Episode 34 - The Tearoom moves to New England

(999 Posts)
beanandspud Sat 22-Sep-12 23:25:15

At this time of year New England is famous for its glorious foliage as billions of leaves change from green to a kaleidoscope of colours. The air is crisp and cool ? perfect for hiking, biking or a drive along back roads, where farm stands are piled high with crunchy apples and orange pumpkins.

Everyone is welcome. There are tea, cakes and wine aplenty so pull up a comfortable chair and join us.

The usual rule applies - no fisticuffs please!

UniS Tue 15-Jan-13 19:03:16

All the best for your adventure in the big smoke Scout. hopefully TS will be so excited about the big boy ness of it all he will be fine.

Scout19075 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:36:55

Mom was able to make an emergency appointment for my grandmother at her (my grandmother's) GP office today. Mom is finally FINALLY getting help. They have seen what my mother, my father, the rest of us have seen/been going through/putting up with for years and is getting worse. Mom also went through her paperwork and found that something my grandmother signed a few years ago does in fact give my mom more power than she thought she had so she (my mom) is able to "override" my grandmother and get her the help/care she needs and if that's in a care facility/home than so be it.

Thank God the wheels are finally turning.

My grandmother is going to be assessed fully (from physical health to mental to financial). And the load will lighten from my Mom's shoulders and hopefully she can start to restore her own health (which has taken a battering worrying about/struggling with/dealing with my grandmother).

beanandspud Tue 15-Jan-13 23:02:42

That's good news Scout, hopefully that will make life a little easier for your mom.

Good luck for your 'adventure' with SB. I often find that as long as Small Bean is well briefed about what is going to happen and what to expect, he surpasses our expectations and behaves fantastically well in situations like that.

Finally home after a snowy trip to the South and an unplanned overnight stay due to the weather. brew and bed for me!

mistlethrush Wed 16-Jan-13 09:23:09

That's a relief for all involved Scout - and particularly good for you to know given the distances... I hope that help gets sorted out for her as soon as possible.

Scout19075 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:03:23

SmallBoy mostly walked on the snow today (had his moments where he just refused to) so "peer pressure" did wonders. He kept telling MrScout about his "walking on the snow with my friends" tonight.

We picked up the train tickets for Friday. SmallBoy was very excited to go to the train station but slightly cross that we weren't going on a train today. "Go to the train station for tickets but SB not go on train today!" You can only access the platform by going through the barriers (which SB was not impressed by as he wanted to get closer) but we were able to watch out of a window and see a few trains before we left. That placated him. The man I bought our ticket from gave me a blank ticket for SB so he could have one on Friday, too though I don't think he was meant to do that it was a very nice thing for him to do.

bean, SB is the same way. We always tell him a rough plan for the day then step by step of what's likely to happen next if we're in a new situation or it's something big/exciting (or even little and boring). We have very few meltdowns as a result (and a very compliant boy because he knows what's coming up and what's expected of him). We "hear" it if we haven't given him an idea of what's happening but as soon as we tell him he settles. I sometimes wonder if, as a result, we treat him too "grown-up" but find he's just happier if he knows what's going on (even if only an outline of what might).

I'm not so worried about SB's behaviour Friday but that if he gets tired I can't carry him for any distance (he's just too long and too heavy for me to do it) and the diaper bag (a backpack, so not too bad) and his little suitcase of PJs, toys, books, Bunny, etc.

mistlethrush Thu 17-Jan-13 09:37:08

MC has a suitcase with wheels and feels very important pulling that along (he's had it quite a long time now, certainly had it when SS's age Scout. He now also has a lovely Samsonite back pack (NCT sale bargain) which holds his books etc - now he's bigger he can carry all he needs for a week away in his small suitcase and backpack (which meant that my mother just had to carry a bag with his wellies and spare waterproof etc when she collected him on the train).

I hope the journey goes well.

Scout19075 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:58:39

SB got this for his birthday from Grandmom & GrandadScout. He loves it. I have some cute pictures of him pulling it through the airport on our way back to the UK. Now whenever we go away I use it to hold his books, a couple of toys, PJs and Creamy (Bunny).

mistlethrush Thu 17-Jan-13 14:09:50

That's very similar to MC's (which has bees on) - its amazing how much more attractive walking a mile with that in tow is (apparently) than walking a mile (or even half) without it grin

Scout19075 Thu 17-Jan-13 14:18:51

Yes, I couldn't get SB to ride in his stroller at Heathrow after only three hours of sleep on the plane because "SB want to pull SB suitcase!!!"

