05-Apr-13 23:05:28

Sorry that I've not been around very much. Can I offer anyone brew, wine or homemade bakewell tart?

MT, sorry to hear about MIL, I hope the weekend goes ok, it sounds like one of those 'take it a day at a time' times. <<hugs>>

Not much to report from the Bean house. Small Bean has 'discovered' computer games so we are having the 'how much screen-time is appropriate' dilemma at the moment.

mistlethrush Sat 06-Apr-13 06:49:04

Bean - we've only recently given in to allowing any significant degree of screen time - and that's limited. MC doesn't have a DS either. Stick to your guns if you want to -i doesn't seem to adversely affect how well they can cope with computers as DS seems to be a whizz at them, even though he has hardly touched them at home.

Scout19075 Sat 06-Apr-13 07:27:50

Eek, SmallBoy has a LeapPad2 tablet and an old-style LeapPad that looks like a games console (the first was a present from us on his birthday the other was a gift, the same year, from a friend in the States who was so excited I didn't have the heart to tell her about the one we gave him). He goes in waves of wanting to play with it and not bothering. He's playing with it now -- doing pet tricks by tracing the letters (a skill which he's been trying with paper and crayons/pencils) -- but he hasn't touched it in about six weeks (bar the occasional game while I'm babysitting in the half-an-hour before swimming, when I gave each of the tots a pad for 15 minutes because it's too loud to have stories read). I also don't tend to leave him alone with it, though being a LP tablet he can't go anywhere online with it and is limited to the games on it or his game cartridges (which he knows how to change and put the finished one away). He'll use the computer to email (practice spelling the five words or so he can spell) but I haven't let him play any games on it --and he's always with MrScout or me.

It's a hard balance but for me, right now, the fact that he wants to practice writing on it is fine --because we had four hours outside playing yesterday.

I have so much to do this weekend I don't know where to start!

Can I offer anyone an American-style breakfast?

mistlethrush Sat 06-Apr-13 15:26:10

Mistlechick is feeling very sorry for himself. Its his birthday today, but he's got an ear infection (it had perforated a bit this morning and was leaking) and we've had to go to the out of hours Dr (at least this time it was a nice one, not the old git we got last time that shouted at us both)(I took DH along for support just in case this time!) and he's got antibiotics. So now 3 of us (me, mc and the dog) are all having different medicine 3x a day.

Oh poor you. sad Lots of ear infections down here, too.

Maybe a special un-birthday celebration when you are all better?

mistlethrush Sat 06-Apr-13 21:07:21

We're definitely going to have another 'special' day, and we've discussed that with him - but its still not 'his' birthday.

beanandspud Sat 06-Apr-13 21:43:54

Poor Mistle Family sad

Scout19075 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:33:33

<<Warning: Am about to lower the tone a bit.>>

<<Another warning: Proud mom moment.>>

For some reason SmallBoy has been desperate to do a pee on the toilet today nothing to do with the chocolate train reward for first pee and first poo on the loo, oh no. We were out for four hours today but before we left and when we got home I encouraged him to sit on the toilet. This afternoon we were singing a silly, made up song about pee/peeing on the toilet, pretending to eat lollipops using an empty loo roll tube, and just being silly. Well.... we didn't get a pee out of him but he managed a poo! I was shocked but SB was very VERY proud of himself and looked at me like I was a loon at the fuss/praise heaped on him and mid-event was asking for his chocolate train. hmm

Fingers crossed it's the start!

Scout19075 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:33:49

MT, how are the things there today?

UniS Mon 08-Apr-13 22:46:38

Choc box of requirements for you Mistle. sympathy to MC for feeling rotten in the holidays AND on his birthday, double whammy..

Hurrah for big boy poo in loo scout.

Not QUITE as busy in Chez uni this week as last. but bike club 4 mornings, swimming one afternoon, Work one day ( and childminder for boy). Another bike race on Saturday, and I'm going for a long bike ride on Sunday.

Boy raced yesterday and managed 4th . He IS still getting used to his 24 inch wheeled bike, so bike club this week should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now