Second week of "big boy swimming" and other than a wobble about the swim cap (I accidentally pulled his hair getting it on) SB was quite happy to go off and join in.

Scout19075 Thu 17-Jan-13 21:08:56

Anyone fancy a brew?

beanandspud Thu 17-Jan-13 21:31:58

Yes please Scout! Have a cookie for dunking!

Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure it will be fine. I agree with you about having fewer meltdowns when we have briefed Small Bean beforehand. And yes, I also wonder whether we treat him too much like a mini-adult but so far it's working ok for us.

What's the weather doing down there? We've had a freezing but lovely winter wonderland today with all of the frost on the trees but suspect it will be snow tomorrow and chaos on the roads.

Scout19075 Thu 17-Jan-13 22:02:36

I'm soooo cold!

mistlethrush Fri 18-Jan-13 08:58:29

Bean - MC is definitely up for showing small bean the tree house one weekend. Not sure the coming one will be sensible given likely weather conditions though!

I think warm drinks and hot crumpets are in order - there seem to be small footprints in the butter though....

beanandspud Fri 18-Jan-13 09:10:00

MT - I was going to contact you earlier in the week and suggest this weekend but not sure it's the most sensible plan at the moment!

We haven't had any snow overnight, Small Bean was most disappointed! Tea and crumpets sounds like a very good idea!

mistlethrush Fri 18-Jan-13 09:11:50

Thinking about it... how are Fridays for you? I'm having next Fri off and MC has an inset day type thingy....

Scout19075 Fri 18-Jan-13 09:23:19

No snow here in YOUT and area. At hospital now having breakfast before my appointment.

Jacksmania Fri 18-Jan-13 15:56:48

Morning all.
Will b e back once I've read back a bit.

mistlethrush Fri 18-Jan-13 16:03:25

<passes coffee to JM>

Scout19075 Fri 18-Jan-13 16:26:24

SB was a SuperStar!

Jacksmania Fri 18-Jan-13 19:23:39

Yay Scout smile and yay SB smile

<glugs coffee>

So. How's everyone today?

Jacksmania Fri 18-Jan-13 19:43:18

Just read back, Scout, I'm so glad your grandmother is going to be assessed properly and is finally getting help. What a relief!!

UniS Fri 18-Jan-13 19:58:25

Pass us a coffee too.

Snowy day here, but very wet snow so the kitchen is now full of soggy mittens and coats. Kids were not allowed to play out at school ( boo hiss, but understandable I think ) so after school a small group of local families hit the park and made a HUGE snow sculpture.

I haven’t yet decided if I am going to risk the 20mile drive south along the edge of the moor for bike club in the morning... high risk of icy roads.

Scout19075 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:24:35

Sorry, I was on my phone early so hard to post properly.

SB was BRILLIANT today. Absolutely, positively a superstar. It was such a long day with way too much time spent waiting for blood tests (over an hour in a small, hot, cramped space) but he was brilliant. (Proud mum alert) I had no less than four compliments from other patients & nurses about how well behaved SB was and how polite. One was even from someone who had been waiting for blood tests nearly as long as I had been (so stuck in the same small, hot, cramped space). And hardened London commuters were cooing over the little boy in a red fleece sweatshirt pulling his little suitcase behind him, holding his mum's hand, saying "We're going on the toe-buh (tube) now! Hold my hand and don't get lose (lost)!"

Scout19075 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:26:06

UniS, I'd be inclined to wait until the morning. I don't know about where you are but to me things here in Berks aren't nearly as bad as people were making it out to be. But I know you're weather is a bit more unpredictable.

How are you, JM?

Scout19075 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:29:49

And stupid hospital is now talking about delaying things until 2015. angry To a point I get their position but I fear it's just not acceptable. I had to keep my American tendencies to get vocal/assertive down and do think the nice, young, new-to-me doctor was flustered by my very direct questions and statements such as "I have huge concerns at being pushed back to such a date and have the following reasons/issues...."

I'm going to make an appointment to speak to the GP again before I get really pushy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now